Newby in Arkansas about to retire.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratfink56

Reaction score
Finally! Done working the end of April. Twenty one years in my current job in the parts department of a Chevrolet/Nissan dealer. I'm pretty much fed up with the general public. People are so rude these days.
 Been thinking of moving to Mexico for several years. Don't know where exactly so I'll have to roam around a bit. Had planned to drive down in a car but after much research decided I should take something to camp in. Lots of free camping down there. Will I end up living there. My wife hopes not. Me, I don"t know.
 Was gonna buy a small bus but they are way too popular right now. So after scouring the web for several weeks I found a van right here in town.
  It's a 91 Ram 3500 passenger van. And it is big! Probably more usable space than a short bus. 101k miles, 5.9 gas engine. Looks like hell. Battleship gray flaking paint. Roof paint is mostly gone. Lots of surface rust. Guess that's why it sat for a year with no buyers. Runs great! Body is straight under what's left of the paint and the interior is good. Except the headliner. That has a lot of push pins holding it up. I imagine this thing will suck gas like nobody's business. But I'm in no hurry to get anywhere so I will TRY to keep the speed down to 55-60.
 So, that's me, my van and my aspirations. Let the party begin!

ratfink56 said:
Been thinking of moving to Mexico for several years. Don't know where exactly

Mexico has over 2000 Walmarts mostly south central which i think is a good area to live, people are really laid back and non rushed.

Be really careful in some areas, drive them daylight only and be where your going early, its best in a group, i have gone to the baja 1000 quite a few times and have a few acquaintances who got jacked over the years, mostly theft, a couple robberies where they got the chit scared out of them.

I still go back

Will be checking Baja first. Hope I can afford something there that will keep the wife happy. I'd be happy in the van on a beach. I no longer drive at night period. And in Mexico it can kill ya.

Welcome Ratfink to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I travel often and found that airbnb gets you the best deals and you get to know the locals, this 1st link is $13 a night, the bottom link is a Baja search with a max price of 25 a night, some rentals are for short stays but some you can rent longer and get a better price, it should be no problem finding something for $300 or less per month.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20057653?location=baja mexico&s=Iu7lS5lP

https://www.airbnb.com/s/baja-mexic...earch_by_map=true&price_max=24&s_tag=rvxdhDCz

Welcome ratfink56! I don't know much about Mexico having only been there once, and then only for half a day. I love visiting Arkansas though. One of my sisters lives in Hot Springs. I try to get out there for a visit every couple of years, so I know my way around that part of the state reasonably well.

Welcome ratfink56! Congrats on your impending retirement. Your right people are getting so rude ... until you get out with these fine folks. Debes aprender a hablar español ! (You must learn to speak spanish) Enjoy Mexico