PIRATE CAMP '24-25....................Desert SouthWest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark.......WHAT Starlink product did you purchase ?

I got the standard Gen 3 setup (flat rectangle with a kickstand and no motors). It's currently on sale for $299 until October 5th (it ended up being $348.29 total after sales tax etc). It's still going to be $150 a month but my plan is to use it while in Quartzsite (we all know about the cell data issues there during the season) and likely pause it in-between. Pretty much the places I hang out off-season don't have the cell data issues that Q does during the season.

14 day annual limit has been the policy for Bishop BLM dispersed, since at least 2021. Check the information signage by the road to the Volcanic Tablelands.

Not much looser is Inyo NF's annual limit of 28 days with a required move in between the 14 nights.

AZ Trust lands, some might ignore the $15 for the trust land permit, depends on how long one stays. A heavy rainfall can motivate an early move without a need for official intervention. I remember a Greyhound driver announcing "we'll get there, good lord willing and the creek don't rise."

Thanks.........That's what we bought from Best Buy Full Price last Spring...............Reportedly 10/10/24 ROAM service price goes up to $165 a month

In the forests we lay the dish flat on the ground....Looking Straight-UP...........It works !

Saw this on FaceBook...........Hmmmmmm

"Sears wrote Woodcraft, a book about camping, published in 1884, that has remained in print ever since.." I've read this book has a great bug repellent recipe..

"Three ounces pine tar, two ounces castor oil, one ounce pennyroyal oil. Simmer all together over a slow fire, and bottle for use. You will hardly need more than a two-ounce vial full in a season. One ounce has lasted me six weeks in the woods. Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first, and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient."

That might be the end of Nomad-Dating..................

Saw this on FaceBook...........Hmmmmmm

"Sears wrote Woodcraft, a book about camping, published in 1884, that has remained in print ever since.." I've read this book has a great bug repellent recipe..

"Three ounces pine tar, two ounces castor oil, one ounce pennyroyal oil. Simmer all together over a slow fire, and bottle for use. You will hardly need more than a two-ounce vial full in a season. One ounce has lasted me six weeks in the woods. Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first, and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient."

That might be the end of Nomad-Dating..................
You got that one entirely wrong….it is more likely the beginning of a true romance 💘
Just think of all the women nomads who love to make, use and smell those essential oils and that recipe is right in there with all of those ingredients 🤪.

It actually would not be at all bad smelling. Pine is pleasant smellling, castor oil is not stinky and pennyroyal smells like peppermint.

It would help though to bathe a bit more often than every six weeks. But the female bears are not too picky about who they kiss.

Last edited:
Thanks.........That's what we bought from Best Buy Full Price last Spring...............Reportedly 10/10/24 ROAM service price goes up to $165 a month

I was looking over the Starlink plans, they have a LOT of plans now.

The 50GB ROAM plan is $50/month. Supposedly it will allow pausing and un-pausing on a month-by-month basis.

And apparently I can reactivate my old Starlink dish for this plan.

It might be a good resource for when I restart my camping excursions this fall.

Hmm.

The 50GB ROAM plan is $50/month

I thought that service plan was for the MINI ? We need the Unlimited plan ! On the Starlink/RV Facebook forum.....people report ceiling-mounting "dishy" INSIDE their fiberglass RV's and under SKYLIGHTS and getting Service! The new price supports IN-Motion............

We have sprinkles here now ....RAIN predicted..........Tomorrow is moving day......I'm all packed up except for the Honda and Starlink..........We need Gas & Grocery........Dump Service at the Susanville RV park ..........."Overnite" camp is then just an hour away.....it's also "yellowjacket camp"

The NEXT hop moves us thru RENO........(ugh !)......and the I-80 detour to avoid the Davis Fire.......But then.......the Walker River Rec Area awaits.....maybe a 10 day stay ?

Arrrrrrrrrrgh!

SpaceX keeps changing the plans.

They now offer the 50GB ROAM for $50 a month on my older Gen2 hardware as well as the newer hardware. I verified this on my Starlink account page. All I had to do was click 'activate' on my older dish and they would bill me $42 (a prorated amount to my next billing cycle start date).

I was about half tempted to do that, just to get the old dishy mcflatface moving again.

The new plan is for casual and intermittent users. And maybe designed to bring us previous customers back?

Last edited:
Hi gang,

I've been hiding out on the SW Washington coast since June, grappling with a lot of stuff. Fortunately, I am feeling much better about life.

Unfortunately, the bill for neglecting my teeth is coming due! So I've started on the fillings/cleanings routine.

Another thing that's happened is that my daughter has become a grandma, which means that I am now a great-grandma! (Don't ask me how that happened, I prefer to not think about it...) So I have kind of committed myself to traveling to Illinois in the near future. I originally intended to drive out but my sister has quite properly pointed out that getting my poor old van over the Rockies could be a problem. I'd have to devote nearly a month to this travel project, which would definitely interfere with my teeth project.

Which all means that I am unsure when I will be able to make it to Arizona this year.

Currently I am hanging out in an I-5 rest area not too far from Olympia, which is where my dental clinic is. It has occurred to me that if push comes to shove, I could just travel up and down I-5 rotating between all my favorite rest areas while waiting for my next dental appointments! I really don't think it will come to that, but hey, it's always good to have a plan B.

Last edited:
Flying in for a visit can often cost a lot less than driving …..as long as family or friends give you a place to sleep.🛌

My unsolicited advice tip for dental visits…Take plenty of Tylenol before every appointment. That holding your jaw wide open stuff can be painful all on its own from those achy jaw muscles!