My Overdue Intro

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free Range Chicken

Reaction score
Hi all!!!

I finally decided to introduce myself, i probably also have an overdue thread on my conversion as well. I should get that posted soon. To all those who read through this whole post, thanks for your time!

I came to this forum about 2 years ago inspired by Bob's landing page (www.cheaprvliving.com), and found an incredible option of living, which means more freedom and lower my cost of living.
Since then i got hooked to this idea.

I am a Mexican immigrant (not illegal :p, so please excuse my bad grammar / vocabulary), that came to work / following the American dream, left my country around 4 years ago when I was in my mid 20's.
I'm single and I don't see that situation changing soon. If i get to find one, she must be flexible with this dream at least to some degree.

Currently my job makes me travel every certain months to a new random place in this country ( I am a computer programmer), and i have to pay for stays on my own. It can get complicated if my project is only a month long and then i have to go to a new state / city. The cost of living in hotels can get really costly, and apartments for lease with such small terms are almost inexistent anywhere. I did the roommate thing for a couple of years but it is just too much for me to handle.

So, i am having a "planned" approach, where, fortunately, i have no hurry in the conversion of a new van ( Other than the motivation)

A problem for me is the available time for this conversion: I am currently working on my day job ( 40 hours a week ), going to make my exercise ( I like to workout ) , and also feel like need some human connection ( friends), after all those needs, my free time every week for working on this conversion project is veeery limited ( 8 - 16 hours per week).
That is the same reason why i got so late to this intro, and why i am slow at answering my own threads.
This is the 3rd weekend that i give up all friends / parties in order to make progress and I am happy to be saying that, it makes me happy what I am doing.

So going back to the reasons / motto behind this conversion, there are many expectations /dreams ( I am born a dreamer): to be off the grid, to be Green ( using solar ) , to be free of housing ( tied to a location), to travel in my weekends to camps and have fun there, and obviously also to live cheaper (I am in a hotel that's 209 per week). The stretch goal that i'll try to achieve is to be as comfortable as possible, with a rig as versatile as possible, while keeping some grade of "stealth". ( I work mostly in big cities). I acknowledge that comfortable and cheap can't happen together so i'll try to incline towards comfortable, the budget is not small, but not unlimited.

So, after the conditions were all aligned, money, work, time, etc, decided to go ahead and buy a Nissan NV cargo high roof.
That involved a lot of courage but also a my commitment.

After i got the van, I decided to track my expenses / time spent , and it is incredibly crazy the amount of time spent so far, and i haven't really started. I believe that is due to my poor background on handy stuff ( I am a computer programmer), never have done anything like this big, but i am confident that i can make it since i am a self learner / achiever.

Again, it is impressive to me how much time I've already put on it (around 160 hours, plus another chunk like that of hours just reading through all the threads in this forum), and i believe it'll be like that for the next months to come.

A couple of extra challenges that will make my life funnier ( or harder, however you want to see it ) : no garage, live in a hotel, no electrical access / connection, can't throw an electrical extension to my van to work on it (and if i could, i'd get kicked out of this hotel), Ohio's weather can also be an extra challenge, and almost NO tools in my possession other than some screwdrivers.

To cope with all this I already got a "maker's space" membership ( It's like a woodshop that they allow you to lease for a small fee, www.colombusideafoundry.com), and use their tools.
Also, i have found spots in the city where i can do my work without anyone bothering me ( but without connections )

I am willing to find all the tools i need in a battery based version in lowes/ home depot, including the one to cut through the sheet metal of my van. Do you guys know if this that is achievable / existing? If not, then i guess i'll just bite the bullet for a generator lease, at least for the fantastic fan. Afterwards, i may get an inverter ( I already got a 200ah lifepo4 battery) and charge the battery at my hotel room overnight.

All that being said, I want to leave this post saying that i firmly believe that oneself is where the change should start if we want to live in a better world, I will do my best on this conversion and the good thing is that there is no negative outcome / mistakes, only good stuff can come out of this journey!!!

See you all around, amigos.
My Conversion thread is to come next!!!

Hello. and welcome. I think you said you bought a nissan hightop cargo van. Do not cut holes in the steel. I got a hi-top Ford with windows limo tint and some even open.Your investment will melt (if that matters) get a rack on top then if you must cut cut the roof for a fan/vent with the panel/s on top. Good luck and if your in Arizona in January stop by the RTR.

Bienvenidos mi hermano, ven al suroeste pronto!
The desert and beautiful forest await your arrival.
Welcome to a most wonderful life of peace and tranquility. Hurry and finish your conversion and head to the Southwest!

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Free Range Chicken! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

If you've been reading for any length of time, I'm sure you realize that some of our more knowledgeable members will be along to offer help and advice. Not every one checks in every day so be patient.

Isaac, anyone who risks leaving their country and comes here in search of a better life has my full admiration and respect!!! After all, we are a nation of immigrants!

It sounds like you were born to be a vandweller! Very glad you are here so we can help in any way we can. Here are ome random thoughts that occured to me from your post:

1) I highly recommend the Ryobi 18 volt tools from Home Depot. Great price for a great tool! For $100 you'll get a kit with cordless battery, skill saw, 2 batteries and a 110 charger. I'be been using them for 15 years and they are a great tool. When you buy that kit buy an extra two-pack battery because they are cheap. Also they sell a 12 volt charger with a cigarrette lighter plug so you can charge it while you drive or you can take it up to the hotel and charge it with the 110 charger over night. The sale a whole assorment of tools and you will want to get a jig saw for metal cutting. You might want a sawzall but probably not. They make a fan, radio and light that run on the same battery and they may be handy to have. They also have bigger kits that might ave you some money. Also, going into Christmas they almost always have special deals. It used to be they would give you a free tool with the kit, so I got my jig saw for free instead of $50

2) Since time is so short for you, you might consider using furniture in your conversion. A roll-top desk, computer desk, dresser drawers, futon, they all can work really well in a van. If you have a high top NV, then you might consider buying a set of bunk beds. You'll sleep on the bottom and use the whole top for storage. You can attach them to the van by using "L" brackets into the floors and into the walls.

3) I'd strongly consider plastic drawers and totes in your conversion. At Home Depot or Lowes you can find plastic organizers that are designed for garages so they are very strong and yet light and pre-made. They could make your life a lot easier!

just some ideas! Were glad you are here and want to do anything we can to help!
Bob

Welcome, Isaac! You have my dream van!

Please post pictures if and when you can so we can enjoy your progress. Remember, also, you don't have to get all of the work done at one time. Make your van as comfortable as possible, and you can remodel it and make it prettier inside as you go along.

Good luck! :)

wagoneer said:
Hello. and welcome. I think you said you bought a nissan hightop cargo van. Do not cut holes in the steel. I got a hi-top Ford with windows limo tint and some even open.Your investment will melt (if that matters) get a rack on top then if you must cut cut the roof for a fan/vent with the panel/s on top. Good luck and if your in Arizona in January stop by the RTR.

thanks for your welcome!!! I'll see if I can make it for the weekend at least at the RTR!! I will make a first hole on the backdoor for the fantastic fan. I am planning to make a second hole in it for a rooftop AC and probably i'll need a third one for solar panel cables. I keep seeing a lot of people making these holes even in the more expensive sprinter van. I will try to but rustoleum truck bed cover on any bare metal cut, to try to stop corrosion, I think that will help.

Sameer said:
Bienvenidos mi hermano, ven al suroeste pronto!
The desert and beautiful forest await your arrival.
Welcome to a most wonderful life of peace and tranquility. Hurry and finish your conversion and head to the Southwest!

Thanks Sameer! I don't know yet how soon, but i'll forsure will be in the desert! I'm doing my best to put at least some insulation and then i'm planning to work in the interior during the winter , which can get really snowy in Ohio.

cyndi said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums, Free Range Chicken! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

If you've been reading for any length of time, I'm sure you realize that some of our more knowledgeable members will be along to offer help and advice. Not every one checks in every day so be patient.

ThHanks Cyndi even though I've been a reader in this forum for more than a year, I went into the link and learn new stuff / cool tricks about the form. Thanks for your warm welcome!

akrvbob said:
Isaac, anyone who risks leaving their country and comes here in search of a better life has my full admiration and respect!!! After all, we are a nation of immigrants!

It sounds like you were born to be a vandweller! Very glad you are here so we can help in any way we can. Here are ome random thoughts that occured to me from your post:

1) I highly recommend the Ryobi 18 volt tools from Home Depot. Great price for a great tool! For $100 you'll get a kit with cordless battery, skill saw, 2 batteries and a 110 charger. I'be been using them for 15 years and they are a great tool. When you buy that kit buy an extra two-pack battery because they are cheap. Also they sell a 12 volt charger with a cigarrette lighter plug so you can charge it while you drive or you can take it up to the hotel and charge it with the 110 charger over night. The sale a whole assorment of tools and you will want to get a jig saw for metal cutting. You might want a sawzall but probably not. They make a fan, radio and light that run on the same battery and they may be handy to have. They also have bigger kits that might ave you some money. Also, going into Christmas they almost always have special deals. It used to be they would give you a free tool with the kit, so I got my jig saw for free instead of $50

2) Since time is so short for you, you might consider using furniture in your conversion. A roll-top desk, computer desk, dresser drawers, futon, they all can work really well in a van. If you have a high top NV, then you might consider buying a set of bunk beds. You'll sleep on the bottom and use the whole top for storage. You can attach them to the van by using "L" brackets into the floors and into the walls.

3) I'd strongly consider plastic drawers and totes in your conversion. At Home Depot or Lowes you can find plastic organizers that are designed for garages so they are very strong and yet light and pre-made. They could make your life a lot easier!

just some ideas! Were glad you are here and want to do anything we can to help!
Bob

Hello Bob, thanks for your nice reply!You are right I love the adventure!!! I am also very looking forward to finish the conversion and start another great adventure!

I will definitely go and checkout the Ryobi equipment that you are suggesting, sounds like the way to go for me, sounds like a great option!!!!

And for the furniture, I will start looking into furniture already made to save me some time, but I am willing to customize the van starting with a "mothers attic". So anyhow i'll have to get my hands to work a little bit hehehe.

THanks for the welcome!
Sunny1 said:
Welcome, Isaac! You have my dream van!

Please post pictures if and when you can so we can enjoy your progress. Remember, also, you don't have to get all of the work done at one time. Make your van as comfortable as possible, and you can remodel it and make it prettier inside as you go along.

Good luck! :)

Thanks Sunny1, i'll keep you all posted on my progress!!!

Isaac, Im from Texas, and one of the great things I have always admired in the Mexican People , is that they have the same ting we used to have when we built this part of the country. A love of Family, and friends and relatives willing to help each other.
Are you around anyone with skills to help ya with the Van?