Neat little homemade trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
At the ferry terminal in Prince Rupert,British Columbia. Looks like a Honda CRV pulling it.

DSC07035.JPGDSC07036.JPGDSC07033.JPG

Attachments

• DSC07035.JPG
    DSC07035.JPG
    564.1 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC07033.JPG
    DSC07033.JPG
    561.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC07036.JPG
    DSC07036.JPG
    499.8 KB · Views: 71
slow2day said:
At the ferry terminal in Prince Rupert,British Columbia. Looks like a Honda CRV pulling it.

It's cute and original.  Looks ultra light.

now see I see it totally differently. I don't see cute I see someone who doesn't know what they are doing and a trailer that is probably a hazard on the road.

first off look a the clearance between the tires and the fenders. it's no much, which tends to mean that it's way overloaded.

then the windows. household windows have no place on a mobile build, none. I don't care how people try to justify it, it not the right product for the job.

then the door. obviously something is gong on there because they have a bungee holding the door closed. am I surprised? no not at all from what I can see from the pictures.

so to recap cute no, hazard yes.

I know I am a buzz killer, Debbie downer, but you have to be realistic whenyou look at things.

highdesertranger

^
Yeah, not the most solid rig on the road, for sure.

I tried to catch up to them and check it out more to see if it was just a weekend toy or not but they outran me.

I'd be curious as to how leak proof it is...

boy what a messed up post that was(mine). spelling errors, grammar errors. sorry about that folks. the only defense I can offer is I hadn't had my coffee yet, I know that's a poor excuse. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
....what a messed up post that was (mine).  spelling errors.  the only defense I can offer is I hadn't had my coffee yet,  I know that's a poor excuse.  highdesertranger

What spelling errors?  You had me wondering that maybe the metal construction would  make it sound like a gong every time the bungee snapped the door closed...

Judging from the hinges, the door opens out. So I'm not sure how that bungee could be holding it closed, since it's pulling to the outside.

The bugee cord is positioned down (mostly) and a little bit forward.  It would keep the door from opening very far and provide a small force to close.

With the heart on the back door, it makes me think of that song "The love shack baby".

ckelly78z said:
With the heart on the back door, it makes me think of that song "The love shack baby".

LOL...maybe it's a mobile entrepreneur of a sort.

A large red heart with a sticker above the says "<something> girls, kick ass."

Airstream's don't have joins like that.

The latest from Airstream is the "(NEST)", a very small trailer that starts at USD $45,900.

I saw one of those "Nest" last winter at a gas station. I talked with the guy he let me look inside, kinda neat looking but for 45k, forget it. highdesertranger

Saw one today that had a really neat curved attached awning, bet that was an expensive add on.

I've always been interested in what people build for themselves, and you get to see a wildly diverse range of camping trailers constructed on the self assembly Harbour Freight/Irontron type trailers.

Likewise, on re-purposed boat and garden trailers where allowances for weight and balance never seem to make it into the equation!

I like the simplicity of this camper, lightweight aluminium sheeting, sealant and a riviter being the main items necessary.

Provided it's legal, everything else is personal taste and it has probably accompanied and protected its owners for many nights and countless miles to their continued satisfaction.

It would have been really interesting to have seen the interior

Yes the fenders could use a bit more clearance. But that looks to be the worst of it. Seeing bungee cords on trailer doors are not too unusual, some of those lock mechanisms are not the most reliable. I belong to a fiberglass travel trailer forum. There are lots of reports about the doors coming open while driving down the road on both older and newer, well know brands of trailers.

Love the little stove pipe coming out the side. It looks like a trailer in a pre-1950 cartoon. Something Mickey would have taken on an adventure. You could write a child's storybook about this little trailer, it would make great illustrations.