New guy. Thank you for this place.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickD

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Mick and I have been reading all the wonderful info at this forum and decided to get involved. The 1st question I have is something I haven't seen discussed anywhere. I hope some of you seasoned members can answer or direct me to an answer. My wife and I like to drive and tow a small motorcycle with us. When we get to a place we take the bike and ride all over the area enjoying all that there is. Sometimes we even spend the night before returning to out van. The question is where do you safely park unattended for over 24hrs?<div><br></div><div>Thanks for any help</div><div><br></div><div>Mick</div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Hey Mick, Welcome!! That is a really good question. First, I assume you mean where do you park the van while you are camping in the motorcycle, is that right? It is a question I have had&nbsp;as well, and don't have a good answer for. I have&nbsp;some possible answers:</p><ol><li><div style="margin: 0px;">Travel with a friend who can watch the van while you are gone. I'm doing that now, but most of the time I am alone so it isn't a very good answer.</div></li><li><div style="margin: 0px;">Put the van in a storage yard. I've seen them for as little as $15-$25 a month to park a van in outside storage. I wouldn't mind doing it for a week or two, but 1 day seems like a lot.</div></li><li><div style="margin: 0px;">Park at a trailhead to a trail. It is normal to park and leave your vehicle there and then go away for a day. There have been reports of vandalism at trailheads, but I have never experienced it myself, also, some traiheads have a fee, usually $5.</div></li><li><div style="margin: 0px;">Park in a National Forest like you were dispersed camping. Put out your chairs and few items to make it look like you are there. </div></li></ol><p style="margin: 0px;">I'm looking forward to some better ideas. Bob</p>

Thanks for the response. I had thought about the trailheads but I didn't know about leaving the van over night. You are right that some hike and stay for awhile. I also didn't know what would happen in a Wal-mart parking lot. The security might get upset. I thought that long term parking at an air port would work also but if I'm outside a major city area then that would not be an option. I hope I get some more suggestions.<div><br></div><div>Mick</div>

&nbsp;When we took short bicycle trips&nbsp; (two or three days ) we would find a small town gas station and ask if could park off on the side for a few days. We also asked about parking in the overflow area at state parks after spending a night in the campground. Usually we were given permission to park.<br>