My project teardrop is coming along

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems a high quality aluminum utility trailer costs between $2500 to $3000 and steel $1500 to $2100 depending on size. If you spend $1000 to build a box structure tall enough to stand in 12' x 6' that puts costs not including your labor about in line with a poorly built cargo trailer. Tnttt answers all building questions on it's forum. I built mine with a Ryobi drill and circle saw in the middle of the desert. I can not understand why more people with little money and lots of time don't see this as the way to get on the road, especially if you need a little more room than a van. Garrettwolf you are doing great, can not wait till you make your next one out of foam.

yes, I know, but what did it weigh? lol
did you do a build thread?

ArtW said:
yes, I know, but what did it weigh? lol
did you do a build thread?

Between 500lbs and 800lbs for the box.  I pull it loaded with 400lbs to 500lbs of gear on a steel trailer that weighs about 600lbs and pulled it with a 2.7 liter Tacoma.  I can maintain 60 MPH on flat ground easily in 4th gear.  The reason you can get by with such a cheap trailer is due to the light weight of the camper.  Garrettwolf's build is light but heavy by Tnttt standards.  There is a hexayert 6' x 10' on a cheap trailer that was towed 1500 miles on the interstate with a sub compact car made of foam, duct tape, and covered with PMF with a water system/waste tank and a build in swamp cooler that was built in 4 weeks that has survived, amazing.

that is amazing
I have a pretty decent home built 4x8 cargo trailer that was never registered, that I still haven't gotten taken care of, it pulls pretty nice though
I could do a simple (literaly, there are plans on TnTTT called a 'simple' lol
of course, I also have a van, so....

bullfrog said:
Between 500lbs and 800lbs for the box.  I pull it loaded with 400lbs to 500lbs of gear on a steel trailer that weighs about 600lbs and pulled it with a 2.7 liter Tacoma.  I can maintain 60 MPH on flat ground easily in 4th gear.  The reason you can get by with such a cheap trailer is due to the light weight of the camper.  Garrettwolf's build is light but heavy by Tnttt standards.  There is a hexayert 6' x 10' on a cheap trailer that was towed 1500 miles on the interstate with a sub compact car made of foam, duct tape, and covered with PMF with a water system/waste tank and a build in swamp cooler that was built in 4 weeks that has survived, amazing.
First 1 I have ever built so it's a learning process. Everytime I work this one I learn what I could do differently. I'm enjoying my time, and if I should build another I may do it differently. I'm really happy with how it's turned out so far.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ArtW said:
that is amazing
I have a pretty decent home built 4x8 cargo trailer that was never registered, that I still haven't gotten taken care of, it pulls pretty nice though
I could do a simple (literaly, there are plans on TnTTT called a 'simple' lol
of course, I also have a van, so....
I thought about pulling this with a van.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If I had the experience with how my van drives, vs my Ranger pulling that little 4x8, I might've stayed with the 4x8 or bought a Runaway with the money I sunk into the van
maybe it's just an adjustment period, but driving the van is weird and uncomfortable
Plus I'm at a loss as to building it out, as it has a lot of extras to deal with, being a conversion van

Garrettwolf you only get better with experience but I bet your camper will cost a quarter of what a similar manufactured camper would have cost you and be 4 times better built. I have over built to the limit of what I can pull just because I wanted to make sure it would last as long as possible. It is just hard to make ones self believe these lightweight campers work and last as well as they do, but making yourself do something like this the first time is hard especially with precious little money. Congratulations!

Your wood work looks pretty good. Was it built from a set of plans, or your own design?
A couple thoughts, after your friend squares and welds it, you might consider finding a Dexter axle and up grading the wheels and tires. You would be set at that point.