My 2010 Ford Transit Connect conversion.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TequilaSunSet said:
Big T... brand and where did ya get that bike rack?

Thanks...

It's the ROLA 59400 TX.  I got it off Amazon for $116 and it was delivered super fast..  A lot faster than they said it would.  
It comes in 2-bike, 3-bike and 4-bike models.  
In hindsight I wish I'd ordered the 3-bike model.  Would have given me a little more room to play with.

To be fair to everyone, you need to start your own thread for your own builds and not hijack this one.

Besides we want to enjoy and learn from each of you!!
Bob

akrvbob said:
To be fair to everyone, you need to start your own thread for your own builds and not hijack this one.

I'm confused, I thought this was BigT's build thread? Isn't that what they were talking about?
Hey, I miss stuff all the time, so don't mind me. :s

Ballenxj said:
I'm confused, I thought this was BigT's build thread? Isn't that what they were talking about?
Hey, I miss stuff all the time, so don't mind me. :s

I think Bob is referring to Post #97 where multiple photos of another build were posted.  

I'm all for seeing other project pics, but if too many people start posting photos of their vans, it's going to get messy around here and hard to tell what you're looking at..... especially if all the pics are of Ford TC's.  :-/

Just to keep things straight....  This is my van.  :D

And so as not be confused by the interior photos others have posted.  This is what it looks like on the inside.   :)

Those are curtain rods we can see above windows, right? I must have missed a post if you described how you anchored those?

I have foam/foil inserts for my windows like you do (tho mine are rigid), but was thinking to add curtains using those "Command Strips" to anchor grommeted curtains.

WriterMs said:
Those are curtain rods we can see above windows, right?  I must have missed a post if you described how you anchored those?  

I have foam/foil inserts for my windows like you do (tho mine are rigid), but was thinking to add curtains using those "Command Strips" to anchor grommeted curtains.

Yes, those are curtain rods.  I may have neglected to describe that particular part of the project.  Sorry. 

Keeping with the KISS system, I went with wooden dowels and plastic wire looms to hang them.  
The plastic bits can be found at places like Fry's or Radio Shack, if the latter still exist.  

This picture isn't of the curtain rods, obviously, but it is the same plastic part I used to hang them.  It's just turned sideways in this picture to secure the wires from my solar panel to the rear door jam.  

My Refletix is fastened to the metal around my windows with adhesive-backed Velcro.  
I keep the curtains, though I rarely use them, just in case I want to remove the Reflectix to let a little light in without losing privacy.  

Many thanks for the dowel rod hanging method....I've been scratching my head for a long time on how to accomplish the window curtain rod thingie!

I tried the stiffest wire I could find and it still sags... :mad:

Almost There said:
Many thanks for the dowel rod hanging method....I've been scratching my head for a long time on how to accomplish the window curtain rod thingie!

I tried the stiffest wire I could find and it still sags... :mad:

Here's a more detailed explanation of what I did for the curtains.  

Wanting to keep things simple, like I did with the bunk (using plumbing nipples and floor flanges for the legs), I applied the KISS method with the curtains, going with conduit clamps/hangers and wooden dowels to hang them.  
For the curtains themselves, I went with cheap, black bedsheets I found at the thrift store for $3.00.  
I simply cut slits in the hem at the head of the sheets and slipped the dowels through.  :cool:

The curtains are held out of the way with small strips of two-sided Velcro that are held to the window frame with small, self-tapping sheet metal screws.  
I use small, round magnets to hold the base of the curtains against the metal of the doors (seen in the 4th photo).  

Granted with my Reflectix installed I rarely use the curtains anymore, but there are times when they serve an important use: When the weather is just right and I want to let a little light/air in without having to open the doors and in doing so, letting bugs and prying eyes in, they work great!  It's nice to have options. 

With the side windows, I sometimes like to open my sliding RV/camper windows to let a little fresh air in, requiring removal of the Reflectix to get good air flow.
Since the window glass is tinted, the black sheets make them appear completely black, at least in sunlight.  

You can see two of the round magnets in this photo, just above the curtain rod.  I store them on the various doors, out of the way but easy to find.  

So far so good.  :)

Nice curtain rods... and it helps to have nice flat metal panels to attach them too.
My safari I have a mixture of rounded plastic cladding and odd shaped metal framing... it wasn't easy but I went with some old school adjustable thin metal rods/rails... and inverted them for a tight fit.

Awesome work all the way around on your ride!

TequilaSunSet said:
Awesome work all the way around on your ride!

Thanks, I'm very happy with it!  Now if I could just use it for more than hauling my bike to Golden Gate Park on the weekend and shopping for groceries.  :s

Spreckles Lake, GGP, SF.  

I made a couple of improvements to my solar shower last weekend I thought I'd share, just in case anyone else is putting together a similar system and wants to know what weak points I've discovered along the way.

Well, so far just one weak point....  The Schrader valve I used for pressurizing the tank (see earlier photos of the old valve placement).  
For some (idiotic) reason I mounted it near the middle of the pipe, at the low-end of the tube.  It did pressurize the system, but the rubber-press-fitting which was simply an automotive tire valve stem, always leaked, and because it was below the waterline, it also dripped on the driver's side window.  

Placing the drain valve where I did, just above the window, also resulted in banging my head on the brass valve a few times when getting in and out of the van.  
Extending the length both added capacity and moved the valve forward, past the front door and out of head-striking range. 

So I chopped off the front end, added an additional 1-gallon capacity, a couple extra clamps for support, and bought/installed a brass "tank drain valve" at the high end of the system.  I also put on top of the pipe so there's no way it will be under water.  "Drain Valve" is a misleading name when installed on my shower.   I don't actually drain anything with it, though I could.  I use it to pressurize the tank for better water pressure/flow.  
I have an air release valve on the filler cap for dumping the air.  

Wanting to be able to tell just how much water was left in the system without having to find out "the hard way", I also installed a sight-glass/tube, marking it both when the system went empty and when there was exactly 1 gallon left in the tube.  
The design is simple: A couple of brass 90 degree elbows, a short length of clear rubber tubing, and a couple of hose clamps.  

I'll post more photos when I get the chance.

I just picked up this nifty little bicycle tire pump from my local non-profit bike shop for $10.  I think it will do nicely.   :cool:

My next step is to find a way to mount the shower head above where you see it now and to make my shower curtain mod (I think you'll like it).  :p

Bitty said:
I poured over the pics at the beginning of the thread, but was looking for specs. Thanks for the info! I went to Home Depot today and when I asked for floor flanges they could only point me towards toilet flanges. :p The second person I asked for help (after half an hour of unsuccessful attempts to flag down another person) pointed me towards the flooring department. I finally returned to the van, got my laptop, found it on their website, went back into the store with my laptop and showed the next person the actual page. Finally got somewhere! I brought home an 18" nipple and flange so I can actually feel it and visually wrap my head around it all.

My idea is to try to put a hinge down the middle so that the bed could fold in half for easier storage. I really like that feature of my current folding massage table bed. The ability to remove the legs easily is fantastic!

For the benefit of others, you can also get similar hardware, but much more variety, at Simplified Building.

Baloo said:
Paddle on over to Tennessee, I need a kayaking buddy! Love the van, great setup!

Tennessee is definitely on my list of places I want to visit someday.  I'll be sure to stop by when I do my cross-country trip (whenever the heck that will be!).  

In an earlier posting I mentioned wanting to remove the wide, rear table/kitchen counter and replace it with a single, smaller, hinged table mounted to the left, rear door.  In the end, realizing I'm never going to full-time in this tiny, little van, I decided the wider counter was a better choice.  
It's a great place to use the stove and have ample room left over for the cutting board, bowls, utensils, and misc. cooking stuff. 

While drilling some new mounting holes in it a few months ago, I accidentally broke the plexiglass top.   :(  After removing the broken bits, however, I found that without the plastic sheet on top, it weighted 50% less!  

Now I just need to find something to top it with.  Linoleum perhaps?  Some sort of brushed-on water sealant?  Crap!  I was just at Home Depot today!