Nissan NV 2500 HD... drawing me in

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TequilaSunSet

Reaction score
When I first saw this they were butt ugly and I hated them...
Now when I look at them they are still butt ugly but I am beginning to like them  :D

I may look at a used one tomorrow but I trying to apply the brakes... I should not spend the money would leave ms so little. I could gain some back selling my Vanagon, but I am going to take a huge hit on it for all the mechanical stuff I have done for it the last 5,000 miles, and it is still funky. 

It would cost me approx $5,800 to have a hightop installed on my vanagon when all is said and done, and the hightop on this Nissan just gives me all sorts of ideas, especially since I gain so much room/creativity not having the motor in back.

I think I need mental help here... know?  :rolleyes:

From what I have read the nissan nv series is less than desireable.

Three main reasons

1. Smaller interior 'living' space than other competitors like the sprinter, F transit and promaster
2. Not great on gas... these newer vans do much better than the vans of the 90s etc but not the NV
3. The elongated hood will make the NV 2500 harder to park.

Not sure if that helps quell the G.A.S. or not. ☺

Sprinters sized not an option for me, just way too big and way too expensive. 20 mpg is easy in the NV, what I get now so a nice trade.

Since I haven't driven on no clue yet on parking etc... but I may soon find out!! Thx for the quick response!

My neighbor has one and I had the same initial reaction as you did...fugly. But its grown on me. He's happy with it and it works for their business, art framing.

However, for a live-aboard conversion I had to cross it off my list of potentials due to the inefficient design. It has the same footprint as a Sprinter/Promaster/Transit, yet has significantly less cargo space due to the cab design. Instead of using a cab-forward van design like the others, Nissan basically just stuck a box on the back of their pick-up truck...Frontier iirc.

So while I'm fine with weighing different size vehicles into my balancing equation, I couldn't really come to grips with buying something that wastes so much space due to poor design decisions. Which is too bad, as I have mostly all positive experiences with Nissan's in general...

Welp... the 2 responses have set me straight... thx!

Sprinters I love the room, but I hear so much about the diesel expense, repairs etc... I really want a hightop of some sorts.

I have the Nissan 3500 HD high top with the V8. They are 9-10 foot floor space and 60 inches wide. I am fitting mine out with beds, sink and counter space and storage for porta pot and large AGM batteries. I also have a 50 quart fridge/freezer. I have about a 15" wide walkway from front to back. Plenty of room for me and a guest. It is the same size as the Ram 1500 I traded for it so parking and driving are no big deal. I have big feet and can't drive far in a regular van without hating it. This has a pickup cab. It is nice to be able to stand up straight. I'm over 6 foot. and the high top makes for a lot of extra storage. 
It is FUGLY but so are a lot of bigger vehicles. The looks are not what drew me to it though. The gas mileage sucks on mine but I accepted that for the ability to tow in the mountains and go off road with in reason, 2 wheel drive. The price wasn't bad and I would have went with a Chevy but the addition of a high top made it too expensive. 

Bottom line, it is a matter of taste and budget. The v-6 2500 gets about 2-3 more miles to the gallon than mine, that would be about 15-17,  but the suspension is a little soft for my taste and you will feel it sway in the turns. I hope this helps.

I am the odd duck who actually likes the NV's styling.  Far nicer to the eye than the various butt-ugly "Eurovans" being foisted onto us.  The fact of being built on the Nissan Titan truck frame is a very good thing.  Stronger body-on-frame construction, easier to access the motor than in a short-nosed van.  The only thing I would like to see Nissan do is bring out an optional long-wheelbase/body version.  And a diesel option would be nice too, tough not for everyone.  America is really behind the rest of the world in accepting diesel power.

Great White said:
I have the Nissan 3500 HD high top with the V8. They are 9-10 foot floor space and 60 inches wide. I am fitting mine out with beds, sink and counter space and storage for porta pot and large AGM batteries. I also have a 50 quart fridge/freezer. I have about a 15" wide walkway from front to back. Plenty of room for me and a guest. It is the same size as the Ram 1500 I traded for it so parking and driving are no big deal. I have big feet and can't drive far in a regular van without hating it. This has a pickup cab. It is nice to be able to stand up straight. I'm over 6 foot. and the high top makes for a lot of extra storage. 
It is FUGLY but so are a lot of bigger vehicles. The looks are not what drew me to it though. The gas mileage sucks on mine but I accepted that for the ability to tow in the mountains and go off road with in reason, 2 wheel drive. The price wasn't bad and I would have went with a Chevy but the addition of a high top made it too expensive. 

Bottom line, it is a matter of taste and budget. The v-6 2500 gets about 2-3 more miles to the gallon than mine, that would be about 15-17,  but the suspension is a little soft for my taste and you will feel it sway in the turns. I hope this helps.
==========================================
I pulled up along side one today, looks much wider than my vanagon but the measurements are about the same, so must be an optical thing. I like the idea of a true high top vs. an add on version, just looks more natural. I have an ARB in my vanagon now... maybe post some pics of your interior? (pretty please) :)

If I was going to buy one of the new high-top vans, the NV might be at the top of my list. If I understand correctly, it's the most truck-like and it seems like it would be the most off-road capable.

I wish I could. I have torn it down and replaced the flooring with a bedrug and starting wiring for solar set up. I''m trying to get mt house finished for selling to get under way , so van time is in short supply. The Nissan NV forum is a good reference. Look under conversions and you can get pics of some of the builds and links to other NV's. Mine is more utilitarian and not RV style. I am Beefing up the insulation and like I said wiring. I am using bunks for beds. I had to reconfigure to get the floor space. Sorry I don't have the pics but compared to a VW it will be a lot of room.

I've heard they get like 10-12 mpgs...

The NV is based on the Titan pickup.  The Titan was problematical, rear end failures were common. Nissan went into denial mode on the rear end issues and the other problems areas that the Titan suffered from. 

Possibly Nissan has fixed the technical issues.  Over time that can happen.  I simply don't trust their corporate integrity when it comes to owning their mistakes...

29chico said:
The NV is based on the Titan pickup.  The Titan was problematical, rear end failures were common. Nissan went into denial mode on the rear end issues and the other problems areas that the Titan suffered from. 

Possibly Nissan has fixed the technical issues.  Over time that can happen.  I simply don't trust their corporate integrity when it comes to owning their mistakes...

This would apply to ALL car mfg's... especially when you think of their Service Centers.

My bestest huntin' buddy owned a Nissan Titan for a few years.  Towed a large utility trailer with it.  Worked fine for him.  He got a bigger trailer and figured the Nissan auto tranny would be overstressed.  He bought a Ford F-350 Diesel 4X4 to replace it.  But that Nissan never let him down.  He didn't baby his trucks but didn't abuse them either.
If they ever make the NV200 in 4X4, it would be high on my list if I had the money.

Here is a video tour of a Nissan with a really nice conversion.  The vid is from Enigmatic Nomadics channel.

LeeRevel[ pid='177464' dateline='1452782292' said:
  And a diesel option would be nice too, tough not for everyone.  America is really behind the rest of the world in accepting diesel power.

Hold on to that thought for a while. My understanding is that Nissan & Cummins have formed an alliance. I actually saw a Nissan Titan at Shot Show that had a Cummins Diesel V-8. I'm sure there will be more news about this in the future.

Love my 2013 NV2500 V6 high roof. Ya the nose is big, but if ever in a front end collision, I will probably have a better chance of livin'! It certainly does NOT make it harder to park! It feels like a truck, driving and parking. I wanted the nose, so it would be easier to work on mechanically. Back space is great... more than enough for one person, ok for two. I have owned it, bot used, for 17 months now... no problems at all. The DIY build is easy because it has like 38 predrilled holes all over the frame... just buy a bunch of 8mm 1.25 thread size bolts! I am glad mine came with rear and passenger side windows, rear defogger, interior panels kit, and the whole tech package... cos, yes, a backup camera is nice! So is GPS and XM radio, which I treat myself to for $25 for 6 months of the year. The gas mileage is.... eehhh... 10 to 17mpg, for me, but I do live in small town with very few chances to jump on the freeway for extended times to get more feedback on the high average. Right now, I take it for weekend trips within a day's drive, about 4 times a year. But... it IS my daily driver otherwise. I do miss drive-thru's, lol, cos of height.... and parking in parking garages, sometimes. Small price for always having my lil' home on wheels with me! No regrets.

Six grand seems to be a bit high for having a high top installed. I would shop some more. Maybe get one from a wrecker. They are not hard to put on, I imagine any body shop could do it if you are not good with a can opener. What I would do is put one on, but only cut out the middle of the roof. This would let me stand up to cook or get dressed and give me lots of shelf space.

I am constantly looking for different things to "make me happy". They seldom do, but often cost me a ton of money.