New to staying in one place for over a week

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessesnowshoe

Reaction score
Wondering where you put used poo bags daily during your two weeks stay before moving on to the next place. Do you use a bear resistant barrel or something else?

Dogs have a sense of smell 40,000 to 100,000 times better than humans. Bears have a sense of smell five times better than a dog. They can smell a food source (or a sow in heat) 30 miles away.

I recently found that a rat had almost chewed its way through a 5-gallon plastic bucket to my ducks' kibbled grain.

If a rat can find odorless (to us) grain, a bear won't have any trouble finding stinky human poop in a plastic bucket, gamma lid or not.

If you can find a good metal container with a tight lid, use it. If it has a handle, hang it from a tree branch with a rope, out of range.

I don't like being surprised by bears. Once was enough.

Jessesnowshoe said:
Wondering where you put used poo bags daily during your two weeks stay before moving on to the next place. Do you use a bear resistant barrel or something else?

BelgianPup said:
 . . . a bear won't have any trouble finding stinky human poop in a plastic bucket, gamma lid or not.
If you can find a good metal container with a tight lid, use it.  If it has a handle, hang it from a tree branch with a rope, out of range . . .

I've lived in bear country for most of my life.  Never had a problem with bears attracted to poop.  A plastic bucket with a gamma seal lid is sufficient to keep poop smell from attracting any varmints.

If you are camped in an area with bears conditioned to human food you need to be careful with food.  A metal container that is not bear proof will not stop a determined bear.  And bears have learned to harvest hanging food caches.

I don’t think the bears want your poop.

What I been doing (still rather new) is just using a standard 5 gallon bucket with standard lid that snaps on. Cat litter to absorbe the dampness of the....contents... then tie up the bag as tigh with as little air as possible. I found I can usually "double bag it" with using just the one bag (tie it in a know with the 13 gallon bag and then use the leftovers to act as a 2nd bag and tie it off again) then I put it inside a ziplock bag and I have not had any issues with smell even on hot days. I did buy some of the crystals fragrences to block out the cat litter smells and I have a nice bit of that in the plastic linner bag in my 5 gallon bag.

I picked up this method from the HOWA director. I paided special attention to her view points on the matter as I figured a lady would have a.... fresher perspective. Pun intended! haha!

I have been putting my TP in with the bag as well. Any moist wipes do NOT go in there they go into the trash. After all that wrapping and such I use hand santaiser an I'm ready to start my day!

My bucket rides dirty sitting in the passager seat during my in place periods but doesnt smell dirty. I havn't gone a full 2 weeks yet, but so far about 10 days and I've had some hot days I thought I'd be smelling it by then with temps in the 80's I do keep a beach towel on top of the bucket as it makes it look prettier. Then I put my two bath towels on top of that (my drying towel and my sitting on sponge bath towel) None of them smell at all. If anything starts smelling I'm sure I can change it.

I used to have a gama lid when I lived in sticks and bricks and I used to sit on it when it was closed. Being a bigger guy I ended up breaking it. Not sure I see the value of them but I forget her name but the HOWA directory method really is superior with not having any smell.

I mentioned I'm a bigger guy so... I was a bit shocked no smell... I'll just leave it at that.