No Refrigeration MEALs for One

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterMs

Reaction score
My good friends would all laugh if they heard I posted ANYthing having to do with cooking, but I came across what I consider an interesting older blog post (thanks to Pinterest) that many here might enjoy reading. The woman lives on a boat but did a post on what she was taking for a TENT camping trip in hot weather with no refrigeration. (The no-bake chocolate-oatmeal cookies have me drooling.)

The title about meals with no refrigeration caught my attention because I have only a cooler and any ice I buy is usually gone by the third morning after a shopping trip.

Here is the link to her article: http://theboatgalley.com/refrigeration-meals/

I also noticed in her post that she uses some ingredients that are healthy yet come in very small cans or jars (like black olives and mushrooms). The reason I note this is that, with no refrigeration, I am constantly looking for very small cans of veggies, meats and fruits. If I have leftovers, I have no way to store them safely. Thus I tend to eat meals consisting of one thing plus crackers or bread (like a tuna pouch with bread or crackers for lunch and then a small can of a vegetable with crackers for dinner). I do add fruit or such, but I try to not waste the food I open so my "meals" get very basic and boring.

I'm thinking that the black olives come in a small can and could be added to my tuna pouch, and that olives left over would not "spoil" for at least a day or two...right?

So perhaps others who read the food posts can offer advice or ideas for other tasty "small packaged" foods that can withstand an extra day or two with no refrigeration?

I like hashbrowns but they are too much hassle. I found the Idahoan brand very good. Soak in water a bit and then fry to a golden brown. Only soak what you want and the rest goes back into your dry storage. They are pretty cheap too.

Tuna...OMGoodness, we just got 8 small jars of fresh, home canned tuna from Margie's sis here in Oregon. It blows away the store stuff.

bindi&us said:
I like hashbrowns but they are too much hassle. I found the Idahoan brand very good. Soak in water a bit and then fry to a golden brown. Only soak what you want and the rest goes back into your dry storage. They are pretty cheap too.

Tuna...OMGoodness, we just got 8 small jars of fresh, home canned tuna from Margie's sis here in Oregon. It blows away the store stuff.

Oh my! I had no idea dehydrated hash browns exist. Thanks so much. This could be a "base" once reconstituted for a small can of a vegetable or such, because you are right about taking out just the amount I'd eat for a meal and sealing up the rest of the opened pouch.

Regarding the tuna...it seems a bit cruel to bring that up without offering to me a sample. :D

You just head right on over and enjoy some with us. We're having a fun time along the coast...even getting in some kite flying ;)

When I was alone, I'd split up packages of things like Rice a Roni into single portions.
I used to cruise the store shelves looking for things that will store easily and work for small servings.

another note, things like black olives I wouldn't worry about saving overnight without refrigeration just seal them up. I do like the old timers did before refrigeration for a lot of stuff that's cooked in a pot. cook your meal and eat. then put the lid back on and reheat, leave the lid on and let it cool naturally do not lift the lid until the next day when you reheat it. I use this method a lot never had a problem. make sure your pot has a tight fitting lid the tighter the better. this works best with soups and meals with a high liquid content so you can boil whatever it is you are trying to preserve. however I have done with lots of other foods as well. you just need to get the hang of it and not burn your food. highdesertranger

HDR,
I had not heard of that old-time method. My guess is that the second heating and cooling creates a vacuum because of the tight lid. So it's a little like your leftover food is "canned" again in the pot. Just a guess. Not sure I have a pot and lid that fits very tightly but I'll try to before I take off for RTR this year.

Sounds like you never experienced any "severe" results of spoiled food while trying to get it right.

My opinion is that most people are too over-cautious of spoiled food.

Sure, food poisoning is a real thing, and no one wants it. But how do you think people survived for thousands of years before the refrigerator was invented? Exercise a little common sense, is all. As HDR said reheat foods with a high liquid content. Heavily salted items (bacon) will keep at room temperature a while. Salting and candying were both early methods of food preservation.

I regularly eat stuff that's been out a day or two or more. The only time I've gotten sick eating something was with dairy. Do pay attention to dairy. :)

One favorite of mine is the green olives with pimento. They don't need to be refrigerated after opening.

Many smoked meats, poultry, and fish don't need to be refrigerated either.

Instant potatoes are always good, and they can also be fried for a different texture and taste.

Tortillas last longer than bread.

Sometimes I'll purchase a pre-made single serving salad, then add canned shrimp, crab, salmon, chicken, turkey, ham, or something to it. Bacon bits are something else that needs no refrigeration.

There are lots of powdered seasonings that can spice up your life as well.

The various brands of "Ready To Eat" rice pouches require no refridgeration, and you can add a foil pouched meat to it.  I eat a lot of canned meals, some of which come in smaller cans, like chili.
Hormel's "Completes" ready to eat meals offer many non-fridge flavors.  Other brands offer similar items.

Thanks for the link!! Awesome website, I'm getting so many ideas! :)

Canned foods are a great invention. Prepared foods with heavy sodium and sugar are not for long term diets. What? one can of tuna isn't one meal?

A woman at the last RTR had a unique meal system. She bought large containers of freeze dried vegetables and fruit, grains and pasta, and spices. Then she mixed different combinations of the ingredients into baggies to make meal sized portions - just add water and cook. I'm not sure what she used for protein. I think that she gave a little talk at her camping spot for anyone who was interested. Anyone here attend it?

ccbreder said:
Canned foods are a great invention. Prepared foods with heavy sodium and sugar are not for long term diets. What? one can of tuna isn't one meal?

LOL, cc,

Yes, I do eat the entire pouch of tuna (I like the foil packets) for one meal. But if I had refrigeration, I might have some canned green beans, the tuna and maybe another vegetable for a meal...to get my 5 a day. But if I opened a can of green beans, the tuna and then another veggie to make a plate like a normal dinner, I'd have two cans of veggies to store that were not finished or even eaten halfway. Sorry I did not make that clear for my question. I was looking for ways to add "small" items to make a better meal without opening so many cans or packets.

The ideas for dry things that can be split up are great. I have enjoyed instant potatoes with nutritional yeast mixed in when in s&b -- so the reminder of that is a good one, too. The nutritional yeast (NOTyeast for making bread rise) gives it a butter-like flavor without the butter.

And I do like a few of the prepacked things like Compleat Dinners -- but I try not to do those every day when on the road because they do have a lot of sodium.

I like peanut butter and Hazelnut spread (tastes like chocolate but is very nutritious). I like to eat them on a variety of crackers too which also keep indefinitely.
I love Vienna sausages on crackers with those little mayo packets. Vinegar is your friend. Anything pickled lasts a while too as most bacteria won't grow in an acid environment.
When I was a kid we'd grow garlic and hang it on our door all year. Bugs don't like it but mold dose if you don't keep it dry. It's great for seasoning some pasta with a little olive oil. Garlic powder will do in a pinch
I also eat those little dried shrimp like candy, as is, but thy are good in a gumbo too, along with rice, rice baby. They are salty so eat sparingly. For variety, small cans of mustard sardines on saltines are great too. You can even chop up all kinds of sardines and saute with some fresh veggies and garlic in a little olive oil and serve over pasta.
Fresh, uncracked yard eggs can easily keep 2-3 weeks off refrigeration if kept dry. Some suggest even longer, but I wouldn't chance it. Once refrigerated, eggs should be kept refrigerated, however.
There are certain types of hung cured/smoked "country" ham and sausages that can be kept unrefrigerated. Be sure and ask the butcher, but if it's hanging unrefrigerated in his shop then you can assume it's safe to keep it this way for a while. Just make sure it stays dry, keep the mold and the flies off it and you're good to go. Most of these cured meats are pretty salty though, so they are best used to season beans. BTW, red beans and rice are my favorite storable food. You can even get mountain house freeze dried single serve packets at Academy and other sporting goods stores (though a little pricy) for when you're in a hurry. When you have a couple mouths to feed, soak some dried red beans for a few hours, pour off the water and replace with fresh water (to reduce flatulence) add some onions, garlic bay leaf, a little cured ham or tasso, cook up a pot of rice and invite some friends over, to help you eat em' up, Mon Cher. Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler!

Ever thought about making your own sushi? Not the raw fish variety, though you could make some with canned tuna salad, but with fresh avocados and crunchy cucumbers in season. Or how about sushi made with pickled Japanese veggies, like: takuan (pickled daikon). yamagobo (pickled burdock root), (kampyo) strips or reconstituted dried gourd, various types of pickled cucumbers, etc. Boil and season rice with vinegar, salt and sugar and carefully roll in dried laver seaweed (which keeps indefinitely unrefrigerated.) A rolling mat and a sharp knife helps, but without those you could just make a couple handrolls! Sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve with pickled ginger and reconstituted wasabi powder with a small dish of soy sauce for dipping (which also keeps unrefrigerated). Gourmet food without refrigeration for special occasions or when you want to treat yourself. Another condiment found in Asian gourmet stores is furikake, an assortment of dried Japanese seasonings that goes great over hot steamed rice. Katsou fumi furikake is my favorite, but there are several tasty varieties available to make a simple dish of rice, perhaps a pickled umeboshi plum, and a few pickled veggies a satisfying, exotic meal. Add a few drops of soy, tamari, tempura or ponzu sauce (for variety) and enjoy. It also keeps indefinitely.

Here's a list of 31 foods that should be kept unrefrigerated, according to the USDA. http://dailysavings.allyou.com/2014/07/22/non-refrigerated-food/

Chip

sushidog said:
 Another condiment found in Asian gourmet stores is furikake, an assortment of dried Japanese seasonings that goes great over hot steamed rice. Katsou fumi furikake is my favorite, but there are several tasty varieties available to make a simple dish of rice, perhaps a pickled umeboshi plum, and a few pickled veggies a satisfying, exotic meal. Add a few drops of soy, tamari, tempura or ponzu sauce (for variety) and enjoy. It also keeps indefinitely.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Furikake on fresh rice with a little sauce is awesome.  :D [/font]

Libby's has a product. Small cups of canned vegetables, grown and packed in the USA. Four 4 once individual cups packaged together. I found them next to the regular canned vegies in the market. I have tried green beans, peas, diced carrots, and corn. They seem a little lower on salt. Marked as heat in microwave, or eat as is. I use them with a bit of ground cow to make a sort of stew. I have also used the carrots with tomatoes on spaghetti.

sushidog said:
Or how about sushi made with pickled Japanese veggies, like: takuan (pickled daikon). yamagobo (pickled burdock root), (kampyo) strips or reconstituted dried gourd, various types of pickled cucumbers, etc. Boil and season rice with vinegar, salt and sugar and carefully roll in dried laver seaweed (which keeps indefinitely unrefrigerated.) A rolling mat and a sharp knife helps, but without those you could just make a couple handrolls! Sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve with pickled ginger and reconstituted wasabi powder with a small dish of soy sauce for dipping (which also keeps unrefrigerated). Gourmet food without refrigeration for special occasions or when you want to treat yourself. Another condiment found in Asian gourmet stores is furikake, an assortment of dried Japanese seasonings that goes great over hot steamed rice. Katsou fumi furikake is my favorite, but there are several tasty varieties available to make a simple dish of rice, perhaps a pickled umeboshi plum, and a few pickled veggies a satisfying, exotic meal. Add a few drops of soy, tamari, tempura or ponzu sauce (for variety) and enjoy. It also keeps indefinitely.

Here's a list of 31 foods that should be kept unrefrigerated, according to the USDA. http://dailysavings.allyou.com/2014/07/22/non-refrigerated-food/

Chip

Wow, Chip,
Thanks a bunch for such a thought-filled reply with so many things I would not have thought about. My tongue is totally gringo (New Mexicans barely tolerated my living in that state for a few years). So I would have to avoid any of the things you mention that are spicy-hot. But pickled and not spicy? Yum. I'll have to ferret out an Asian grocery somewhere along my routes for sure to try some of your list.

Also, the link for foods that shouldn't or needn't be refrigerated is great. I did know that about eggs that have not been refrigerated, though I have never been one to cook a lot of eggs for myself (maybe I should start?). Many preppers coat eggs (even those from store refrigerators) with mineral oil (I believe) to make then last for months in a pantry.

Thanks!

sushidog said:

Chip

Yep, I keep many of these out of the fridge at home.  Ketchup, Honey, Syrup, Peanut Butter most especially.
I do not even keep softdrinks in the fridge anymore.   My big household fridge failed a couple years ago, and I replaced it with a 3.7CuIn Minifridge.  It's all I need.

they coat the eggs with sodium silicate(liquid glass). this is another old time way to preserve without refrigeration. sodium silicate used to be commonly available at any drug store but might be hard to find now. I find if you get farm fresh eggs they last at least three weeks without refrigeration so I really find no need to use this. when I make scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos I mix 1/2 fresh eggs with 1/2 powdered eggs. can't tell the difference. as a side note sodium silicate makes a great radiator stop leak it will even seal a blown head gasket, however never use it if you have antifreeze in the system must be water only. highdesertranger