New RV/Van Scrutiny for urban dockers (nashville rv explosion)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cynanne

Reaction score
Since they have just reopened part of downtown Cincinnati due to a parked RV investigation- I thought of this question. Will the site of an RV parked anywhere near a business district be looked at with suspicion for the near future? Will there be more knocks than usual? Urban boondockers often have jobs or responsibilities near cities and can't go to BLM areas or maybe don't want to. I think it will become more important just to be stealth now. With all the Covid problems and newly homeless there will probably be an all time high number of vandwellers in 2021. Will these newbies ruin it for everyone else? Will they understand what a "footprint" really is and learn to respect it? Does anyone think new laws will be enacted on BLM dwelling? I can only assume that cities and suburbs (especially on the west coast) will start getting really strict really soon.

Probably only if you have a loud speaker blaring that the RV will explode in 15 minutes as this one did I understand. Lol!!! You might remember that white vans have been used for all sorts of domestic terrorism in years past. It really hasn’t affected much. Stealth if it were possible isn’t really practical for most urban dwellers with jobs. Park at your work place with permission (it has worked for me with a 28’ motor home) or work out something with locals/police or anyone that might be concerned. Being open with people is better than trying to hide as that makes you suspicious and that causes problems in my opinion.

Do you think really stealth white vans (nv200 for example) are more sus in general? Is it best to make it look like a work truck if you are trying to be stealth? Any color other than white tends to be more expensive- even if you buy it used. Is it worth spending the extra money to buy a gray or other color van?

There is no such thing as being stealth to anyone that really matters. Police and people that know what to look for like condensation, window coverings, vents, rain deflectors or roof racks will easily find you no matter what color or signage. The best way to get a few hours sleep is to legally park late at night, go straight to sleep and set an alarm for early so you can leave immediately. Eat, shower or whatever in a parking spot you can legally visit during daylight hours like a park or public area. The park I visited closed at 10 PM. I would go eat at a dinner that closed at midnight and as I was a YMCA member and occasionally parked there after midnight so I could shower the next morning, if anybody asked I just got there early waiting for them to open at 6AM, then I would leave go to the park and take a long nap during the day at a shopping center. Never stayed in the same place more than a few times a month. Most urban areas have plenty of places you can park over night. I like to fish so at boat ramps I was a common site. Fish a few hours and sleep a few hours. Cook up my fish the next day in the picnic area at the local park and take a nap. Made lots of friends fishing. They often offered or suggested places to stay.

In a white cargo van you could definitely be fairly stealthy. With a ladder rack you could somewhat hide a roof vent and solar panels, and by somewhat hide, the ladder rack would draw first glance so without further scrutiny it would just be passed off as work van.
Especially maybe putting a couple sticks of PVC pipe to better sell it.

But like bullfrog said, moving around is going to be the key to stealth.

Like bullfrog said you are not hiding from anyone. anyone who wants to know, knows. you are only fooling yourself or people who don't care. IMO it's the trying to hide that brings more suspicion. highdesertranger

I have a large yellow sticker on my windshield and people still think I am the repairman working late hours.  Not too suspicious looking I guess.

The vehicle in question this time was a large class B not a van.
-crofter

^^^Ever have someone bang on your door wanting something fixed?