No sugar challenge?!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squid said:
Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off by Bob Briggs
He lost some 150 lb by eating less than 20g/day carbs
Pretty interesting

Insulin prevents lipolysis and triggers hunger...so don't trigger your insulin.
I love that guy!

My most recent wife was demanding that I go get a sleep study done because of all the gruesome noises I was making while sleeping and trying to breathe.  I said screw that ain't gonna happen and started eating in a way more appropriate for an obese diabetic. Still workin it 3 years later and my goal is within reach.

My .02

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

I had a sleep study done, it did determine I had sleep apnea. The important thing about it for me is I found that when sleeping on my right side I have a very low incidence of sleep interruptions. That helped me to know that by sleeping in a certain way at night I can get a good nights sleep without a CPAP, and once I was more aware of my sleep patterns I also found that losing weight gave me a much better sleep also. I was really surprised to find that laying on my back was 30-60 sleep interruptions an hour. A past wife of mine died from sleep apnea in the night, so it is nothing to fool around with, not to mention the mini strokes you can have at night if it is really going on.

trailsailor said:
>>Your tone as a 'nutrition coach' strikes me as just more fat shaming<<

Fat shaming? What is fat shaming? Is that the term fat people use nowadays so they can claim victim status and remain swaddled in layers of excess adipose?

Nothing in Sondra's post hinted at shaming you Tooley. If you click on the link in her signature line you will see a pleasant looking woman who actually has some experience helping people just like you (fat and stressed out).

Getting advice from the ADA or using their guidelines for diabetes management is dangerous and it doesn't work, period.

If you choose to be part of the 'fat acceptance' crowd and are comfortable with waddling your way through life and sucking on a cpap machine every night til you keel over from a heart attack then carry on.

If you want to fight the fight then do so with gusto and commitment,  never give up, never give in.  It's hard.

I am diabetic myself and hope to reach my high school weight this winter-spring (30 lbs to go). My highest weight was 265 wearing 44" pants. Currently 195 in 36" pants.

My most recent wife was demanding that I go get a sleep study done because of all the gruesome noises I was making while sleeping and trying to breathe.  I said screw that ain't gonna happen and started eating in a way more appropriate for an obese diabetic. Still workin it 3 years later and my goal is within reach.

My .02

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

I'll trade you my stress any day and we'll see how you manage.

Ms. Rose gave medical advice that had some merit, but also has problems which I have experienced and are becoming widely known.  I am quite strict with my diet and exercise, believe me.  It won't be heart attack, most likely it will be from FDA approved products.  I merely cited those problems and you have chosen to attack me for that.

The baby boomer generation is rife with perverts that project their own failings onto the vulnerable.  We need to strip the social security from the passive aggressive yuppie pervert predators and give them the urban concentration camp of their corporate sell out rape state.

It's never too late to grow up.

DLTooley said:
The baby boomer generation is rife with perverts that project their own failings onto the vulnerable.  We need to strip the social security from the passive aggressive yuppie pervert predators and give them the urban concentration camp of their corporate sell out rape state.

Whoa, what's all that about?

Well that did not go as hoped...not the challenge, but the response :(

Thanks to all who posted good ideas and links. Sorry to any that felt maligned or attacked. My  intent was to promote a healthy change.
To that point, on day 4 I am feeling great. 
Still too cold to get a long walk in so Soren and I opt to hang by the inside campfire.

IMG_0371.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    977.3 KB · Views: 14
The lower carb is a definite benefit, and I've stayed with that. The two books I read talked about an adaptation period and I toughed it out for six weeks. It cost me a year of recovery. Being a little bit less active is probably a good thing. There was some support for that in the books, but I don't know how what methodology was behind that conclusion.

This diet could be considered a modification from the Atkins, substituting fat calories for protein. I suspect one of the posters above was an successful follower of Atkins. There are health issues with too much protein as well. There are ways of getting those electrolytes/minerals and I'd study up on that sooner rather than later. It may well have been my problem that I'd done enough damage so that I wasn't recovering while still in ****. Personally, I'm very sure the diuretic was a big part of the problem. I was able to stop diuretic use without swelling up.

I will try again and go with more of an intermittent approach. amping carbs when I'm exercising. Long slow hikes will get you into **** as well, but my fitness has not been up enough to do more than 3 or 4 hours max. FWIW, the two other people I know who tried it were not able to keep it up either, not sure how long/hard they tried. One of them was Linda Sands of the Sandcastle who should be familiar to some people here.

For me, my thinking is nothing but complex carbs. My idea is that you want all the veggies you can eat with a taste satisfying amount of healthy fat. An ideal meal is a big salad with some meat or a stir fry. I also make a wicked turmeric bacon chicken soup, the bone broth is supposed to help with adaptation as well.

I hope it works well for you, let us know how it goes. And definitely keep those carbs down, even if the super low doesn't work for you.

I hope it works for you, let us know how it goes.

My younger son had acid reflux, could not get ahead of it. I was looking for some jeans with an elastic waistband that looked decent, not an easy thing to do, and found a lady who said that her acid reflux ended when she started wearing the elastic waisted. Well, while it may not help everyone it helped her and my son. No more tight waistbands for him!

Also, someone mentioned stevia. Again, this may not apply to everyone, but it gave me and my friend both diarrhea.

Snow Gypsy said:
My younger son had acid reflux, could not get ahead of it.  I was looking for some jeans with an elastic waistband that looked decent, not an easy thing to do, and found a lady who said that her acid reflux ended when she started wearing the elastic waisted.  Well, while it may not help everyone it helped her and my son.  No more tight waistbands for him!

Suspenders and slightly loose non-elasticized waistband. ..Willy.

Snow Gypsy said:
Also, someone mentioned stevia.  Again, this may not apply to everyone, but it gave me and my friend both diarrhea.

Thanks.  I've got  IBS issues, 90% diet controlled.  I haven't noticed problems with Stevia, but I don't use very much either.  I'll keep my eyes open, as it were.

Latest posts