Needed: Soul reset.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
West Texas is sitting at $2.64 a gallon (regular). Time to plan the travellin'!

Wow. Sequoia and kings canyon parks are incredible. Stayed in sequoia national forest overnight.3 nights. Middle of nowhere. 6k feet or higher elevation. Never saw another soul when parked overnight. Beautiful weather. Incredible location. Parks mostly uncrowded. Winter storm warning tonight so back on valley floor, but I was so tempted to stay up there and justify having brought tire chains. No bear encounters.

Van drove great. Brakes and tires got a serious workout as I started pushing them to limit. One four wheel hissing drift around a tight corner at 50 mph. Aired them down for some fun offroading. I was obviously the tallest vehicle to pass some trails in quite some time And have scratches roof and sides even after hacking some branches with my machete.
Averaged 13.8 mpg over 216 miles from valley floor up through the parks. And back down.
Lots of 2nd gear hill climbing for miles and miles. The descent today. The road was so smooth. A sports car woulda been awesome and I drove a bit fast again As it was just fun to find and tease the handling limits of my van. Low and slow was for going uphill. Downhill I was mario andretti in a camper van. Only slowing my pace when I noticed the brakes fading. And this took a lot longer than anticipated.

Waiting out much needed first seasonable rainstorm in a Fresno wally world and cracking a frosty beer. Oily wet roads and nimrod drivers will keep me overnight perhaps

Heading nearly due west. Back to the ocean.
Filled up for 2.95$ a gallon.

glad to hear from you stern. I am still in so cal and I am praying for rain. tonight they say. keep safe and keep in touch. highdesertranger

Thx. Was a good journey. Rain just started in fresno. Light so far. I hope it dumps a lot as the land which is not heavily irrigated. Is so parched.

Am regretting leaving mountains. They are saying 2 to 7 inches at 7 k feet. Coulda used those chains.
My impression of fresno? an armpit.

Do bears stink? I stayed at one Actual campground that was free. 5 sites total available. I thought I would not get a site. But it was empty and stayed that way.

While beautiful, I got a weird vibe from the place. Uneasy and I considered leaving but chose to stay. I did not cook but threw some refrieds on some tortillas with cheese. After dark I wanted to try and get some long exposures of the night sky with some mountain backdrop.

Tripod out and experimenting with exposures, I heard something big moving through the brush upwind. The river far away. So quiet all I could really notice was my tinnitus and something big was moving through the trees upwind behind my van.

Then I smelled something kind of like horse manure. But gamey too. Hard to describe.

I got quite spooked and fired a powerful led light into trees, but saw no eyes looking back at me and the noise stopped. I turned out the light. And heard the noise again. Then caught an even stronger whiff of gamey horse manure.

5 second later I was in my van.

Next morning I searched for prints around my van but saw nothing but my own. But I didnt sleep very well

I've still yet to see a bear In the wild. I was worried about them tearing my doors off when I was out on a hike. I did utilize the food lock boxes when available. But none of the places I stayed overnight had them. And I suspect my van retains the smells of the thousands of meals ive cooked within.

Yes, bears smell. Black bears smell faintly like skunks. Also, bears seldom make noise walking in the woods.

IMO, it was probably a herd animal - something like a deer. Males should be smelling kind of musky this time of year (going into the rut). They can make a lot of racket in the woods when feeding (after dark) and are curious when not spooked. Surprised you didn't see eyes, though could have been behind a tree. Deer would freeze when a light is shined their direction, then move away slowly if not alarmed.

I understand not sleeping well. Had a bear come up and sniff my tent one night in BWCA. Could tell it was a bear by the smell (and paw prints next morning), couldn't hear it walking. I was pretty wide eyed and listening all night.

-- Spiff

Nothing could have moved .through those dry leaves without making a sound. I walked around looking for prints where I heard the noise but I could discern nothing. But im no bushman.

I was thankful for my glass and steel shelter. I saw where people pitched their tents. Perhaps with more peeps around it would be tolerable. But alone... I was a bit wigged out and imagined myself a machete and fire extinguisher wielding madman hoping to scare away sasquach's evil twin skippy.

Could not even get an am radio station to come in as I inventoried my weapons. I had everything set up for a quick departure.

Just liked right now. In a wally world parking lot with a security truck driving back and forth. Probably prefer the bear and sasquach to some of the peeps ive seen since my descent back into society.

Been hanging out north of santa cruz at night. Parked along highway 1 perfectly legal. Great view s great waves nearby.

There was an incident I witnessed. dont want to elaborate on a public forum. But I made report. Talked to a CSI detective and was told my info was very relevant but details of the crime were not shared with me. The detective told me I was fine parking overnight where I was. Gave me his card. Said to use his name if I had any issues.

Hopefully my info helped to lock up a true scumbag. My only regret was not driving somewhere. Or just walking to cliffs edge. Where I later found idid have cell phone reception and call 911.
I had thought it was a set up at first. Lure the good samaratin out and club him in the back of the head. I was not sure it was not until I told the law what I saw and heard.

I was likely never in any danger.

My temperature gauge is reading a smidge higher than I am used to seeing. My ir gun reads n the top tank, aimed at a piece of black gaffers tape indicate 192.5f or less at its hottest. My clamp on meter has a temp probe which corroborated these readings. Issue is that I have no 'before' data that I remember. To compare to see if it indeed is running hotter.

When I taped the temp probe to the intake manifold at base of thermostat housing. I could not get accurate readings. I guess I got to sacrifice the last of my thermal grease as it appears the airflow from slipstream and fan is screwing with readings.

My tach and mechanical oil pressure gauge indicate my oil is not getting noticably hotter.

Either my gauge is drifting u pward. Or it is running warmer. Likely due to a thermostT not opening fully. I think ill but a new superstant and 2 gallons of 50 / 50 antifreeze just in case. Ive extra gaskets with me.

Anyway im parked a bit further south surrounded by other rvs and actually have LTE coverage.

Weather is insanely beautiful. Light winds all day. Warm enough daytime for shorts and cool enough at night for all my blankets. Meeting some other travellers. Some are still stand offish. Got to be back in san diego by 15th as old friends are flying in.

Until then ill absorb some surfer van dweller heaven. And time my trip southbound around swell events or other whims as they arise.

If anyone has a IR temp gun, and A dodge or can take a reading on the inlet tank of their radiator of another make, at full running temperature I' d love the data. If aluminum, one needs to put some tape on the tank as mine will read 45f cooler when aimed at bare aluminum. Black painted copper brass or plastic tanked radiator s likely do not need the tape medium to get accurate readings.

The incident was disturbing. We live among scum. And I hope the.perps are in jail. And the victim can recover mentally and physically.

Just tested temps again. The temp probe had pulled out which is why it read innaccurate yesterday

Latest test indicated t stat finally opened at 197.5f. Then block cooled to 185 at idle. Temp probe o intake manifold at base of thermostat housing with grease
Im also losing coolant. But could be junk radiator which stopped leaking previously after 1 bars leak tab. Recommended dosage was 6 tabs. Other leaks had stopped too around timing chain cover.

I see no drips or indications there of. Hope it is not a head gasket. But previous leaks are likely culprits

The motorad t stat has a little jiggle valve to purge air. Temp had risen from 55 to70 slowly until t stat opened them jumped upto 192.5f.

I used last of 50 50 antifreeze and might gave overfilled overflow tank. But there are indications right now that it overflowed. It is difficult to discern level..

Going to be annoyed if I blew a head gasket.

Am not seeing white smoke from exhaust. It smells normal

I definitely overfilled overflow tank. No bubbles with radiator cap off and at full temp.

No bubbles from overflow tank or its tube with cap on. Might go buy one of those hydrocarbon in coolant testers to double check.

Made run into town. 55mph for 15 minutes. All was back to normal on the he oem gauge and 160f was the reading at speed. Oil still pretty. Coolant still green. Rose to 180 when stopped at light after highway run then dropped to 170.

Guess the jiggle valve was not purging the air. Or 2 more bars leak tabs.same as gm tabs. Worked some magic.

stern I have a coolant system pressure tester. I am in north oc. I you want stop by on your way to san diego, we can check it out. pm me if you want. stay safe. highdesertranger

Well I made it back to SD. I was wanting to stay away longer but some longtime friends were flying into town for another friend's birthday so the end date was set for me.

I had some Engine computer issues that required immobilizing one of the 2 connectors with sponges and zip ties or else the engine would stall, fail to start or just fire only one of the 2 injectors, or not activate the field for the alternator.

It is the pins soldered onto the ECM's circuit board. these connections are compromised and need the perfect pressure to make contact and heat and moisture affect both. There are issues actually obtaining the correct rebuilt ECM as the incorrect model will not activate overdrive or lock up, and many/most websites have them listed backwards. I went through this 9 years ago and the issue was only resolved once I opened the original computer and saw a part number inside correlated with the online listing for a manual transmission. I ordered the 'manual' transmission model and then had overdrive and lock up. I pointed this out to rock Auto and cardone, and got a thank you, but

I never got my money back for their mistake, shipping the wrong ECM back and forth across the country, but I did not make much of a stink about it as I was so relieved to have a properly running engine and have overdrive and lock up. It took a while to diagnose the original ECM as the issue as it failed slowly. it was caused by transmission wiring that had chafed in the slipstream and grounded out on the bell housing.

The replacement functioning computer started flashing a code 53( internal computer fault detected) at day 366 but the engine still operated properly.

I suffered a couple stalls returning south, but luckily was able to pull off the road safely, wiggle the connector until I heard the idle speed actuator motor activate, some relays click, then slam the hood, start the engine and drive away.

The engine ran normal temperatures on the ride south, and long highway drives atr 65mph got me over 16mpg. I also need to rebuild the ECM connector as it was part of the issue in compromising the connections on the circuit board. This appears to be a junk yard part only. Kind of going to be a PITA so replace molex barrell connectors and splice 14 separate wires but if I don't, then this issue will return.

Either way, I am not going travelling again without a back up ECM ready to install. If this ECM failed me completely I was going to try and reflow the solder myself to get me home in time, but I do not have that much confidence in my circuit board soldering skills yet, and was not going to try unless I had to, or had a back up ECM ready to go.

However I drove 500+ miles knowing the engine could stall anytime, and that power brake assist only lasts for about 15 seconds max after a stall, and power steering is non existent, so pulling off safely was always a concern, and often the stall occurred under deceleration going straight, and was not immediately obvious as otherwise the engine is so quiet and smooth.

Otherwise the vehicular stress, the trip was much needed and was great. I really got a lot of excellent surf, the sierras were peaceful and beautiful. Met a few good people, reestablished some friendships, Learned not to fear sitting on a bucket for number 2 if required, and did not spend much more money than I would have had I not gone anywhere.

Ive got a lot of good pictures, and good memories, and lost some weight, but now I got to make some money, and sort out the vehicular issues, so I can do it again more often in the future when I need to get away.

I'm looking at about 150 to 250 dollars for a reman'd unit, but it does not need to be reprogrammed, it just needs to be the model for the automatic overdrive transmission, and so many of them out there have the wrong descriptions on the wrong part numbers and will leave me without overdrive. 9887 vs 9889 and so many places say the last 2 numbers mean nothing when experience tells me it is the difference between having overdrive or not.

I want to send mine out to be rebuilt and returned to me, both of them.

The connector is going to be another issue I might be able to hold off on for a bit but would prefer not to. I'd love a new plastic housing for the connectors so I can properly attach new molex barrell connectors to new wire, on a workbench, at my leisure then splice that in, underhood, rather than try and do both rebuild and re splice underhood. There is not that much room to work and it is at an awkward height and not much slack in the wiring. Wish I could buy a new pigtailed connector but it is not to be and this particular connector was only used for 2 years on dodge vans and some w150 pick up trucks, so finding one could be a mission, and finding one in good enough condition that it too does not need to be rebuilt is another.

Also the whole design is foolish as there is no waterproofing and the engine computer bakes right above the engine and rainwater can run under the hood, down the wires and right into the connector.

I'll make it more water resistant, but relocating the unit somewhere cooler is too much work, as the other connector has 60 wires. and I I am not resplicing 74 wires.

A neck burner for sure even with 14 wires.

I have never figured out why some manufacturers put the emc in the engine compartment. no common sense or to save a couple of feet of wire. highdesertranger

My ECM has a short 1.5 inch diameter snorkel which feeds into the CAI for the engine's intake. I've often thought of putting a small computer fan on a thermally controlled snap switch, so that after engine shutdown, heat soak does not bake the ECM to death, but perhaps the faster temperature swings with forced air cooling would be equally or more detrimental.

I was surprised to find an Reman'd Cardone ECM with the correct part numbers on Amazon for an OK price and just clicked place order, so it now appears like I will have 2 extra ECM cores, at least One of which I will send of to be rebuilt so as to have a back up. I've not suffered a stall since Culver City, but I still fear the occurrence driving round these parts, as it will likely be in a steep intersection at some point.

I have a bunch of molex socket connectors bookmarked too, but need to take some measurements as to diameter so I can properly rewire the problem connector which led to all the issues and which I was a fool for not attending to earlier when the issue was first noted. I'm not risking removing the connector and all my improvised immobility devices at this point for measuring, so I will try and find my original ECM core and see if i can get the calipers in there to measure the pins.

I should really hit up a junkyard and explore, as I could use a new intermittent wipe control relay too, in addition to a new 14 way connector to rebuild and rewire at my leisure for splicing in.

My windshield wiper linkage bushings also recently disintegrated to the consistency of tortilla chips. I am attending to some rusting on the cowl and repainting the wiper arms and linkage while I wait for the new bushings to arrive.
I did the math on my trip. 1750 miles total and I averaged 13.6MPG, which is not too bad considering the excessve slow driving climbing to 7500 feet elevation and city driving, and that horrible economy I got when there was a bubble in my intake manifold causing those high gauge readings.

Latest posts