New future home curiosities

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syfyinsanebabies

Reaction score
In the future I would like to move to Arizona and by land. I would like to preserve my doll collection and other heirlooms [[that I'm trying to replace that I've already lost in some way shape or form, tryna find close items to attach the old memoryto newish items etc]] LOL

the point is I would like to do underground storage.
>What complications would I run into doing that?
> And where land-wise is it less likely to flood? High lands away from streams, more woodsy or dense areas; if can find, more arid areas? Etc

I'm sure I have other concerns but my brain is shot right now LOL

thank you all in advance for any positive and helpful feedback

Arizona is the one state that technically doesn't have natural disasters.

I don't think storage underground is any better than storage on getting.

Underground you have to make sure: Moisture doesn't get in.
The structure and components are made to withstand being buried for a long period. Even fence posts need to be treated to have a decent life.
You can ventilate it properly and draw out moisture so your items aren't damaged
The are ways around those issues,

You might be better off getting a shipping container, tossing a few solar panels on it with a battery or two, and have an AC inside for peak heat times. And a fan for when the sun isn't beating down.

These are just my first quick thoughts and aren't complete. But it's something to think about.

Are you thinking of building your own underground storage facility? You might find these links interesting:

The people who built/own Subtropolis also have a climate controlled self-serve storage facility called StorTropolis

Subtropolis website: https://huntmidwest.com/industrial-space-for-lease/

Climate controlled storage at StorTropolis: https://www.stortropolis.com/climate-controlled-storage/

Edit: One more page about climate-controlled storage: https://www.move.org/climate-controlled-storage-units/

Last edited:
Yes it is! Tucson is basically surrounded by mountains. Major washes do run high during the monsoon seasons. Pay attention to dips in the roads and do not enter when flooded signs. Even the washes into Caballo Loco have depth measurement sticks for the washes. Fortunately most are quickly over so delays are short. If buying property look for washes and signs of water run off as well as flood maps. It is not unusual for several feet of bank to disappear after a once in 5 or 10 year rain event in local or even small unimproved washes.

Arizona is the one state that technically doesn't have natural disasters.

I don't think storage underground is any better than storage on getting.

Underground you have to make sure: Moisture doesn't get in.
The structure and components are made to withstand being buried for a long period. Even fence posts need to be treated to have a decent life.
You can ventilate it properly and draw out moisture so your items aren't damaged
The are ways around those issues,

You might be better off getting a shipping container, tossing a few solar panels on it with a battery or two, and have an AC inside for peak heat times. And a fan for when the sun isn't beating down.

These are just my first quick thoughts and aren't complete. But it's something to think about.
I do plan on getting several shipping containers for this lol. Sorry if not mentioned. Abd that sounds like a plan sorta. I was thinking surrounding them with concrete or packed mud or something to help with insulation. And it wouldn't they lol wouldn't be fully buried. Obviously I'd need an entry area that's angled or sloped for getting to them. And did not know that about Az. What about washes etc.
? That doesnt count as natural disasters?

Thwnx

Are you thinking of building your own underground storage facility? You might find these links interesting:

The people who built/own Subtropolis also have a climate controlled self-serve storage facility called StorTropolis

Subtropolis website: https://huntmidwest.com/industrial-space-for-lease/

Climate controlled storage at StorTropolis: https://www.stortropolis.com/climate-controlled-storage/

Edit: One more page about climate-controlled storage: https://www.move.org/climate-controlled-storage-units/
Thank Q my luv always a great fren and help... yes I was thinking burying lol some storage containers but I'll look in2 them too. See my response below to happy Camper I think it was...thanks fam

Yes it is! Tucson is basically surrounded by mountains. Major washes do run high during the monsoon seasons. Pay attention to dips in the roads and do not enter when flooded signs. Even the washes into Caballo Loco have depth measurement sticks for the washes. Fortunately most are quickly over so delays are short. If buying property look for washes and signs of water run off as well as flood maps. It is not unusual for several feet of bank to disappear after a once in 5 or 10 year rain event in local or even small unimproved washes.
Thank you for this information I would not have thought to look fir signs not sure how lol. I'd just ask agent. but I suppose there must b some kinda map tracking system of this right??...right??.... sheesh good advice

I was once looking at land in Arizona but the current issues regarding drought, wild fires, flooding and reduction of water made me change my mind. Especially the reduction of water. A lot of land is being bought up by foreign companies. For example; large areas of land around Brenda and Salome was bought up by companies to grow hay and grain which uses a ton of water to grow. Then it gets exported to other countries that overuse their own resources. Now that the emergency water usage is in place regarding the Colorado River, Lake Powell and Lake Mead, Arizona is one of the states affected by forced water reductions and especially hard hit is smaller towns. All this makes land, water, etc. more expensive. It's only getting worse. Drier climate, more fires and increased flooding.

The droughts cause their own issues. I'm being forced farther west because my breathing is getting worse. We're going to relocate to Yuma for 3-5 years to save up the money then head back up to the PNW. Better air, more water, better gardening.

It's desert. It's expected.

Sorry for the formatting. I copied and pasted.

Although deserts are usually very dry, drought can still occur if rainfall drops below regional averages. Creatures and plants native to the desert have many defenses against the environment, but severe drought will impact the most resilient plants, animals, insects and humans. Every living thing depends on others, and a type of domino effect spans all desert life when drought conditions peak. ~ https://sciencing.com/effects-drought-deserts-8027361.html

And...

Megadrought in Southwest Is Now the Worst in at Least 1,200 Years, Study Confirms