More Potty issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desertthorn

Reaction score
I am wondering why a person just couldn't use their RV toilet as a composting one.  There is a new composting toilet that requires no plumbing and I was really impressed with it, (id post a link but you know how that goes) and it separated the liquid from the solid, but the solid just went into bags that were tied off and disposed of after a few uses.  So couldnt someone just use their regular RV toilet the same way, having the liquid drain into the black water tank but collecting the solid in a kitty litter bag?

I don't know why it wouldn't work but wonder why go through the trouble as you have to dump the tank anyway. You might save a day or two between dumps is all.

I actually did this in my fifth wheel, parked in an RV park with full hookups for four years as my home base while I roamed around in my vans.

The reason was to keep the tank indicator lights working and to save on water from rinsing tanks.  After two years of "normal" use, the indicator lights quit working.  I hired a company to come out and flush all tanks and was amazed at how bad they were, even though the black tank had an in-tank rinser and I would let it run for 15 mins each dump.

I would line the toilet with a plastic bag for solid waste.  I had a dog at the time and when we walked, I would pick up after her (as we were all required to do) and place the bags in a garbage bag lined trash can with a cover on my site.  My own bag would join hers and every few days it would go to the dumpster along with other household trash.

Worked fine for me and I never had a sewer problem like some others had with blocked dump valves.

My sensors not working had to do with toilet paper shorting them out. I have not had a problem since I stopped putting the paper in the tank. I don't think it matters what kind of paper you use, it seems to clog them. Now I get to use Charman (no affiliation).

yeah a lot of people do it that way, but that is not really a compositing toilet. highdesertranger

Thanks so much. We boondock and I was thinking it would let me go longer without having to find a dump.

Latest posts