My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
ok I will bite what is that thing? and Happy Thanksgiving. highdesertranger

It is a 3 gallon fuel cell that will hold a whole bunch of windshield washer fluid for my water/methanol injection system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww you told us too soon !
That's not fair!
I was gonna guess a self destruct......

rvpopeye said:
Aww you told us too soon !
That's not fair!
I was gonna guess a self destruct......

Ok, you are clearly a mind reader! After watching the original Alien movie I was seriously thinking about making a self destruct panel.

It WOULD be a waste of a fine rig but if it's the only way to save the planet..........................

Not quite done, but got a lot of the water/methanol injection system installed.

02de62c9de065d3fa4450c67948553bb.jpg

Figured putting the pump and check valve in the cab would keep them out of the elements.

13262c010d350568dd0ad965d0f9a306.jpg

The dual spray nozzle set up should make the Ambo a happy camper going on up the steep hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Water methanol injection actually works ? And will not damage the engine longevity? Sounds like an interesting experiment.

Baloo, I am assuming you are doing this to keep the exhaust gas temps(EGT) down? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Baloo, I am assuming you are doing this to keep the exhaust gas temps(EGT) down? highdesertranger

Sort of, in true grease monkey fashion, I can not leave well enough alone. It runs great and never breaks 1100 degrees except on the steepest of hills on the hottest of days. That being said, I have added a huge intercooler, adjusted both injector pump timing and rate to get to this point. When talking with some of the old school shops, they all talk about water injection, cleans the carbon, lowers the EGT's, improves mpg. Sounds like a miracle right? After months of research, there appears to be truth to these claims. Since I built my Ambo to be my forever vehicle, I figured if something does all those amazing claims, I have to try it. I went with the smallest nozzles and one of the safest kits I could find. Figured some testing is in order. I will keep you posted on the results.

for sure keep us updated. I am very interested it your data. sure wish you would bring that bad boy to RTR. highdesertranger

For HDR and Baloo primarily; I know my vehicle is not typical here, but here are some of my "numbers" for you guys:

Exhaust temp seldom exceeds 600 deg F.; gauge goes to 1400 (charge air cooler keeps her running cool!): Manifold press has never gone higher than 25 pounds; normally runs around 8; gauge goes to 80 pounds: Engine coolant temps run 210 degs: Engine oil temp runs 140 degs: transmission temp runs 150 degs through the heat exchanger. The Cat is just about ready to turn a million miles!

Baloo: wish I could take as much credit for the heavy duty engine/frame stuff as you can! I am awed by your skill.

speedhighway46 said:
For HDR and Baloo primarily; I know my vehicle is not typical here, but here are some of my "numbers" for you guys:

Exhaust temp seldom exceeds 600 deg F.; gauge goes to 1400 (charge air cooler keeps her running cool!): Manifold press has never gone higher than 25 pounds; normally runs around 8; gauge goes to 80 pounds: Engine coolant temps run 210 degs: Engine oil temp runs 140 degs: transmission temp runs 150 degs through the heat exchanger. The Cat is just about ready to turn a million miles!

Baloo: wish I could take as much credit for the heavy duty engine/frame stuff as you can! I am awed by your skill.

Thanks for noticing me! As far as EGT numbers go, it really depends on where the thermocouple is installed. I would guess that your HDT numbers around 600 degrees means that the probe is after the turbo. I installed mine before the turbo. Once your over 1200 degrees with most engines you need to let off the pedal. The turbo can not take that kind of constant heat. When I first installed my gauge I was shocked at how high the EGT's were. It was over 1400 degrees going down the highway. Of course that was a non-intercooled stock tuned engine. Once I added the intercooler and adjusted the injector pump those numbers dropped by 600 degrees. Obviously the idea is reliable power with a setup to promote engine longevity. I have been on the fence about water/meth for the past year. After checking out a buddies setup, I was ready to take a chance.
The Snow Performance pump injects at 300 psi through atomizing nozzles into the intake pipe after the intercooler. I can set when the pump comes on and when it reaches maximum flow. As well as when the secondary nozzle sprays. The nozzles have check valves in them to prevent any leakage. I am pretty excited to see how this all works out.

LowTech said:
Glad that got explained. I was thinking "600!", damn that's cool. Didn't think about a post turbo mounting.

www.DirtTrackTravelers.com

Yeah, it is pretty common since installing a weld in bung into a down pipe is far easier than drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold. Another to mention the chance for a cast manifold to crack from the hole. The Autometer pyrometer gauge instructions gave options for both pre and post turbo installations. It would seem that anything over 900 degrees on the down pipe is when to be concerned as is anything over 1200 degrees off the manifold.

Keep on experimenting and posting the results. I sure could have used a few of your mods on my '95 7.3 Ford. No charge air cooler or any of those cool things. I put the probe for the pyro in the manifold. I was shocked by how often I had to back off and downshift. The engine had a lot more power potential, even in stock form, but you really had to watch the EGTs. On the other hand, by watching them and also giving it time to cool down before shutting off, I had the original turbo still putting out factory boost or better with well over 200,000 hard working miles on it.

I'm still dreaming of my forever rig, but I suspect it will be something similar to what you've built. Currently dreaming of buying a Forest Service Hot Shot truck but they seem to not be very easy to find. Similar chassis as yours with some pretty good specs.

I will say it took years to settle down on the right "forever rig" truck. I like the freightliner too, but the International had the engine I wanted and I always liked the 4700 look. Could not find one with the transmission I wanted, so I changed it out. It becomes my dream truck one part at a time. It is certainly not my first diesel, so that helped with the decision making process. I had an idea of what I could and could not live with long term. I know that what ever it would be, it would be repairable by me, so technology had to be minimal. Not that I cant fix modern vehicles, just don't want to be stuck because of some sensor that is not available for a week. Finding the right vehicle is a slow process, so never rush it!

Time to replace the CO/LP detector, the old one is acting funny.
Just ordered this bad boy,

a987a1b2bbb72aaad31c2cc09d995514.png

It should let me sleep better at night.

Time to seal up the cab better for the winter! Took all the old rotted body plugs out (lots of holes for different options) and replaced them.

48f9e60e5ace4ff4d64e2df1ede09ee4.jpg

Some good old fashioned brake cleaner,

c3d075e89d1eeccaff24e6427b8ddda7.jpg

Test for the new plugs,

b02036192bee6841d0a4f1af3d4b3bf3.jpg

Seam seal and repeat ten times!

Latest posts