MDT Registered as RV in CA (possibly AZ)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
California doesn't like a lot of things. I registered my last truck in AZ 5 months ago, my first one about 1 year ago. Arizona is making you get a real ID. that is why it has taken me awhile to get my license but I have all my ducks in a row now. maybe they are letting people renew but for a new license it's a real ID. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
California doesn't like a lot of things.  I registered my last truck in AZ 5 months ago,  my first one about 1 year ago.  Arizona is making you get a real ID.  that is why it has taken me awhile to get my license but I have all my ducks in a row now.  maybe they are letting people renew but for a new license it's a real ID.  highdesertranger

Thank you so much for your reply,

Just to clarify:

I am brining a 1995 Diesel from out of state. So I want to re title the truck for a lower GVW 26K or 20K (for insurance purposes). I am going to have the truck shipped to AZ (if I need it there for any inspections).

So once I have the out of state title and truck in AZ.

- I  go to DMV and register with my CA drivers license and my CA address.
or
- I go with my CA drivers License and use my AZ address (friends)

If I use my CA address, then my insurance will see that and want to insure it in CA? or if I get pulled over with AZ plates and CA address will that raise a red flag?

Do you know if I have to have it inspected\weighed\emissions checked?

Twitch, love that truck! How about putting a used truck sleeper cab on the front of the flatbed. I think the problem you will have if you register it as an RV and remove the "camper" part is law enforcement will have many ways to cite you. Just a few that come to mind are unregistered commercial vehicle, unlicensed CDL (even if under 26,000 lbs, the air brakes is a license requirement). Just my thoughts and the DOT officers are not lenient and/or forgiving. Bill C

I lived in Ca. You can put a camper or shell on a pickup and register it as a non commercial vehicle, but if you then take the camper or shell off, it is ticket time. If you stay in the same place in Ca. and have out of State plates, they can cite you with a fix it ticket and make you register it in Ca. after a month or two. You could fight the ticket in court, but Ca. is no stranger to people avoiding their taxes. Judge may say show me evidence it is normally kept out of State. How is it you spend the majority of your time in this State but your registered in another?
Sure Arizona will let you register with a friend or fake address, but that won't protect you in California.
BTW Ca. also has a law that says all flat bed trucks must stop at weigh stations. It doesn't say unless empty. They might want to do a safety check on you, (brakes, tires, horn etc.), If they find something wrong, you are not going anywhere without it being towed to a shop. http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/trucks/weigh-stations.html If the pickup has a GVWR of 11,500 pounds or more, an unladen weight 8,001 pounds, not equipped with an open-box type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length, or the pickup bed has been removed and a utility body or flat bed has been mounted, then it no longer meets the definition of pickup in CVC Section 471; it is then a "motor truck" under CVC Section 410 and required to stop at the weigh stations.
Soooo glad I moved to Nevada.

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would stay in a state  that has so much BS.