My first essay into fiction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scary! Real good job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if you want an actual critique, but here goes. I think it needs a lot of editing. There are redundancies and unnecessary phrases. And there are some misused words (rift and roughage, for example). Here's how I would rework the first paragraph to make it crisper.

The crimson evening sun dropped behind a low strip of clouds as the wanderer took the final swig from a can of beer. He smashed the can between his palms and let it drop onto the unmowed roadside among broken beer bottles, countless cigarette butts, a high heeled shoe, a torn leather work glove. Numberless drivers leaving sign of their passing at this interchange. Time to move on and find a place out of town to spend the night.

Thanks for reading everyone! I've been traveling the last few days and haven't kept up with things.

@MrNoodly: I know my style of writing is not very smooth, some things could be reworded. Just looking at the story today I see many sentences that could be reworded. Some of the wordiness was deliberate, though. I just finished re-reading one of Cormac McCarthy's most verbose works, and his writing style probably influenced mine.

hmm, well...I'm tempted to not say anything, but that was pretty...rough. Not sure how much critique you're looking for, so I'll stop here. I will say I've always enjoyed your travel logs :)

Latest posts