My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So three and half hours later...

Ok I love to drive, more so than most people. While on my way home from national guard, there was a road closed which forced me to take a 35 mile detour. Let's just say it was worth it. Beautiful day for some country roads I have never been on before.

88db7f03fc8b674e28a15e555b1b32bc.jpg

9f7fb649b3ca6915dd29e2c05e405a69.jpg

45237f9cc141c09243e8f92d440c9c70.jpg

It was a great trip, now back to normal life and more Ambo projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baloo said:
So three and half hours later...

Ok I love to drive, more so than most people. While on my way home from national guard, there was a road closed which forced me to take a 35 mile detour. Let's just say it was worth it. Beautiful day for some country roads I have never been on before.

NICE! Please tell us where your travels lead you geographically speaking?

Ballenxj said:
NICE! Please tell us where your travels lead you geographically speaking?

Mostly around Kentucky, Tennessee and Indiana from time to time.

Ever get to Crawfordville, Indiana? I was born there, and had many family members there til recent years. Been a Floridian since I was two, but we visited every several years.

LeeRevell said:
Ever get to Crawfordville, Indiana? I was born there, and had many family members there til recent years. Been a Floridian since I was two, but we visited every several years.

Can't say that I have been there, I will be heading up towards Greenville for turkey day.

Really just the one on the far right, it's a Goodyear G-177, so far my favorite tire for these trucks. The other two are crap and all sidewall cracked. :)

www.DirtTrackTravelers.com

I would really like to go to military tires, the six lug buds wheel adapters for the M35A2 wheels would fit my truck, then I could run MRAP rims which are surprisingly inexpensive. How much weight can one tire support? I would love to go to a single tire in the rear.

The MRAP rims are usually pretty wide. They would be good if you were wanting to put on some of the surplus 395's (46×14). The G-177 's that I have fit better on the stock rims, 7". Unfortunately there is not a good/cheap/narrow tubeless rim in the surpluses, so I'm still running tubes. :-/
The 177's are rated for 7390 single and are about 43"×7".

LowTech said:
The MRAP rims are usually pretty wide. They would be good if you were wanting to put on some of the surplus 395's (46×14). The G-177 's that I have fit better on the stock rims, 7". Unfortunately there is not a good/cheap/narrow tubeless rim in the surpluses, so I'm still running tubes. :-/
The 177's are rated for 7390 single and are about 43"×7".

Thanks for the info. I still keep looking at pics of those huge cool looking tires. I would love to have a set, but they are pricey. If I had to do it all over again, I would have went with a deuce or a five ton instead of the International chassis. Mostly for the all wheel drive and it would already be green!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baloo said:
Thanks for the info. I still keep looking at pics of those huge cool looking tires. I would love to have a set, but they are pricey. If I had to do it all over again, I would have went with a deuce or a five ton instead of the International chassis. Mostly for the all wheel drive and it would already be green!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Say it's not so!!! Your ambo is so custom and practical. All wheel drive is only as practical as the parts you can get.

Goshawk said:
Say it's not so!!! Your ambo is so custom and practical. All wheel drive is only as practical as the parts you can get.

Thanks, I love the way the Ambo has turned out and it continues to get better. I have always had plans to make it a 4X4. The day will come, not that it is needed, just wanted...

Baloo said:
Thanks, I love the way the Ambo has turned out and it continues to get better. I have always had plans to make it a 4X4. The day will come, not that it is needed, just wanted...

This ambulance being a 4x4 would have a definite COOL factor. It would start to rival those Earth Rovers that cost mega bucks.

I know, to think I start the ambo build over ten years ago! The plans has changed many times during that time. I am very happy that I have been able to use it for what I intended it to be. There are always future plans and 4x4 is one of em.

Wonder what this could be for?

0bbec724daa6ca6bd010e536bc47fe1c.jpg