Newbee coffee question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsfish said:
I use the filter basket from a broken drip coffee maker and set it on top of my thermos and mug. The water is heated by propane, premeasure water to avoid wasting energy. I alternate back and forth from thermos to mug to keep the brew balanced. On a short trip I premeasure the coffee into separate bags just to make it easier. To clean up I just toss the filter with grounds and shake any lingering coffee off the basket.

Guy

The basket from a Bun coffee maker works better than a cone filter like I used for 20 years. It holds more water than most for the steeping, especially the cone and releases it slower. The filters are cheaper and easier to find than the cone in the larger sizes.

If you have the whole coffee pot then open the lid and pour the water over the grounds.

highdesertranger said:
actually I use the strainer to as I use the percolator,  I just take my strainer and turn it upside down and smack it on my cutting board a couple of times.  I only give it a total cleaning if I haven't used it in a couple of days after all you are running boiling water/coffee through it.

So how do you keep the grounds out of the pot?  I used to put a wet flat paper filter in the basket to glue it down and then the coffee grounds.  I always ended up chewing some of my morning coffee.  That is why I went the drip route.  Maybe my coffee is ground too fine?  I found I really like the Kirkland brand coffee from Costco in the blue bag.  It packs easily and lasts me more than a month too.  I generally always have a least one spare unopened bag to tide me over until I can get to a Costco.

I like your cleanup.  Never thought to dump it and wait for it to dry out and pound it out.  That would make cleanup so much easier and way less water, if any.

Ah, finally remember that you have to watch the pot and turn down the flame when it starts percolating.  I am normally outside when the coffee is making, even when it is below freezing.

Another method to consider, similar to the singles already mentioned is to use the open tea bags designed for loose leaf tea. Just add boiling water. If you like strong coffee you just leave it in to "steep" longer. Cleanup by composting the bag and rinsing the cup.

Ah you poor dears. bless your little hearts. I make 'cowboy coffee' often with a empty soup can and a pine-cone fire. A little grounds in the cup makes it all better if you are a coffee lover.

I think I came out best from all of you. I hate coffee with a passion :) I never have to decide how to handle coffeemakers and never buy it LOL
good ideas on this thread tho! I love reading how passionate people are over their coffee! Blows my mind it is so important to so many...haha.

There was another thread recently on how people brew coffee.
- https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=31296

I use both the drip method with a ceramic funnel and 3 filters to slow down the flow-through, but prefer using a coffee press. Best thing I've bought in years. Heat the water over the Coleman propane stove. With the press, you can brew the coffee for 4-minutes or 10-minutes, as you like. And there are always some grounds in the bottom of the cup to give it texture.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bodum-KENYA-French-Press-Coffee-Maker-34-oz-1-L-8-Cup-Chrome/186916462

I use a insulated travel mug with a built in french press. Just put the grounds in, heat water, put the lid on and press. So simple :D

I have just recently acquired a Bialetti mocha express. Will be experimenting with it when not traveling to get that perfect brew. I have to stock up on my favorite coffee before I hit the road, otherwise I would have to order it on line. Great coffee is one of the few luxuries I afford myself.

I only get a miniscule amount of grounds with my percolator. the grounds sit at the bottom so just as long as you don't try to get the last 1/4 cup out you don't get many grounds. highdesertranger

It is supposed to be like Maxwell House - Good to the last drop :p

I drink it all, can't bear to throw any away.

HDR, I don't think you need to defend yourself. Your explanation was sufficient to show any grounds that were in the coffee were left in the pot.

I believe you anyway for what that's worth.

Holy moley, HDR, such a waste of good brew. If you're really that finicky, you can pour out the last drops through one of the white paper filters. And here we thought you'd drink it even if there were a fly or two in the cup. Just stick your finger in, and shoo it away.

i do that with my wine, beer, and whiskey.

I just bought an Aeropress on amazon and I really like it. Easy to use and not too much cleanup. Can make it as strong as you want. Great with a good dark roast!

Mikepace said:
As a newbee who will be doing a fair amount of boondocking soon and as a coffee lover who likes electric drip coffee I'm thinking of this strategy: use electric drip with water heated on propane cook top and then use as normal electric when at hook up or if Jenny running. Anyone do this?

A coffer maker is, essentially, a water tube boiler. I use one every morning with my RV's batteries through an inverter. I have also when low on the voltage simply heated up water to boil on my gas stove, and slowly poured in through the coffee and filter and let it drip into the carafe like it normally would. Works either way.

Latest posts