My Daddy Always Said

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard this one until I moved out.

You would complain about being hung with a new rope.

Who wouldn’t? New ropes (old style) are rough and who wants to be hung? I put that with his golden slipper saying. One he probably was really drunk when he first heard it.
I’ve heard that one too, and felt the same way. 🤗 Shoot, I’ve said it myself!

Dad always had a word or encouragement, he told me "you're not completely useless, you can be used as a bad example" He also had a ethical streak, he said "you should never hit someone who is down, it's a lot easier to kick em"

My step-dad said

Children should be seen and not heard

He was 25 years my mom's senior and of an age 😁

^LOL...back in high school I would occasionally go with my best friend to visit his grandparents out in the country. His grandpa was nearly deaf and had a hearing aid and when the house was full of kids and yapping cousins 'catching up' he would sit there reading his newspaper with the hearing aid turned off. The noisy younguns didn't bother him a bit.

If you’re going to wrestle with pigs, you're going to get dirty.
The version I've heard is "Never wrestle with a pig -- you'll both get dirty and the pig will enjoy it."

A teacher at my high school used to say, "If you say A, you have to say B" (wenn man A sagt, dann muss man auch B sagen). I have never in 50+ years figured out what that meant.

^ Did he teach algebra? Or German?

Last edited:
My dad would hate the lack of dexterity when wearing gloves so would say. Gloves on a man half a man.
When nailing up exterior sheathing during the winter we would cut the ends off the index and thumb part of the left glove plus carried hand warmers.

^ Did he teach algebra? Or German?
German. He taught literature to the native-speaking-level kids, I didn't have him. (It was a bilingual school, I was in the middle level, more than foreign language but less than native language.) I just remember him saying it in assembly and places like that. It's some kind of aphorism about life.:unsure:

"You must finish what you start"

(Thank you Google)

Last edited:
A teacher at my high school used to say, "If you say A, you have to say B" (wenn man A sagt, dann muss man auch B sagen). I have never in 50+ years figured out what that meant.
it means explain the logic and reasoning behind what you just said.

The goal of education is not rote learning alone.

Last edited:
One Halloween my father and his brother were grounded. They got caught stealing watermelons from old man Smith. They had the perfect plan to get back at him. They almost had the outhouse up on his porch roof when he and his dog came out of the woods with a shotgun. Well of course they dropped that thing eight feet to the ground where it busted into splinters. They had to work for Old Man Smith for a month to pay for the supplies to build another outhouse.

He started looking at me funny when I asked one simple question.

How come you didn’t move it back two feet?