My life begins

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesthetic Voyager

Reaction score
Greetings! Former Texan now proud Cascadian! Moved to Seattle about 2 1/2 years ago and now I am in Tacoma and I like it as cities go. Lived most of my life in Texas and I didn’t want to turn 50 and still be there. My 50th birthday was back in October 2017 and all I could say to myself was, “what’s next“?

Slowly but surely over the course of the past 15 years I have become more and more minimalist living in very small apartments saving lots of money but it’s still a struggle at times. I paid off a lot of debt but it started coming back again.

Just under a month ago, early January 2018, I had an epiphany. About 20 years ago I said to myself I wanted to live an extraordinary life. I realized all the choices that I’ve made in my life have brought me to this point. Unlike so many unfortunate people who are forced into this situation I have good credit, I don’t have any personal issues to deal with and I actually have a job that I enjoy that gives me a great deal of freedom to come and go as I please. So immediately I started searching YouTube for videos about van life and of course eventually I came upon this website and discovered Bob Wells.

Just two weeks ago I bought an excellent 2008 Honda Odyssey EX that I will be living in full Time by April 1. I will continue working in Tacoma and as the savings start to stack up I will have so much more free time to explore the Pacific Northwest and all of The West just like I always wanted to. I will eventually get a cargo trailer to convert.

I want to personally thank Bob Wells because when I get a little discouraged or nervous about my plan your videos make me feel so much better and so much more excited about this journey I’m about to embark on. I am so 100% with you and your philosophy! I thought I was going to have a miserable rest of my life but now I realize my life is just now beginning.

I intend to visit Oregon for sure and maybe I will run into Bob you out there. At least just to say thank you and give him a great big hug! Thank you so much for your inspiration! I am an aesthetic voyager and my philosophy on life is very much intertwined with nature and reaching out to find it and get as much of it as I can and that’s exactly what I intend to do!

Love and peace.
0985ab7a7bf2be457b0b7e16cafff541.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I thought I was going to have a miserable rest of my life but now I realize my life is just now beginning."

That is about how I view Bob Wells and CheapRVLiving videos too.

P.S.  I love your bushy beard!

Welcome Aesthetic Voyager to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Agree completely about Bob Well's kind generous heart, & all he gives of himself to help out anyone.

And you too have made good choices, like a Honda Odyssey that when you care for it will serve you seemingly forever. Too, our beautiful Puget Sound area is bountiful... & fruitful. :) Enjoy your stay in W. Washington.

Welcome to the forums. I think Bob has had a similar impact on hundreds if not thousands of other newly inspired nomads as well.

Safe Travels...

Just having this forum makes it so much easier to reach. Having that support from everyone is very encouraging.

Welcome from another newbie. I'm just down the road a piece outside of Portland. I hope we run into each other on the road. Not literally,of course. Peace and best of luck. Don

Tacoma has potential as a low cost place to live. My last house was there, lost early in 2010. The politics are weird, demonstrating what happens when you have one party completely ensconced.

I find it to be a good base of operations in the Pacific Northwest. Cost-of-living is cheaper and much less traffic then Seattle with the exception of I-5. Easy access to the Olympic Peninsula.