Newbie/Non-Newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squid

Reaction score
Hi:  I would greatly appreciate advice on why I'm languishing around a decision to downsize from a '98 19' Class C w/68K miles, most everything works (my DC/alternator charge system stopped but that could be fixed, my side steps won't extend, my roof leaks around a vent)...to a nearly new Dodge Ram Promaster van high-top (or low top, I'm a petite female so I can actually stand in one). 
My thinking is that I know how to build out a van from prior experience, I want to try some new things like a rooftop gravity-flow abs-pipe/tank system, solar (new to me), and induction range with use of pressure cooker as my "oven".  I'm so small I can sleep sideways, I thought of building a seat/futon in the back so I could seat more passengers, then build a very tight wall system so it barely intruded on interior space.  I wanted to use large abs under-chassis as my holding tanks, make a fold-down toilet etc.  I wanted a van with no side windows (except door) but with a back tinted window, then I could install windows as needed.  I would use paint-on expandable foam constrained by melamine as insulation after all wiring/pipes were done/tested, and build out cabinets with doors that folded down making their own counter space.  Of course would install the spin-around front passenger seat.
However the Class C is already in my possession, mostly works.  It just feels so clunky, high-riding, overly-powerful for just cruising around (E350 with TEN cylinders for only 18.5 feet!), gas-sucker (don't know but it's probably less than 10), not stealthy, silly design (big oven, microwave, huge fridge, walk-in bathroom/shower), mass uncomfortable bench seats at a table, and I'm always fighting leaks. 
It's the beginning of "honey we should buy an RV" season and I could probably sell the Class C for...what...$11-12K???  Then buy a used Promaster for...what...$19K and work on its innards. 
Does the stealth/gas mileage benefit justify the switcheroo?  I'm just inquiring for gut-level responses, if anyone even has any, I would be very thank-ful since I'm stuck.

Welcome Squid to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I'm really good at making "no-response" posts!

I didn't care for the class C I had a few years back but it was woefully underpowered.

If you are skilled enough to do the interior work on a Promaster, why not?

Now is the time to sell, several on the forum have been looking for vehicles. A small class C would be a selling point to many. A V-10 maybe not so much but there are always trade offs.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Rob

I have an F350 v8...its fun to cruise in :D

Always seems like Class Cs have problems..mainly leaks. One reason I haven't bought one.

Id go for it. Sounds like you got good ideas.

Outdoor ft, lots of Class Cs are now made without that dreaded front window which was usually the cause of the leaks. Mine doesn't have that window and is a 2002 and no leaks. I just had the roof cleaned and recaulked and I'm sure it's a first on this rv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your class c already bugs you, and you've got the jones to do a build, go for it.

Latest posts