No Refrigeration MEALs for One

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this thread popped up again I wanted to mention that bean chips have been a very happy discovery for me. Fast, easy protein that doesn't require refrigeration.

Bitty said:
Since this thread popped up again I wanted to mention that bean chips have been a very happy discovery for me. Fast, easy protein that doesn't require refrigeration.

I have discovered the "Harvest Snaps" brand Lentil Bean Crisps, in various flavors.  Baked instead of fried, so maybe a bit less unhealthy than tater chips.

[size=medium]from a friend, ReneeG, came these hints:[/size]
[size=medium]Seeds of Change Quinoa and Brown rice seasoned packets. [size=medium]I open a tiny corner of the package, then reheat in a pot of boiling water. I eat half for dinner, roll the package up tightly, then use for a breakfast omelette,[/size][/size]
[size=medium]Tasty Bites has a brand of cooked Lentils in a pouch that you can eat as is. I open a tiny corner of the package, then reheat in a pot of boiling water. Omelette in the morning with remainder.[/size]
[size=medium]The Essential Baking company makes a vacuum packed sourdough bread that stays fresh for months unopened. You can "bake" it on a grill. I haven't tried this, yet.[/size]
[size=medium]Chef Samy has a butter spread that stays fresh on your shelf for up to six months. 7 different flavors. Very good reviews.There is also coconut oil and ghee.[/size]
[size=medium]pickles, mustard, catsup, mayo, jams, oils, peanut butter all survive out of fridge ... just use a clean dry utensil every time (even better is to get squeezable jars).[/size]

masprema said:
[size=medium]pickles, mustard, catsup, mayo, jams, oils, peanut butter all survive out of fridge ... just use a clean dry utensil every time (even better is to get squeezable jars).[/size]

opened mayo survives out of the fridge?

bigsallysmom said:

You can get mayo in little foil packets in bulk, like you see in restaurants.  Those you use up in a single serving, so no need for refrigeration.  

My personal favorite, so far, is to take your dry cereal of choice and place it in a square plastic tupperware container.  I then add the "correct" amount of both granulated sugar and powdered milk, and close the lid.  I make several of these and stack them inside one of my plastic tubs.  
They pack away small and light and last a long time.  I use the square shape because they stack and store more compactly.  

When it comes time for breakfast, or cereal in the middle of the night, I simply add the proper amount of water, close the lid, and gently shake the contents until they mix together.  

Voila!  A bowl of cereal!  :cool:  No cooking, no complicated preparation, no refrigeration.  Just add water. 

I like this system because I don't have to store a big box of breakfast cereal, a big bag of sugar, and an even bigger box of those envelopes of powdered milk. 
The tupperware inside of the plastic tubs is fully mouse-proof and out of the way.

Many dehydrated items can be purchased at restaurant supply companies.  I like the dehydrated hash brown potatoes and refried beans especially.

Coffee Tim

"The tupperware inside of the plastic tubs is fully mouse-proof..."

You have not met Florida mice.  They'll bore through the Tupperware like wee buzzsaws.  Instant ruined food.  When camping or traveling, my food is in metal or glass containers.

I keep mustard and ketchup out at home, but not mayo.  I guess I picked up Mom's habit of not trusting Mayo kept out too long.

My standard very filling camping meal is a can of chicken noodle soup, add a splash of lemon juice, heat to boiling, add an egg and swirl gently to cook the egg. Top with a bit of cheese. Delicious and filling.

Nancy

LeeRevell said:
You have not met Florida mice.  They'll bore through the Tupperware like wee buzzsaws.  Instant ruined food.  When camping or traveling, my food is in metal or glass containers.

I keep mustard and ketchup out at home, but not mayo.  I guess I picked up Mom's habit of not trusting Mayo kept out too long.

In Seattle my storage unit requires that any food stored absolutely must be in glass or metal storage containers. I asked about it and they said it's to prevent rat infestations.

I have experienced mayo going bad before. It smelled so awful it was obvious that eating it was a no-go. I trust as fact that it is possible to keep it out without spoiling, but for the way I use it it's definitely not probable. Even though keeping it in the fridge, I can't always keep my fridge running as cold as I'd like. I actually ended up buying smaller jars of mayo for this reason.

bigsallysmom said:

I have lived without ever putting it in the fridge. I use a squeezeable plastic bottle, that way I don't get bits of bacteria inside. (Before squeezeable I made sure to use clean, dry utensil to scoop it out.)The mayo does separate in hot, very hot, weather. I don't use it after it separates. 
I am not sure how safe it is, but I have never gotten sick.

Before going to RTR, I had ordered a Vittles Vault 15 that Bob had mentioned in a reply. They are made by the Gamma Seal company and the purpose is to store dog food safely (keeping out mice and other vermin).

I have to say, it is heavy duty and I can see NO way a mouse could ever get in. i used the Amazon search box on Bob's blog to order mine.

I've only had a problem with mice in one place, a popular spot near Socorro, NM, in a box canyon popular for rock climbing. The gravel parking area where you can legally camp had a dumpster at one end -- and evidently a hardy and definitely not shy hoarde of mice.

The size of vault I got held things like peanut butter (a mouse top fave), my bread, crackers, etc. It was sufficient for my needs, and I may order another one (or a bit larger one) to move more of my food supply to a vault when I head out again in the spring.

I keep my Natural PB in it's glass jar - very safe from the rodentia.  I have seen them go through thick plastic, when they really want get to something.  Maybe that container is made of an unpalatable-to-rodents plastic?
Being a "gun guy" I always have a couple extra steel ammo cans that I can use for food storage, just in case.

I guess I've just been lucky.  I've never had rodent issues inside my van.  The idea that rats and mice were *inside* my van would creep me out more than it would bother me they were chewing their way into my food!  :s  

I'm an animal lover and don't kill anything if I don't have to, but if I find rat turds inside my van, I'm setting up traps!  :D

masprema said:
I have lived without ever putting it in the fridge. I use a squeezeable plastic bottle, that way I don't get bits of bacteria inside. (Before squeezeable I made sure to use clean, dry utensil to scoop it out.)The mayo does separate in hot, very hot, weather. I don't use it after it separates. 
I am not sure how safe it is, but I have never gotten sick.
I got sick from bad mayo once and that was enough.  Now it stays in the refrigerator unless I'm using it.

I've been looking at shelf stable milk but I haven't tried it yet.  Any experience?  It is stable at "room temperature" for months, but I wonder about "van temperature". 

Check out the baby food aisle - small packages of fruits, veggies and meat, no frig required.  The texture may be lacking (unless your short on dentition:)) but it's an easy way to add flavor and nutrition to soups, sauces, etc.

mayble said:
I've been looking at shelf stable milk but I haven't tried it yet.  Any experience?  It is stable at "room temperature" for months, but I wonder about "van temperature". 

Check out the baby food aisle - small packages of fruits, veggies and meat, no frig required.  The texture may be lacking (unless your short on dentition:)) but it's an easy way to add flavor and nutrition to soups, sauces, etc.

We used shelf stable milk in the Navy while at sea.  Nasty stuff, much like canned evaporated milk.  NOT good on your cereal.  The chocolate flavor wasn't quite as bad (chocolate does make anything taste better!) but still not good.
The dry powdered milk products have improved though, so I'd suggest giving them a try.