Need a new fridge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wego12345

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I finally purchased a used RV and have started getting ready to hit the road in a few months. Still trying to get everything settled with my home. I purchased a 1997 Minnie Winnie and I am searching for a new refridgerater. Can someone tell me the best place to look online for purchasing one to replace the one in my RV. I took it to a local rv shop and they tried ordering one from somewhere but they said it was backordered. I waited over a month and finally gave up. Any help would be appeciated.

Preston

Welcome. It would help to know the model you already have (usually inside on a side sticker). Are you wanting to replace it with the same kind? What is wrong with what you have? Most first timers crank the thermostat to max and the fridge doesn't cool but the freezer is cold. I have my thermostat at about 2.5. Propane cooling is a two stage affair and with the heat (thermostat) cranked on high, the second stage doesn't get a chance to work. They also take about 24 hours to cool down.

I installed a regular small apartment one as we are stationary. In my opinion they are way overpriced. If you are going to use solar or 12 volt power most of the time I would look at those instead of a "three way" rv style. KSL classifieds and many large want adds have an RV parts section that may provide repair/parts used units section as well.

They are great 'till the sun don't shine for a few days and you are staring at a almost depleted battery bank. Great for being stationary with shore power. I love my 3 way absorption fridge and won't hesitate to replace it with another. It sips propane and I need propane for hot water, to cook and stay warm anyway.

They use no more than 12v fridges that everyone has. Start your engine or generator for an hour or 2 worst case scenario. After a while 3 ways get old filling propane. They use about a 1lb a day give or take. Not too bad but finding propane can take you out of the way sometimes.

Many trade out their 3 way for a residential anyway. I recommend getting at least 400w of solar if you do. Which is still cheaper than any other option....

Welcome Preston to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

are you sure. you need a new one. I would troubleshoot your old one to make sure you need a whole new unit. Brain already got you started on the trouble shooting.

highdesertranger

wego12345 said:
Hello everyone! I finally purchased a used RV and have started getting ready to hit the road in a few months. Still trying to get everything settled with my home. I purchased a 1997 Minnie Winnie and I am searching for a new refridgerater. Can someone tell me the best place to look online for purchasing one to replace the one in my RV. I took it to a local rv shop and they tried ordering one from somewhere but they said it was backordered. I waited over a month and finally gave up. Any help would be appeciated.

Preston

Just curious if it might be repaired? I have one that age and was able to replace the mother board and it has been working for 3 years since with no issues. The igniter was not firing and it is part of the board.

It was $120

The burner or nozzles also easily plug as propane tends to be dirty. I have unplugged many fridges that were replaced for that simple reason.

If it cannot be repaired finding a fridge can sometimes be done at a RV RECYCLING place depending on your location. There is several in Arizona. I’m currently in western Washington and there is one here.

If you need more help diagnosing send me a message and I’ll be happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a propane fridge you have more options for parking in the shady areas with a bunch of trees. It's one less thing draining the battery bank.

Yes, you have to buy propane to run it.

And propane has to be had for the other stuff anyway. I doubt mine even comes close to a pound of propane a day.