My Daddy Always Said

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old man was a good provider, but teaching me things was not his his strong point.

He did say multiple times to find something you like to do and find a way to get paid for it.

Well I once ventured into making surfboards with that advice in mind, but found that the Egos involved in that world were huge, Unstable, violent and tremendously fragile, Kind of like our New president.

Also the process itself is toxic, with too much waste and time spend among dangerous dust and solvents, and there is no money in it anyway.

If they will lie to you about the little things, they will lie to you on the big ones.

if it won't matter in 30 minutes it doesn't matter now (Grand dad)

You can do anything you set your mind to

Trust is easier to keep than earn back

If you tell someone this is how something works, damn well know what you are talking about because they may expect you to do it.

SternWake said:
My old man was a good provider, but teaching me things was not his his strong point.

He did say multiple times to find something you like to do and find a way to get paid for it.

Well I once ventured into making surfboards with that advice in mind, but found that the Egos involved in that world were huge, Unstable, violent and tremendously fragile, Kind of like our New president.

Also the process itself is toxic, with too much waste and time spend among dangerous dust and solvents, and there is no money in it anyway.
My grandma told me the same thing so I tried it, went to work as a divemaster.  It was only fun for a few weeks and then it got tiresome; dealing with poorly trained/big ego divers who had zero business out on the boat, even though they had all the latest and greatest toys in their gear bag.  I learned a valuable lesson, turning your avocation into your vocation can suck the joy right out of it.

Take what you want, but eat what you take.

Queen said:
My grandma told me the same thing so I tried it, went to work as a divemaster.  It was only fun for a few weeks and then it got tiresome; dealing with poorly trained/big ego divers who had zero business out on the boat, even though they had all the latest and greatest toys in their gear bag.  I learned a valuable lesson, turning your avocation into your vocation can suck the joy right out of it.

I tried it with photography and teaching how to fly RC airplanes. It sucked the life right out of them.

Queen said:
  I learned a valuable lesson, turning your avocation into your vocation can suck the joy right out of it.

I don't know about that.  I made a lot of money tearing things apart, and putting them back together.  :D

GotSmart said:
I don't know about that.  I made a lot of money tearing things apart, and putting them back together.  :D

Maybe it only applies if you have to interact with other people to follow your passion. If someone would have paid me to dive solo, that would have been excellent!

my dad was/is a drunken druggie so i never listened to the crap that came out of his mouth

but my grandpa

if your not bleeding your not working hard enough
if you lie i am going to kick your ass
if you cheat i am going to kick your ass
if you dishonor my name i will kick your ass
you turned 16 yesterday so here is a full time asphalt roofing job,if you quit i will kick your ass

trust me getting your ass kicked by a ww2 vet is on a whole different level of ass kicking

1944francewithcapturedgermantank001.jpg

france after the bulge

heaven knows where i would be without him,i can tell you the kid i was hanging with is doing 25-life for murder

The best advice he ever gave me was "Get a fixed rate mortgage" That is why I still have a house.

The most useless, "You have to learn to sail if you want a rich husband because you can't play golf well enough" as if women are out there impressing rich dudes with their golf and/or sailing skills. LOL

slynne said:
The best advice he ever gave me was "Get a fixed rate mortgage" That is why I still have a house.

The most useless, "You have to learn to sail if you want a rich husband because you can't play golf well enough" as if women are out there impressing rich dudes with their golf and/or sailing skills. LOL

Well, it would have been creepy if he'd told the truth and talked about boob size.

What?! Boob size? No wonder why my pickup line, "Wanna see me clear the main halyard in my boatswain chair?" never worked!

Queen said:

Didn't work with Auto repair
I loved it when I did it for fun, doing it for a living, with a steady stream of Aholes asking why I hadn't done 10 hours work in two, hell, I don't even like working on my own fool vehicles, now

Debaiting with someone that has a closed mind is like wrestling with a pig.  You wont win, and the pig likes it.

My Dad rarely spoke with me -- I was a girl. (Still am.)

But from my Mom:

Use it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without.

Don't throw that out! We haven't gotten all the good out of it yet!

If dinner is going to be late and your husband will be home soon, set the table FIRST! It makes them think dinner will be ready soon.

Lol! How things have changed!

My Mother, she would always yell at us in Italian when we would bother her.  We never could make out what she was saying.  My daughter asked for something about 25 years ago when she was in her 80's, and she poped off with the same thing.  I finally asked her what was she saying.  She first looked confused, and then started laughing.   

Back in the 1920's when she was little, her mother would tell her to go down to Mrs Roselli's house, and ask for  Un litre patencia.  Well mrs Roselli was a buisy woman, and would tell her to sit down, and she would get it.  After a while, she would dissapear, and my mother would wander home.  My Mother took to saying the same thing when she was buisy, and was bothered.  It wasn't until I asked, that she realized just what her mother was saying.

Get me a litre of patience.   In American, dont bother me.  Just wait~ somewhere else.   :cool:

And unfortunately, the world is full of people - including, I'm sorry to say, one or two here - who DIDN'T pay any attention to the really wonderful advice their mother or father gave them:

"Stop Being Such An Asshole!"