Separett Toilets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
I noticed Separett toilets, which have as perhaps the name implies separation of #1 from #2. Unlike other composting toilets it doesn't have a container for the #1 but a tube you route to a holding tank such as a grey-water tank underneath the vehicle. This could then be disposed of at an RV dump station.

Also, unlike other Composting toilets there is no mixing of other material such as sawdust, etc. with the #2. It is deposited into a container lined with a disposable plastic bag and seems to depend upon considerable ventilation to dry out (and compost?) the mixture. Since I wouldn't be in all likelyhood actually composting the contents to the point of being usable as compost, and instead disposing of it in a bag in the trash anyway, this seems like a reasonable system.

Of course the proof is in the pudding (sorry) Does anyone here have any real-life experience with the Separret toilets?

I wasn’t familiar with this brand so I looked it up. Looks to me like they’re for stationary sticks and bricks places and most of them plumbed in with water. I have a homemade potty cabinet that is seat height so I can get up and down easier. There’s a funnel in the front that sends number one to a container below the shelf and a bucket with a bag for number two that’s back where the number two happens. Nothing fancy but it works. It is true when you mix them together you get more of an odor management problem then when you keep them separate. I normally dispose of the number to bag in the dumpster and the number one under A tree in the forest. If I’m not camping in the forest I have two containers I can use that give me a capacity of 3 gallons of P. I Save it up till I get to a place where it’s appropriate to dump it. I often dump my P container in a public toilet somewhere especially where it’s a little private nobody sees me carry in a container in. I really feel I’m doing better for the environment even though I have to dump some P outside somewhere because I’m saving a heck of a lot of water. I hate wasting 1 to 3 gallons of water just to take a P. I think dumping it at appropriate places in the forest is much more environmentally friendly than flushing it.

I just installed a Separett urine divider and seat into my van. I made my own composting toilet with it. Ran the urine funnel right into a bottle instead of using the hose. It's very high quality. Only complaint is that I wish it was less expensive.

I've used a Separett composting toilet in my van for the last 3 years. So here's the good and the bad. It's mostly good though.

The Good: It pretty much looks and acts like a regular toilet. I have a gray water tank so it drains to that. I don't have to worry about emptying a bottle of urine all the time like the other toilets. There is no mixing of anything inside the bucket part. No churning no nothing. It's pretty much a bucket with a bag in it. It is super easy to empty. The top half opens up and you pull the bag out an get rid of the evidence.

The Bad: Like I said. Not too bad but things to think about. I don't know if it will be different with a different composting toilet but if there is stuff in the solids side it really does not smell. Unless,,, you drive with the windows open or have a Maxair fan on high. It can overcome the fan built into the toilet and you might be smelling things you would rather not. The other thing that I noticed over time was that the bucket that comes with it starts to hold some smells over time. Nothing I did to clean or disinfect the bucket helped. Also to note I have about 3 bags tripled up to kind of insulate it from that but it doesn't really help. I ended up ditching the bucket and buying a slightly smaller bucket at Walmart and that actually works better. I also might try a stainless pot because I think it will not hold any odors. The last negative is the thing is kind of expensive. The only other thing I can think of is that its a little bigger than the other ones on the market. Not a deal breaker for me, just something I've noticed.

My opinion: I'm pretty happy with it and it works great. Most people that use it wouldn't even know its a composting toilet. I like that I don't have to empty a bottle and it is super easy to get rid of the solids and I don't have to mix up Peet moss or something similar to put inside. I will say that I pretty much use it as a one and done sort of thing. The solids bag gets tossed pretty soon after use so there's usually never anything in it. I also do put some kitty litter in to help out. But if I don't use litter or anything it still works the same. For the liquids side I usually pour a little water in after each use to wash things down and not have any scale build up in my drain lines. Probably not as necessary but I do it out of habit to make sure.

Mine is in High Roof Ford Transit build. I built a wet bath starting with an RV shower pan as my floor. I found a teak insert that fits in the pan and the toilet sits on that. I don't shower much in the van but when I do the water runs right off the toilet and through the teak insert and down the drain. The teak insert works great so that I don't have to worry about water getting under and getting moldy.

Final thoughts: If I were to do a build again (which I won't) I would use the Separett again. Ive been very happy with it and have never regretted building a bathroom in the van. And as far as the build went I had room for either a bathroom or a small dinette so I had a place to either eat or work. In the end I opted for the bathroom and have had no regrets Especially during Covid when the gyms were closed and I had to shower in the van for the last year.

Last final thought: For all my drain lines (sink, shower and toilet) I use the Hepvo waterless traps. You don't need a P Trap and they work incredibly well. This isn't just directed at the toilet but for any drains going into a gray water tank. I can't say enough about how well these things work.

Thanks for the review. Like most composting toilets it seems like the ventilation is the key to controlling odor.

Have to agree, the Seperett works well. Been using one, a 9200 series for a cabin we built 2 years ago. The only difference to the motorhome, boat version is we installed the optional long drop pipe model which allows the solid waste to be stored (and emptied) from outside (from under the floor)
And yes, like anything composting ventilation is key.

It seems that the #2 deposits pile up on top of each other. It doesn't indicate there is any mechanism to distribute, or mix,  just pile up and dry out I guess? 

How long before you need to bag it up and dispose of it?

Is it just a matter of pulling the full bag out and replacing it with a new bag?

Not sure whether this would apply to a Separett, but -

I use Double Doodie bags in my Luggable Loo. Believe me, you learn pretty fast when it's time to change the bag - the bags are supposed to be single use, but I'm sure most users are like me, and use them more than once. After use, I also usually "bang" the Loo on the floor twice or so to settle the contents.

If you can use the Double Doodie bags with a Separett, I recommend them. Very sturdy and easy to deal with.

GoingMobile said:
It seems that the #2 deposits pile up on top of each other. It doesn't indicate there is any mechanism to distribute, or mix,  just pile up and dry out I guess? 

How long before you need to bag it up and dispose of it?

Is it just a matter of pulling the full bag out and replacing it with a new bag?
The long drop version has a larger diameter pipe and airflow is force down over to dry the waste quicker making it tumble off the pile so to speak.
(sorta self spreads in the drum) 
There are 2 bagged drums which come with this system which interchange. One sits before composting while the other is in operation, the bags are removed and can be addded to another household compost or spread around non eatable plants.