my new awning - how I made it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles

Reaction score
Ok, I cannot post photos because I have a Mac. I tried chrome, but that is not working either. So you'll have to rely on your imagination.

I made my own awning from a 9x6 foot canvas drop cloth from Wal Mart (9 bucks), some industrial strength velcro ($10 bucks on Amazon), and some old tent poles from an old tent I had but had not used in years. I also some pin-rings from the tent (don't know what they are called...I call them that, because they have a metal ring attached to a metal pin.)

First, I put industrial strength velcro on my high top...9 feet across, above the side cargo doors.
Then I put the furry side of the velcro on the 9 foot end of the drop cloth.
Then I cut the 6 pin-rings from the bottom of the tent. (I had 6-sided tent.) But if you don't have an old tent, no worries.... they also sell pin-rings at Ace Hardware.
I had 3 long collapsible tent poles from the tent. I removed 2 of the 6 sections of each tent poles so they were the height of the velcro. (Each pole now has 4 sections.)
Then I tied the elastic string in a knot so they could still be collapsible poles.
I glued 3 of the pin rings to the drop cloth (so the tent poles had something to cling to).
I used flex-seal (which I had laying around) to attach the other 3 pin rings to the other ends of the tent pole permanently, so I will be able to use a tent spike to attach the metal ring to the dirt. (But you could probably use silicone caulking, or spray foam, or any kind of thick adhesive.)

So, now I have 9 x 6 awning on my van, and the only thing I needed to put on the van was industrial strength velcro!

And it cost me less than 20 bucks...plus an old tent.

Giggles if you can’t post photos I can give you my email address and you can send them to me and I’ll post them for you if you like.

Thanks, Cammalu but I also can't figure out how to make it possible for me to receive PM's. So frustrating. Heck, I didn't even realize you could even GET PM's until today, when you mentioned it on another thread.

I think what I'm going to do is make another YouTube video with all the upgrades on my van I've done (upgrades..lol....handmade upgrades, that is...) and post that on YouTube this week. I can post YouTube links just fine.

I'll have to do it next week, because I'm moving this week and next week, and I put in my 2 week's notice, so I have to move and work all at the same time. But my last day is on the 15h and my lease is up on the 16th, so after that, I can make and post a video.

Very cool idea.

you were the person thinking about doing the umbrella behind your van? but instead you went with an awning type deal?

well you are very inventive and I hope it works great for you!!!

and yea a pic or youtube to see it would be very cool!

Giggles, it sounds like you do so much cool stuff. We need photos, haha! Maybe there are some tech savvy people on here that can help you. I'm on a Mac and upload to Flickr for free and just copy and paste the image address. I admit, photo uploading is not easy to figure out on this forum, but I understand they wanted to keep operating costs down.

Post photos on a site you can provide a link to if you can't figure out how to post them in this forum. But basically reduce the size and use "new reply" for posting anything with photos.