My project teardrop is coming along

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrettwolf

Reaction score
First teardrop camper I have ever built. Just finished the trailer for it, minus wiring and taillights. So excited!!
ae87ce5215f68de32dbda39db6fe2fcd.jpg
676b5daf29b3c28d39c8ba3c6b3c5ab2.jpg
92dab5eb70246e97c781e32b197fe8e5.jpg
da6c6f2f138fc5a1320216a3d7c5c214.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Got it on the trailer !!!!
42bb020103cac6796d603f7c3987be60.jpg

Right now, about $600 , still alot to do.

Still a far cry from even the $2500 for a base Runaway
where'd you source the trailer if you don't mind be being nosy?

Harbor Freight trailer, 1195 wt. On sale $279. It was red I repainted it.

many bad reports for HF trailers here's a few,
frame not square causing it to dog walk down the highway.
bolts that hold it together come loose. a lot of the people over at TTnT square the frame and weld it.
frame bends easy when off road.
tires are junk get new tires asap.
axle bends easy when off road.
spindles bend even on the highway.
hubs not centered.
poor quality bearings.
odd bearings not common sizes.
insufficient grease on bearings from the factory.
not saying your trailer has or will have any of these issues. but they are common.
highdesertranger

Good checklist, at least, maybe get good locknuts / use blue locktite
Or if you can weld..

Did use lock nuts and lock tight, squared the frame as best I could, I have a buddy who is going to weld some on it for me. Good checklist though. I won't be doing much off roading in it, it's my first one , just seeing what it's like to build one, next will be better.

if the deck board is 3/4, that should actually firm up the frame some

Actually, it's 1/2" then 2x4 framing , with styrofoam insulation then 3/4" plywood again

That should be pretty good, too
i've thought of doing similar but without the tear shape, mostly because I'm not too sure i could get the wood curved right, I am not a good carpenter, just passable

saaweet,yea,those little tires make me suspect little axles,i like to over build,well,i have to over build because i break everthing

ArtW said:
That should be pretty good, too
i've thought of doing similar but without the tear shape, mostly because I'm not too sure i could get the wood curved right, I am not a good carpenter, just passable

Art I built a box 80" x 11' x 74" using interior doors doweled together and PMF encapsulating the whole thing, basic structure was less than $600 and it has held up great over 3 years.  No holes in the roof no windows and no leaks.  More room than a van and mounted on a heavy duty flat bed utility trailer with no problems so far.  Lots of work for one person but doable and simple.  Head room is 2" taller than I am so no wasted space.

Your project is almost done and I must say that it's a job well done. All your effort and hard work will soon be paid off.

Latest posts