Narrow twin mattress?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
I need a narrow twin (30x72-75) mattress, preferably memory foam.  Anyone know of a source?  All I've found on Amazon is the Zinus which is full of fiberglass, and I don't want to be breathing that stuff in.

Thanks.

Full of fiberglass? WTH. Do you have a link?

You can get regular twin size foam mattresses, 37"x74", and then cut down to 30" using an electric carving knife, or even non-electric. Van dwellers have done that. In my van, I have an 8" thick regular twin, and it has 3 layers: firm on the bottom, medium-firm, and thin memory foam on top. It's very comfortable, I think more so than any single foam would be.

I should add that, due to hip issues, I cannot sleep on thin single layer 3" foam mattresses, so need something a lot thicker.

arhly said:
In the U. S., a mattress 30 inch wide is a standard size that is usually called "cot" size.

Correct. JRR, you want to search for cot mattresses. For example, googling led me to this:

https://www.mattressinsider.com/foam-cot-mattress.html

"
...we offer all of the most popular cot mattress sizes including: 24 x 72, 28 x 75, 30 x 75, 30 x 76, 30 x 77, 35 x 72, 36 x 75, 36 x 76, 38 x 72."

The standard industry width of a twin mattress is 38". You can find charts of the standard sizes online.

There is no standard designation of "narrow twin" size so that will be a useless keyword string to search with.

Cot or "small single" is the mattress that is 30" wide by 75" long. You can get them in different thickness from companies such as this one. https://medmattress.com/product-category/camp-dorm/camp-mattresses/

The narrowest "truck sleeper cab" mattress is 32" wide and 79" long. That is a specialty item that is purchased online from companies that are in the trucking industry. The good thing about the trucker mattress companies is that the realize some of the truckers are "beefy" so they do make those mattresses available in firm high densities meant for daily use by adults rather than being something more typically used by a child or on a foldaway cot meant for the occasional overnight guest. Some of the online mattress companies do take special size orders.

I got mine on Amazon from Fortnight Bedding. I can’t post links here yet, but a search for “Fortnight Bedding cot” should bring them up. I have the 6” firm foam mattress with a separately purchased eggshell crate topper, and the combo is comfortable both for sitting during the day and for sleeping.

Stacy you can post links. the powers that be took the restrictions off awhile back. hell you can post a malware link on your first post now or a fake anything. you no longer have to be a contributing member to post a link. highdesertranger

I did some poking around on the web regarding the fiberglass issue mentioned by OP, and it does appear some or many (???) foam mattresses do have a lining inside the outer cover than contains fiberglass used as a flame retardant. Unbelievable, you never know WTH people are selling anymore.

Great thread.
I made the bed in my van half width for more usable space and was unaware of cot mattresses. A couple of yoga mats were a bit too spartan.
I've seen what looks like fiberglass in a mattress cover, but did not make the connection. The more you know...

The Fortnight mattresses come in COT30, COT33, and COT36 sizes. 3, 4, 5, or 6 inch thickness.

Another thought is to get two (2) 30"x75" mattresses, and fold one out the way to use a couch back (or a 60" wide bed if needed), or can double up a 6"thick mattress for a 12" thick bed. I would make two fitted covers for both mattresses just like RV campers have.

MotorVation said:
I bought mine at this place. It's 30" x 74 1/2"

http://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/sleepus3.htm
They are a mattress factory and will make any size you need. 
It took about 7-10 days to get here and I'm happy with it. 

Best thing is to call the guy and  discuss what you need.

I’ve  bought from here several times with very good results!  Guy knows his industry and will ask you a few questions and then give recommendations if you’re open to them!

Last time I was torn between two options so he did one on one side and the second option on side two so I can choose or switch when I want!
SD

Yep,
I was on the phone with him for quite a while. I was surprised at the quality of the mattress when I opened it up. Looks just like a regular inner spring mattress but there are no springs. I got the 5" 1.9 density foam with the 2 1\2" bamboo pillow top. He told me if I get stuck in hot weather to flip the mattress over and it will sleep cooler. The more I sleep on it, the better it feels. I'm really looking forward to when it's totally broken in. It cost me about 200 bucks and was worth every penny.

I buy most of my stuff off Amazon due to my aversion to salespeople with attitudes and or no real knowledge, but this guy has my business for life

Edited to add: I'm pretty sure I found his site by a post you made a while back. Thanks

One thing I discovered is, gel memory foam gets hard in freezing temperatures. I don't run my Buddy heater while sleeping, so I've seen temps as low as 10°F inside. The mattress would be rock hard, thawing a little with my body heat. In the summer, that mattress would hold my body heat too well and I'd be sweating all night. I have a pillow-top twin now, but am thinking of getting a trucker mattress with springs for comfort.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I wish he had latex options! I’ve slept on latex and really like it! Other than that I can’t think of a thing to improve his service or products! He’s way above memory foam now as it is!

Oh and memory foam (Which sounds good in commercials) isn’t even on the list once you know about latex!

SD