New but with an experienced buddy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.IX:Phoebe

Reaction score
Hello all. My name is Karen and I am a new dweller alongside my wife and experienced dweller Jamie. We reside within Canada and have been living out of our Saturn 2 1/2 door car since late June 2017.

I am some-what new to the life style, however Jamie isn't. She came out as transgender when she was eighteen to family and friends, but unfortunately her family didn't accept or understand what was going on and has lost many friends. Being her closest (and last supporting) friend I accepted her with open arms and my dad and I invited her to move in with us. However, she would only spend a few nights a month inside the house and the rest are spent sleeping in her car. I knew she was a true nomad at heart.

Over the years she would go on insane road trips with her car all over Canada. Her car got written off after a roll over during a snow storm and has been seeking a replacement vehicle that could benefit her for dwelling. Despite my suggestions on an SUV or even an RV (we never worried about spending a few extra pennies on a vehicle) she chose a Saturn coupe.

We ended up dating, got married, camped a lot, just having fun. I started a non-profit photography organization and now require to travel across Canada for photo shoots. Of course, this gave her a huge smile as we both now have a reason to live inside the car on a full-time schedule. With the past few months inside the vehicle (including our first week of -30 celsius) the car is quite very comfy and has plenty of room for the both of us and our five duffel bags and cooler. Although I am learning new things still about the lifestyle I can feel confident that I am with someone who has a lot of experience in doing this.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Karen!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.