New arrival

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NadavBS

Reaction score
Hello all. Just bought a 1971 Ford Econoline e200. 97k miles on it. I've never worked much on cars so this will be my learning curve. Starts right up and sounds smooth. It tends to not idle too well at stop lights though. It'll chug then die if I'm not giving it gas. Also starts to over heat after driving for a while. But then the temp will also drop. Thinking maybe swap the the thermostat. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20240826_235646322.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240826_235646322.MP.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Welcome! Well the first step will be to find a trusted mechanic. Check the area for vocational schools, many used to have night programs or take in vehicles to work on. You will need to have the van totally checked out by an experienced mechanic before investing substantially into restoring it. Restoring it will most likely be necessary as mechanical things deteriorate if they sit and a 1971 van with less than 100,000 miles probably sat a lot or made many very short trips both of which are hard on vehicles. To sum it up find a trusted mechanic and get the van totally checked out. Better to spend a few hundred dollars now than thousands on the road. A compression test followed by a cylinder leakage test if in doubt. Complete electrical check with alternator output and started draw test. Change and check the old fluids with chemical analysis by a lab. Lastly a grease and lube with an alignment to check front end components. Before going check the date of manufacture on the tires and replace if out of date. After all that you should be able to decide if the costs will be worth it for you and how much you really want to learn about mechanics!

Welcome! Well the first step will be to find a trusted mechanic. Check the area for vocational schools, many used to have night programs or take in vehicles to work on. You will need to have the van totally checked out by an experienced mechanic before investing substantially into restoring it. Restoring it will most likely be necessary as mechanical things deteriorate if they sit and a 1971 van with less than 100,000 miles probably sat a lot or made many very short trips both of which are hard on vehicles. To sum it up find a trusted mechanic and get the van totally checked out. Better to spend a few hundred dollars now than thousands on the road. A compression test followed by a cylinder leakage test if in doubt. Complete electrical check with alternator output and started draw test. Change and check the old fluids with chemical analysis by a lab. Lastly a grease and lube with an alignment to check front end components. Before going check the date of manufacture on the tires and replace if out of date. After all that you should be able to decide if the costs will be worth it for you and how much you really want to learn about mechanics!
Very thorough and insightful! Thank you. Ill definitely be taking it to my regular mechanic and see what he thinks.

Best to be water testing it for leaks. The window and door gaskets and the gasket seal between the topper and the body will likely no longer have viable seals as those old vinyl materials shrink and harden with age. There are places online you can buy new gaskets for those vintage louvered windows. Try Vintage Trailer Supply for them. They state the dimensions on the website. If they offer a new silicone seal set buy that as even the new vinyl gaskets start shrinking and creating gaps in the first year. It cost more for silicone but the value is there for that extra cost. The front and rear door gaskets are automotive industry items. Use the 3M gasket adhesive for installing them, that is an excellent quality adhesive and is sold in pretty much every auto supply store.

Welcome to the Van & RV forum !

Consider checking your fuel filter(s) first. Replace if possible and pour a can of "Sea Foam" fuel treatment into the gas tank with a fill up.

Have a qualified mechanic go over the cooling system, checking the hoses, thermostat, and if there is a thermostatic clutch radiator fan check it. Perhaps the cooling system needs to be back flushed.

Check your tires to make sure they aren't dried out to a point that they will fail. Even if the Van was garage kept....tires that have been sitting many years are dangerous to operate.

Then drive it some at lower speeds for the first hour of operation, then move up the speed 10 to 15 mph for another hour and then see if you can operate at highway speed with a friend following you in the event you break down.

Old vehicles can be restored but it takes time and care.

Hello all. Just bought a 1971 Ford Econoline e200. 97k miles on it. I've never worked much on cars so this will be my learning curve....
If I don't know diddly about squat, I think I would advertise (Craigslist, fb marketplace) for some old-time mechanics.
I think I would probably hire them to instruct me on this engine and transmission.
I think I might get them under my van with me on mechanics rolling creepers.
We would examine my frame, wiring, and the plumbing for brakes and fuel.
I might have them show me about changing tires using the jack and tools I always carry.
Everything is doable.
And one thing is certain -- most of the warranty issues are handled.
An aside:
We operate a small organic teaching farm near the outskirts of Eugene Oregon.
About six years ago, a lunatic feral had a (1971?) similar to your rig.
Next to the last driveway -- ours -- on our dead-end road, Eric wanted to replace the tired original V-8 engine.
Accordingly, he:
* rented an engine hoist (aka 'cherry-picker') and dragged it from the rental yard to in front of our place out in the country,
* on foot.
Over the course of about a year, Eric:
* removed the V-8
* acquired a green garden-wagon
* purchased a re-build engine assembly from AutoZone
* dragged the garden-wagon several miles to the parts-house
* somehow loaded the new engine onto it
* then dragged it back to his immobile van
* on foot.
After fussing with swapping components specific to that application, Eric:
* maneuvered the replacement engine into his van
* and returned the cherry-picker back to the rental yard
* on foot.
And through it all, over the course of a year, none of the neighbors complained.
We were all on the edge of our seats, spectating at the spectacle.
As far as I know, Eric is still living in his van, someplace, doing Eric.

If I don't know diddly about squat, I think I would advertise (Craigslist, fb marketplace) for some old-time mechanics.
I think I would probably hire them to instruct me on this engine and transmission.
I think I might get them under my van with me on mechanics rolling creepers.
We would examine my frame, wiring, and the plumbing for brakes and fuel.
I might have them show me about changing tires using the jack and tools I always carry.
Everything is doable.
And one thing is certain -- most of the warranty issues are handled.
An aside:
We operate a small organic teaching farm near the outskirts of Eugene Oregon.
About six years ago, a lunatic feral had a (1971?) similar to your rig.
Next to the last driveway -- ours -- on our dead-end road, Eric wanted to replace the tired original V-8 engine.
Accordingly, he:
* rented an engine hoist (aka 'cherry-picker') and dragged it from the rental yard to in front of our place out in the country,
* on foot.
Over the course of about a year, Eric:
* removed the V-8
* acquired a green garden-wagon
* purchased a re-build engine assembly from AutoZone
* dragged the garden-wagon several miles to the parts-house
* somehow loaded the new engine onto it
* then dragged it back to his immobile van
* on foot.
After fussing with swapping components specific to that application, Eric:
* maneuvered the replacement engine into his van
* and returned the cherry-picker back to the rental yard
* on foot.
And through it all, over the course of a year, none of the neighbors complained.
We were all on the edge of our seats, spectating at the spectacle.
As far as I know, Eric is still living in his van, someplace, doing Eric.
Wow. If Eric can do it I'm sure I can pull it off. Might skip a few if Erics choices including...most of it. Glad it worked out for you and Eric in the end.
Also your farm school sounds interesting. My wife has a small business helping a few people with their gardens. Also she is very focused on permaculture and soil restoration. Fascinating work.
Also thanks for the tips.