Need suggestions for durable & inexpensive storage / gear, bags please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentawave

Reaction score
I need a bunch of durable bags to store stuff in my Sienna minivan and in my Thule roof top cargo box. The bags should close tight with a drawstring or velcro. I was going to use hard plastic containers but they will waste a lot of space. I looked for gear / storage bags on Amazon and Walmart and was really surprised at how expensive they were. I looked at vacuum storage bags at Harbor Freight but they won't be durable enough. Laundry bags were inexpensive and should be durable so I'll probably buy a couple. The downside to using laundry bags only is that they are really BIG.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

You can buy pillow cases cheap at a second hand store. In the St. Vincent De Paul store I used to visit they had a lot of them at 25 cents each.

Walmart sells a laundry bag. It is a heavy duty cloth bag that I am impressed with. A drawstring on the top with a plastic thing to keep it closed. It is much bigger than a pillowcase I’d say it would have twice the volume. I bought one for my laundry and was surprised at the heavy duty thick material and well-made it was. Look in the housewares areas near where they have the laundry baskets or I ask someone to find it for you. I can’t remember the price I paid but it was less than $10 and I think that thing will last longer than I am alive.

"old school" days we did army/navy surplus stores or find someone with access to base exchange.

nature lover said:
Walmart sells a laundry bag...

Yeah, things that are marketed for camping or backpacking will have higher prices than household-item-type stuff.

Here is a link to the Walmart laundry bag I was talking about they also have a jumbo one for just a little more money. But I think there’s 12 bags for $36 sounds like a bargain. And if they are made out of the same material as mine they would be great. Most of the reviews are good but a few are bad to say that the string disintegrates when you wash it but I haven’t washed mine. I just use it to carry my dirty laundry. There’s also a bigger one I think I might have the jumbo. Looks like a cheap way to solve your problem and if it doesn’t work you haven’t got much of an investment in it. I like the fact that they come in multiple colors so you can sure remember you put different stuff in different colors when you sort through it you can grab the right one.I wish you luck

I use a lot of gallon freezer bags but they do deteriorate over time. I have adapted some cheap reusable cloth grocery bags and occasionally come across used book bags or backpacks that work well, you might try some garage sales. Harbor Freight usually has some tool bags on sale with coupons as well. Walmart laundry bags are hard to beat though.

I have used Sportsman's Guide before make sure you read what they are selling carefully. Watch for keywords like Military style, or GI type. Example would be "NATO style gas can" or "GI type tent stakes" these are actually cheap chinese knock offs and are beyond a waste of money.

Highdesertranger

Being the cheapskate I am, I can tell you that thrift stores often have a good selection of bags with all kinds of closures.

Also, it's good to give new life to old stuff when you can to benefit the earth and your pocketbook. (I mean, this is CRVL, right?)

I know I just talked smack on Sportsman Guide but I didn't mean don't shop there just be careful. They have some good deals just make sure of what you are getting. Highdesertranger

Yeah I would not send the OP to sportsman's guide if they were looking for a used 'military style' nightvision scope, leftover M1 Abrams tank, or surplus Nimitz class aircraft carrier...

But dry bags yeah....I'm thinking they will be mostly ok (for the money) no matter where they are made and what style they are.

I hear you Texas, I just wanted to warn everyone. They got me before when I didn't really read the ad thoroughly. Damn tent stakes were junk. But when I reread the add it said something to the effect of "GI STYLE" tent stakes. No wonder they were so cheap.

However they do have some good stuff. Just pay attention.

Highdesertranger

I just sew what I need if I can't find it to buy.

travelaround said:
You can buy pillow cases cheap at a second hand store. In the St. Vincent De Paul store I used to visit they had a lot of them at 25 cents each.

Yup. And remember, you can always cut two or more of them open and sew them together to make a larger bag.

Pillow case fabric is quite sturdy. Easy to make drawstrings to close them.

Great ideas from all of you. Thank you! I dug deeper into Amazon and found some inexpensive smaller laundry bags and even smaller bags than that.