Mounting panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobhdus said:
I used these plastic mounting brackets from Amazon. They worked fine. Solar Panel Brackets Black ABS Solar Panel Mounting Brackets 7 Drill-Free Corner Bracket Support Kit for Wood Frame RV Boat Campers Caravans Hood (Corner Bracket,Side Bracket,Cable Entry Gland) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087CM4P97/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_HTD497Z6MBCJ6RBWKXN3?psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How did you mount your panels? I purchased the mounts you mentioned, but they dont come with instructions. They way I picture it, buff the roof to the aluminum where the pieces lay down, alcohol, VHB, mount, then from there I'm not sure; lay in the panel, and drill through the indents in the plastic in to the panel? Any advice greatly appreciated, hoping to do this the last week of June, up in the UP, so gotta have everything I'll need in the van with me. Thanks for all the ideas so far!
Just wanted to say, being able to remove the panels if needed is nice, as well as not drilling in to the van roof. Already have an A/c and Maxxaire, trying not to make more holes.

Klupduck said:
I have a P-30 I'm looking to mount a Renogy 400 watt kit on. My question is, what is the best way to mount the panels on top? Is there a preferred rugged bracket or way that folks have found works best to mount panels on a large, flat topped vehicle, safely and securely? Thanks for any advice.

Since the truck is now 10.5ft and we use it primarily off grid, BLM I built 1/4 steel side tree limb guard/mounts, Bouge RV aluminum solar brackets, stainless hardware with 3M VHB tape in between. Bought the 400w Trina panels from San Tan Solar. The tracked, slide out panels will be underneath what you see and roll rearward to provide the shade over the fold down deck.

Attachments

• top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • top3.jpg
    top3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Follow the instructions for the VHB tape exactly. Do not deviate. If your aluminum is oxidized I would clean it up.

Drilling holes in the sides of your panels will void the warranty.

Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Follow the instructions for the VHB tape exactly.  Do not deviate.  If your aluminum is oxidized I would clean it up.

Drilling holes in the sides of your panels will void the warranty.

Highdesertranger
Thank you, I plan on it. I know VHB isn't your preference, but would it work on the ABS mounts instead of screwing into the panels? The aluminum is in great shape, but it is white, so I plan on using a wire brush to get to bare metal, then follow instructions exactly.