Newcomer/couple

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRockSpeaker

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am not one to usually post on this or any other type of bulletin board, but since following Bob Wells' pages I feel a deep connection to him and to many of you.

I have been following Bob's website and YouTube channel for about a year, and have developed a yearning to leave the traditional lifestyle behind for the nomadic lifestyle.  What is holding me back at this point is a) my wife and b) my children.  My wife and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this month, and I cannot imagine living life with anyone else; she has been my best friend for well over those 25 years.  She tells me that she will follow me anywhere, but as we discuss the prospects of retirement, selling the house and buying an RV for full-time life, I feel a little bit of resistance, or at least hesitancy.  I truly do not believe that her idea of full-time RVing and mine are the same.  I also have two (alomst-grown) children; one has just graduated from college, one has just begun college.  I know I want to wait until their lives are (somewhat) settled before leaving the stick-and-brick house behind.  

As a compromise to these issues, my wife and I have decided to buy a small camper to begin exploring life on the road.  Due to size limitations in my yard and my desire for more primitive camping, I am converting a small cargo trailer to an RV.  It is in the purchase/planning stages now, and I will be starting a YouTube channel to document the build - stay tuned for more on that.

I'd like to hear from some other couples out there who may have had a similar road as I.  How you and your spouse compromised, and how the journey has gone.  Thanks so much for any words of encouragement or advice!

Mike

Welcome to the CRVL forums Mike! You have a good plan. Taking trips but keeping the house will give both of you a chance to discover whether this is the right life for you before you make any big decisions. Some couples find that compromising by keeping the house or buying a smaller house to have a homebase and still travel is the best solution.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Welcome to the forums Mike and good luck with getting your wife on board.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]When I converted my trailer, my primary goal was to make my wife as comfortable as possible.  The bed had to be as comfortable as at home, the toilet had to be easy to use and the TV and DVD player had to work like at home.  The day to day activities of living in the trailer had to feel natural.  The longest trip we've had was seven nights but only because I had to get back to work.  [/font]