My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baloo said:
Nothing special, got it at Advanced Auto Parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AAP seems to be the AMAZON or WALMART of auto supplies. Liking the convenience for cheap auto supplies. As long as you triple check the quality of what you know you are getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For stuff like sealants, auto parts stores don't bother me. Most truck parts I try to get from the dealer or closed out stock from eBay. Owning a medium duty truck is certainly more expensive than a light duty, so I shop wisely for deals when I can.

Baloo said:
Owning a medium duty truck is certainly more expensive than a light duty, so I shop wisely for deals when I can.
Your parts are usually bigger and heavier though? :p

Ballenxj said:
Your parts are usually bigger and heavier though? :p

In most cases yes, much heavier! Always have to be careful when removing things, because they tend to weigh more than I think they should!

Continues to be one of my favorite threads. Love seeing the updates. And love the idea of the 4x4 conversion. It would be a true earth roaming vehicle, very cool.

Baloo said:
In most cases yes, much heavier! Always have to be careful when removing things, because they tend to weigh more than I think they should!

Reminds me of the first time I pulled an SM465 from a chevy truck. I was used to my little '62 Ranchero trannies. Thought I could just sit on the seat and grab the stick and ease it on back. Almost lost my fingers as it dropped to the ground once it was free. Good thing about those old cast iron transmissions is it was stronger than concrete it landed on. Fortunately age and a few incidents like that have taught me to think things through a bit more before starting a project these days. It's sometimes a wonder us guys survive our teenage and early twenties years.

highdesertranger said:
yeah the SM465's nickname is rock crusher. highdesertranger

So not something you can drop and work on in a field when you break something? Unless you have a forklift and some serious jacks available?

I could do mine in the field because I carry a full size floor jack. never had to do it with the 465. prevented maintenance is the key for not having to do that in the field. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I could do mine in the field because I carry a full size floor jack. never had to do it with the 465. prevented maintenance is the key for not having to do that in the field. highdesertranger

Right so pm on the transmission is

1) fluid changes or examined to make sure they are not looking cooked.
2) screen cleaned and filter.
3). Temperature monitored and nothing weird.
4) magnetic drain plug shows only typical wear tear.
5). Anything that needs adjusting do it.
6). At 300000 miles rebuild it? Speculation.
7). Shifts at all the correct RPM points.

Goshawk said:
Right so pm on the transmission is

1) fluid changes or examined to make sure they are not looking cooked.
2) screen cleaned and filter.
3). Temperature monitored and nothing weird.
4) magnetic drain plug shows only typical wear tear.
5). Anything that needs adjusting do it.
6). At 300000 miles rebuild it? Speculation.
7). Shifts at all the correct RPM points.

I am pretty sure if I shift at the wrong RPM points, it's my fault...

Got two coats of paint on the cab floor to seal it all up. Time to let is all dry up and reinstall the rubber mat and the trim.

cade125d793eac87e183f379b9094c29.jpg

The new carbon monoxide / propane detector came in today too!

afb54a6863c20de1216897cf275449ae.jpg

Yay, more wiring!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't get any better than this!

cc25afa07951469b8fa43c40262f3038.jpg

Thanks! The awning did a good job with keeping the rain off us.

Baloo said:
Thanks! The awning did a good job with keeping the rain off us.

What brand awning/tarp? A camping buddy used to use a big triangular Kelty nylon tarp that worked very well. Covered half his Teardrop TT and the front half of my 3-man dome tent. Had a small table and two camp chairs between them too.

LeeRevell said:
What brand awning/tarp? A camping buddy used to use a big triangular Kelty nylon tarp that worked very well. Covered half his Teardrop TT and the front half of my 3-man dome tent. Had a small table and two camp chairs between them too.

Mine is a modified sun setter awning mounted on the side of the ambo

Latest posts