need to raise TC 3" to clear cab roof,,ideas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastaman

Reaction score
Well I finally loaded the TC in my truck. For the overhang to clear the cab sufficiently I will need to raise the camper a minimum of 3" on the bed.
My thoughts of doing this is as follows...

The bottom of the camper has exposed framing of 2"x4" and 2x2's ..I am thinking of screwing 2x4's to this frame pattern.

To gain the additional 1&1/2" I am thinking of framing a platform in the bed and covering it with a sheet of 3/4" plywood, on top of that I will place a thin rubber bed mat.

Am I missing anything here or is this a good plan???

Sounds ok. But, if your TC floor is solid do you think you need the extra weight of 3/4 ply?? I'd think 4 2x4s laid flat, spaced neatly the length would be enough support, (along with the framing trick) less weight, and less of a moisture trap. I think I'd go without the rubber mat, as I see it as a place to hide moisture under there. I'd also want to make sure I had clear drain holes in the front end of the truck bed for rain water to escape from under the floor.

Never had a TC (well, one on blocks), so I'm just guessing here.

Hello, B&us gave some good info, I'll add : it would be a good idea to put some insulation in there too. Duane

B&US...the idea of the bed mat is to prevent sliding,,,a little more traction.
Signman...dont plan on winter camping so I might pass on the insulation,,

thanks

B&US...from everything i have read, the shackles are not to be torqued down tight so as to allow some flex movement. so any hing that will help prevent movement helps....including removing bed liners

rastaman said:
B&US...from everything i have read, the shackles are not to be torqued down tight so as to allow some flex movement.

True, but the shackles need to be snug.
I'd be concerned with moisture hiding, causing rust/rot. Also, a thin rubber mat will wear thru with even slight movement/vibration.

I bolt my TC to the side walls (through the top rail) of my truck box; plenty secure, though I still have the tiedowns. To raise your camper, why not make a platform with a 1"x3" (roughly) perimeter and blue polyurethane foam sheets in the middle? It would be light, strong, and provide a huge R value for the floor. ..Willy.

Willy, I thought that by increasing the surface area that the camper sits on (using a sheet of 3/4" ply) would be more stable. I do have ribbed bed liner that I really do not want to remove. My plan of a 2x4 platform was to bolt it to the frame through the center of the bed. I already have holes there where a 5th wheel used to be mounted. that way neither the bed liner of the platform would move. Then the rubber mat was to stop the frame of 2x4's that was added to the underside of the camper frame from moving on the ply.....I may over engineering this, but i tend to be that way...

thanks

I agree with willy 3x3 with enough support for bottom of camper. if you use plywood as base and camper has a plywood base the two sitting together will give you movement because two sheets of plywood will not stick together. and if you go with 3x3 base rough it up to help with slipege

the TC does not have a plywood base....well it does but there is external frame work, that was what I was planning on adding to, as I tried to explain in the original post.
thanks

don't over engineer this. it's just a way to raise up the camper.
....and there's a reason why the manufacturer did NOT sheet the bottom of the camper either...so I wouldn't be inclined to do so.

I'd just build a 2x4 framework, set your TC on it and call it macaroni.

oh, and strap that bad boy down too! :)