My conversion: Advice needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollyChamp

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I finally got the roof fixed in my '97 dodge ram van 2500 and am currently installing the insulation.  I was curious what your thoughts were on wall and ceiling materials?   I was planning on 1/4" luaun for the walls and ceiling as fixing my roof already cost me a good 3" of space.  My concern is whether or not this will rattle around too much while driving.  It's already pretty loud when driving down the highway but I am hoping the insulation I will be putting in the walls this weekend will fix that.  I am using solid foam insulation and I am filling in the cracks with spray foam.  This is what I have available so no other option on that one.

I would really appreciate some input.  The summer is half over and I am running out of weekends where I have access to a shop.
I am also attaching a photo of the van to give you all an update on how it is coming.

Attachments

• Van with topper.jpg
    Van with topper.jpg
    154.6 KB
How much paneling rattles depends on how firmly it's connected to the walls.

If it's only got screws in it every 4' and nothing firm behind it then it's likely to rattle. If it's screwed down to all the ribs and at the edges and there's insulation board behind it then it shouldn't rattle at all.

Getting something more on the floor than the original matting will do a lot for sound deadening as will finishing the walls. There is no way a van is ever going to be as quiet as a top of the line car...just ain't built for quiet. It's going to sound like a van/truck no matter what!

I would use 1/8 inch instead of 1/4. if you want to attach things to the walls put backing in before hand or you could attach 1x2's to the outside. but you must have a plan and know where everything is going before hand. highdesertranger