Nomadland (film)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would very much love to see this film but $25 is more than a week’s food. (I’m finally losing the weight I need it to) I am traveling without an emergency fund and every time I hear Bob or others talk about how you need one I shutter. It will Be a couple years before I see this film.

When it gets released to DVD videos the price to see it online will drop off. Of course some people will be buying the DVD and/or digital download. It is likely to skow up on Redbox rental summer of 2021.

highdesertranger said:
how can an online showing be sold out?  highdesertranger

The studio wants to limit the number of people seeing it, I guess. The film industry has strange priorities.

It's a great movie!  Wonderful story, characters, and many people you may know or recognize...  Bob, Suanne, Linda May, Swanky, and others who participated but maybe didn't have lines in the final movie.  I was impressed how well the director portrayed the resilience, strength, determination, and independence of nomads in a noble context.  McDormand draws you in with an epic performance.  Make no mistake, it's a story of hardship and coping... but it's as close to real as you can get.

This limited viewing event is being conducted as an exclusive film festival type of showing. That is why it has high prices and limited showings. You can't compare it  directly to renting videos on Amazon, NetFlix, Youtube, etc. This is a prerelease event for a selective audience. There are lots of selective audience events in the "arts" which includes films, music concerts, art gallery showings, museum exhibit openingsspecial showings of stage plays. . So just realize this particular showing of Nomandland falls in that classification of exclusive arts events rather than movie theaters or video rentals.   The film industry has its own way of doing things, they insist that everyone understands they are part of "THE ARTS". Like it, don't like it, but try to understand and respect it because it is their tradition and they like to honor their members by doing these things.

I presume they are doing the absolute minimum to be eligible for this year’s Oscar’s. The current full release date is February, around that same time.

The studio wants to limit the number of people seeing it, I guess. The film industry has strange priorities.

Yeah like, Marketing, creating Consumer Demand and... $$$$$

I will have to put this film on the way more then I will pay to watch. I have seen a few decent "independent"(not sure what that means anymore..?) film trailers but then they lock up the video and demand $20-$30 for it. Seems to be the new marketing angle.

I get that a film takes a massive amount of work and artists should get paid but I feel like they are trying to harvest way too much from each potential viewer.

We won't know what it will cost to rent it online after it is released in the movie theater. I am no going to try and second guess that and condem a movie distrpibutor until I see the actual cost. This film is not yet at that stage due to issues the whole film industry is facing at present.  No holiday season blockbuster movies in the theaters this December.

I'm watching it today at 7pm et through Film at Lincoln Center Virtual Cinema. Will let everyone know how it is. It is only $12.00 to watch it but it is sold out every other day other than today!!!!

Just finished watching, interesting movie and I believe worth the 12 bucks. Fern the main character definitely was the right person for the part. Saw Bob Wells and Suanne, plus quite a few others. One lady Fern interacted with mentioned a book I just bought called Final Exit, interesting book. Fern does many jobs throughout the film, Amazon, Campground host, Beet harvest etc. All in all I would say it would be a movie all would enjoy!!!!

One of our two local cinemas was Regal and they are permanently closed, out of business so soon we will no longer have the option to go in person. Our Regal cost $12. but they had recliners that were super comfortable for those of us with bad backs who couldn’t sit longer periods. It was one the few treats I allowed myself every few months aside from the lockdown little by little where I live everything I enjoy has left or been cut. So sad.

I haven't seen that, but I have seen a few van life shows pop up on Amazon Prime Video.
Just searching "van life" brings up three, Van Life, The Meaning of & The Reality of.

I've seen the meaning and reality ones, not bad, I enjoyed seeing movies about the life style.
There was also another one on Amazon I'd watched, something wanderers or something like that but can't seem to find now.
Edit: Found it, Wandering down the road.

Any who, after seeing this post it reminded me of the surprise i had to see such videos on other than You Tube lol