Newbee coffee question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikepace

Reaction score
As a newbee who will be doing a fair amount of boondocking soon and as a coffee lover who likes electric drip coffee I'm thinking of this strategy: use electric drip with water heated on propane cook top and then use as normal electric when at hook up or if Jenny running. Anyone do this?

Electric drip coffee makers heat the water a little bit at a time.  The heating makes steam bubbles that lift the water and a check valve causes steam pressure impulses to push the water to raise the water from the tank at a slow speed.  This is similar to the pumping in a coffee percolator.  

To use a bulk of water heated on a cook top you will need an elevated tank with a flow control device, maybe just a small orifice.  The tank might need insulation.

Replacing the drip coffee maker heater with a propane powered heater to work the same way requires a thermostat to turn off the gas when the water runs out and it overheats.  

As soon as the first bit of hot water hits the grounds the brewing begins.  If you have to heat all the water first the time to have coffee takes longer.  Overlapping the heating time with the brewing time is the clever part.  

What I have found that works for me is the aero press in the inverted mode.  There is very little clean up and the taste is good.  Heating and brewing do not overlap in time but you only make one cup at a time.  Brewing a second cup overlaps drinking the first.

Just use the pour over coffee method, it gives great results. Heat you water with a propane burner. Like this.

I don't have any experience with this one.
Coleman makes a propane powered drip coffee maker:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-QuikPot-Propane-Coffee-Maker/dp/B004E4IAEQ

And the one I use when I can't run the generator or don't have shore power:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000015167-Camping-Coffeemaker/dp/B001K7IDVU

The negative reviews about the plastic melting are from people improperly using it, It has to be used on a round (not oval) burner that is not too large. It would work on coleman stoves that have a round burner.

I do carry two drip coffee makers though. One 120VAC and the above coleman. Takes up valuable space but I HAVE to have my 12 cups of coffee each morning.

kygreg said:
Just use the pour over coffee method, it gives great results. Heat you water with a propane burner. Like this.

like you, I was big into drip coffee

I'm 100% converted to using an AeroPress. I head water with propane stove then use the AeroPress. small, compact and easy to travel with

Cleanup for me is throwing the paper filter in the trash and the pot rinse water is what I use to rinse my coffee cup and mouth after brushing. Make the water do extra duty.

YMMV

The pour over method works fine with a electric drip coffee maker. They make cone filter holders that fill the same purpose without the rest of the coffee maker. There are many methods for the stove top, my favorite is a Moka pot.

My solar with battery and inverter powers a Mr Coffee.

highdesertranger said:
I just use a stove top percolator.

Work great and I would too if it wasn't such a water waster to clean.  I don't carry near as much water as you!

Well MikePace, as a fellow coffee-holic I can totally relate to the fresh-brewed coffee-while-camping issue. At first, I tried the instant coffee..specifically Folgers. It will work in pinch if all you can do is boil water. I have tried the "Cowboy Coffee" method of boiling water, adding the coffee grounds, letting it sit, then straining the grounds. I still manage to find the stray coffee ground in the bottom of my cup, so I don't use that technique much. I've gotten quite fond of the Folgers Coffee singles. They look like regular tea bags, but have coffee in them instead. I make it one cup at a time. It tastes really good, and you control the strength by allowing the bag to sit in the hot water longer.  I did try one of these Coleman drip-style coffee makers you use on a Coleman stove, but it took way too long to get the coffee brewed the way I like it. There's at least a dozen of so ways of making coffee, so I would check out a few YouTube videos and experiment with what works best for your camp situation.. :)

actually you really don't clean the pot. I use a stainless pot so I just do a quick rinse out on the pot. according to "Cowboy Kent Rollins" you basically treat your coffee pot like a piece of cast iron.

I love Kent's and Shannon's you tube channel lots of great cooking tips and recipes, if you like cowboy cooking. highdesertranger

Cowboy coffee then HDR?  The strainer basket is what is always hard for me to clean.

I generally just rinse my glass pot too.  When it gets too grody I will scrub it may it may be months in between :D

actually I use the strainer to as I use the percolator, I just take my strainer and turn it upside down and smack it on my cutting board a couple of times. I only give it a total cleaning if I haven't used it in a couple of days after all you are running boiling water/coffee through it. highdesertranger