My Future Modular Cargo Trailer Kitchen

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what you mean about the weight on the trailer Bob? This will be light. It'll be secure. Stuff will get cupboard doors, etc. - everything will be built in to the walls except what I want portable and that will secure somehow for travel. But I don't think there is going to be a huge amount of wood added. The loveseat only weighs about 60 pounds so maybe 80 by the time I add the end extensions to make the bed. The window weight is probably the thing I have to be the most concerned with. The trailer dry weighs 2190 and we're towing with a 2500 HD Chevy 4x. I think we'll put vinyl on the floor with lots of throw carpets so I can shake those out (we have 2 dogs). The refrigerator, batteries and water are all big things to account for. I'm trying to aim for getting the heaviest weight over the tires. Oh yea, I have to figure solar weight too!

I'm not going to be able to get everything to start so I'll have to leave space for items later and add them as I can. This city living is breaking the bank.

Make certain the trailer has adequate tongue weight when you are done. Tail heavy or even neutral weight can be extremely dangerous. The tail will wag the dog. Plenty of examples of this on youtube and it almost always ends very badly.

Yes, we've towed before. As I space out the weight I am trying to lay it out so that it is stable enough and weight is distributed as it should be - 10-15% tongue weight of total trailer weight . I will not make the tail too heavy and will try to balance the heaviest weights over the axles on equal walls. We will use a level to be sure we are traveling straight. We'll be adding a sway bar. This light trailer really doesn't need weight distribution IF it's loaded properly. We will also keep the heavy items near the floor and not the ceiling with the exception of I don't know how the windows will figure in and where yet as far as weight.

We have pretty good clearance on the trailer and outstanding on the truck. The goal is to secure everything so well it can handle the side to side of rough terrain without falling apart. Everything will be screwed/bolted not stapled or nailed.

I am starting some pages to put up on the website listing items we need, choices available, costs and our choice and reason for same. I'm going to thank those YouTubers who have taken the time to post their builds and in return post ours. Due to the need to proceed as quickly as possible and have it ready for summer fun I will take photos and post to the blog. Videos will be taken but it won't be until we have time that they will eventually get put up. The blog is better anyway because text is easy to refer back to and find exactly the information one is looking for.

I just finished notes on insulation and will be putting that up very soon. We are going to go with the Denium and I should be out there measuring now. It's going to cost about $1K but it is the most important build upgrade you can give yourself. And you'll only have (hopefully) the walls off once. So ouch big time. I won't know the real cost until we measure (and finish) but I'll post my notes for all the stuff we do or at least try to keep it up.