Best adventures and places!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds awesome. Are those the primary ways you find the places that you will visit? How about the little out of the way places? Where do you figure out how to find those places or do you stumble across them? I took a 1600 bike trip years ago and it was an amazing way to travel also. Of course I could never have the strength to do something like that now but I agree, simply flying somewhere you miss a lot! Thanks for this great reflection.

The primary ways......yes.......but not the only way. I am a very detailed person, so this may sound like over kill for some people. Once I got the traveling bug, about 5 years ago, I bought the road map and a national park passport book. I then began plotting my trips. I located every national park in the passport book and circled each one on the map. I then located all the military bases (I am retired military) and circled them. Then I went state by state and looked at the points of interest that I might want to see. I requested tour guides from each state and looked through them for events and places of interest. Then I used mapquest to find a line of travel between all the sites I identified. I watched aerial America and other such shows that I highlighted points of interest. I also watched youtube videos of other travelers and then researched places they talked about. I did this over a 5 year period. :unsure:

Here is an example of my map of northern California

Attachments

• 20221025_183035 (1).jpg
    20221025_183035 (1).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
I spent a day once avoiding Houston (Port Arthur > Bolivar Peninsula > Galveston > Bay City + on). It was so worth it. (Nothing against Houston, just the Houston freeways.) The trip before that I had tried to avoid it, but by the time I got to the exit I had mapped out, I was already in the thick of it. Houston is huge!

I feel the same way about Dallas! I am so stressed out by the time I get out the city.......it takes me hours to cool down.

Even driving around where I live now I avoid the highway. Not that we have back roads. The traffic everywhere is awful. I hardly go anywhere. It will be great to drive on long lonely roads again someday.

The primary ways......yes.......but not the only way. I am a very detailed person, so this may sound like over kill for some people. Once I got the traveling bug, about 5 years ago, I bought the road map and a national park passport book. I then began plotting my trips. I located every national park in the passport book and circled each one on the map. I then located all the military bases (I am retired military) and circled them. Then I went state by state and looked at the points of interest that I might want to see. I requested tour guides from each state and looked through them for events and places of interest. Then I used mapquest to find a line of travel between all the sites I identified. I watched aerial America and other such shows that I highlighted points of interest. I also watched youtube videos of other travelers and then researched places they talked about. I did this over a 5 year period. :unsure:

Here is an example of my map of northern California
It seems to me that it doesn't hurt to be methodical and well planned out. One can allow for some unexpected fun things to pop up too, but I am already starting to research and plan my future plans and I have no idea when any of it can come to fruition. I believe in lots of research and mulling stuff over. And reserving the right to change my mind and recreate my dreams each day if it feels right. It will all come together when the time is right.

Not really close to where I live and I can't venture far from my very elderly mother. That's why I am here. I know that there are places in Florida to see. We have some sanctuaries nearby, but when I would visit them, they would usually be very busy. I live on the east coast, very south.

I'm most familiar with Oregon after living here most of my life. Yes the coast is great but also the Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake, Cascade Lakes Highway, Newberry Crater, Fort Rock, Hells Canyon, Steen's Mtn., Alvord Desert, Ochoco Mtns, Painted Hills, Leslie Gulch, Three Finger Gulch, Succor Creek, and more.

The most interesting and out of the way place is the Alvord Desert, a 6 mile by 11 mile playa at the base of 9,700' Steen's Mtn that has a hard surface so you can drive anywhere on it unless it rains. All BLM land, camp anywhere, has a cold spring for drinking water, several hot springs, abandoned orchard, lots of wildlife. We camp there for weeks at a time, flying our ultralights and riding our trail bikes.

Greycurlsvanning, If the high Rockies bothered you the last time, it may affect you worse now. If you haven't heard of it, there is a physical condition called High Altitude Sickness.

My mother was quite susceptible to it, so after that first time going east from Aspen CO on Hwy. 82, I took a more southern route with a lower elevation.

I had never heard of that condition at the time.

Wherever you go, I hope you have a great time!

Yes, when I visited my kids in Denver, even though she told me about it, I wasn't careful enough and suffered the first days. Partly because I continued my workouts without hydrating enough. I guess I would have to be much more cognizant this time around! But I can't rule out the area completely because they are still there and part of the reason I want to travel! Thanks for the information. 🙂

Altitude sickness (mountain sickness) is usually mild and will disappear after a few days at moderate altitudes. You are more susceptible as you age (>40 y.o.).
In 30+ years of mountaineering I only saw 1 case of serious altitude sickness (pulmonary edema) and that was at 14,000 ft.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/15111-altitude-sickness

Altitude sickness (mountain sickness) is usually mild and will disappear after a few days at moderate altitudes. You are more susceptible as you age (>40 y.o.).
In 30+ years of mountaineering I only saw 1 case of serious altitude sickness (pulmonary edema) and that was at 14,000 ft.
Thanks for posting. I have multiple heart conditions, so I didn't think I could go in the mountains at all (above maybe 4,000 feet). But I guess I'll be ok up to 8,000 feet.

That's really what it was, a bad headache and general malaise. It went away pretty fast and I acclimated. From what I understand, athletes move there on purpose to get their lungs used to elevation and the lesser amount of oxygen so when they come down to race, they have a little advantage without doping!!

... I heard about the 'fresh start effect'... at any time point... a chance to begin again... a temporal landmark. We can create these moments ourselves with 3 simple steps.
1. Make a wish
2. Start taking action that align with that vision/wish
3. Find the proof...you can do it

...my fresh start moment will be the death of my elderly mother [edited to add -- or the death of the past...]...
In engineering, this's known as 'Dynamic Design', improvements during use.
In the spiritual-growth/personal-development biz, this's known as 'Dynamic Design'... improvements during use.
In the camping-all-over-the-place doings, I wonder if we could 'coin' a wonderful fresh new phrase to describe the evolution of vehicle and equipment and campers...
... maybe something along the lines of 'Dynamic Design'?
I know, I know, I hear it all the time:
* "Oh, that LM... such a dreamer!"

H.A.P.E. (high altitude pulmonary edema) and HA.C.E (high altitude cerebral edema) are extremely variable.
Acclimated to sea-level, one individual may experience symptoms at 3000'/1000m, while the resident of that same elevation might be good through 10,000'/3,400m.
Irregardless -- severe or merely annoying -- treatment is identical:
* descend.
Often, 300'/100m lower can be enough to clear the issue.
Climbing to the top for a look-see is supposed to be fun.
A debilitating headache with blurred vision and temporary (we hope) deafness while struggling to breathe against a torso loaded with fluids... less fun.
An aside:
Cripes.
I just realized I know too much about too many subjects, and come across as a know-it-all.
Let me hear about any cures for the continuing calamity...