New comer, alone, afraid

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandywine

Reaction score
My husband and myself was going to go and boondooking.  But my dreams got taken from me. He died about 3 years ago. So now I am alone, no family. But I am going to try to get out there, hoping to get some advice and help. I got a 20 foot toyhauler, ( now I think is to big). But it will have to do. I have social security income. It will be hard at first, but I pray I can get support and much needed advice. Looking forward to be free of the rat race.I have all kinds of questions.
 But I know I have to be patient. Thank u,  :huh:

P S, how do I join as a member and pay the monthly fee?

No membership dues required. Just the desire to be here.

Tell us where you are. Could be someone is nearby.

Very sorry for your loss, I know how hard this can be. It helps to keep two things in mind -

1) Your dear one would not want you to stop living your life.
2) Back is not where you're going.

Keep posting, you are welcome here, and you'll find your tribe.

No fees free as long as you abide by the rule of helping others in a positive way. A 20’ toy hauler is just perfect for boondocking as you will have room for solar and extra water, maybe even something economical to get around with. What will you be towing the toyhauler with? What part of the country do you wish to go to? There is lots of help to be found here, feel free to ask, and welcome.

Welcome Brandywine to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

If you think it is ttoo big then figure out what you think is just right for you. No reason to be stuck with what forvyou feels like a bad fit. When you are on your own you can make decisions that best suit you. You might not get perfection but you can find something more too your liking.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum  :)

You've found a good spot to start a new life within.  There are plenty of answers and good folks
to help you find your way here. 

What I would tell you about your Toy Hauler is that if you can drive and successfully park it (and out in the boondocks there is plenty of room to practice)  then you can learn to live in it and with it. 

The option you have is to build a partition wall at one end of the living space you need to be comfortable.   The rest of that space can be for utility like a garage.  This is the space you would really need to heat or air condition.  In time you may need to expand your space by moving that partition.
At least this is the way I would approach the situation if it were mine.

Below are two links which are designed to make life on the road more safe, comfortable, and convenient.  There is some information regarding Trailer conversion in the first one, and in the second it is a Portal of useful information.  Having information at hand can help you overcome your fears and begin to feel stable again.  In time you may feel like you are back on your feet again and in charge of your own life.

All the best :)

Sorry for your loss and how your future dreams were changed on you!

but you can have your own dreams of being out and about!

20 ft isn't a bad size at all, we got a 34 ft toyhauler and I know if anything happens to hubby I will be going down to about a 14-20ft rv for sure, for my piece of mind in towing and fitting into spots and making life just easier and being just me then, I don't need alot of space LOL

but if too big for you, then go smaller. trade it in for a 12-14 ft model if ya need.

just focus on enjoying your life now as you want. That is all any of us can do after spouses and companions and travel buddies in our lives pass. You got this!!! Just sit down and think what DO I WANT to do and go from there!!

Welcome!!

I am partial but think you couldn't have found a better place to look for getting started!

Attachments

• you-can-do-it-meme-72.jpg
    you-can-do-it-meme-72.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you here with us.

Welcome to our great community.

Ask you questions, there are many people willing and able to help you.

Hi, Brandywine,

I am new, too. I am not living permanently in my vehicle yet but am starting to experiment with the lifestyle. I thought that I would be doing this with my husband, too, but he had other plans. I understand grief and anxiety, and I do hope and pray that you find all of the support you need. This group seems to be very friendly and helpful. I recently asked about online groups that meet because I'm starting to feel isolated, so maybe this forum will guide you to some places and ways to connect with others as well.

Welcome. Keep reaching out. I will be praying for you.

Best,
Clair de Lune

I know for me I’m heading out from Minnesota this Sunday. Arizona bound! It’s a little unnerving with unknowns... but this site has helped quite a bit with that. I’d do whatever you need to get out and try out what you have.
Chances are it’ll work out fine. Do you have children? My youngest came back with me from out west to help me get on the road. She’ll be with me through Christmas. Then I’ll be alone.
I hope to enjoy living in a home built truck camper. Holler if you need help towing or anything...
I found while traveling places that are pretty clean but I limit my exposure. It’ll be porta pot and solar showers for me. Most places are good about masks and stuff. Good idea to be well supplied with water and other necessities.
Enjoy... hope to hear your on the road to your dreams and happiness. Sorry for your loss, it’s likely good you have these three years behind you. But it is never easy... I’ll bet your husband is looking down saying... go! I got your back! Find those crazy cheap RV living folks, they’ll take care of you!

Thanks for the reply. How do I find others and where r they located at. I do not understand this new technology!!!

Camper said:
Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you here with us.
[quote="Tony']
Welcome to our great community.

Ask you questions, there are many people willing and able to help you.
[/quote]I was trying to see if someone, would tell me which solar to get. The best one for the money. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

There is no single best one. The best one for you depends on how much power you need to run the electric gadgets you want to carry, where you'll be spending your time, your budget, your vehicle, and your ability to handle the system you get.

Go to the electrical forum and ask your questions there.

https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18

Welcome aboard from one newbie to another. There is no shortage of answers here if you look. Pretty much ANY situation you find yourself in, you will find help and answers here for sure.
About your toyhauler. I find once you get a few hours behind the wheel, it will seem much smaller than you thought. You will get used to it very quickly. And if it still seems too large, downsize. It's that simple.
Don't be scared, be courageous and you will find that your fears were only imagined.