Money with arts and crafts?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konaexpress

Reaction score
Reading the posts on here, I get the idea that a lot of dwellers are retired or close to it and living of some form of retirement/government income. Well God bless you and I hope to get there someday too. :D

What I was wondering is how many of you make extra money from selling arts and crafts or reselling things? I now a few local people that do this and they make good money from it. Not a fortune mind you but enough to make it worth their time.

Need to cut this short as the editor is sloooowwww! Will have to switch back to the laptop.

John

.....but anyway, I was reading a post by someone who was thinking of making a knife business. i think that one would be tough as you need a small workshop for it but reselling knives might work from a portable roadside stand. If I see a sign that said knives, I will pull over for sure just to see what they have. I see people selling bags of oranges to boxes of cherries when its that time of year, every year.

Just wondering if I need to develop a new skill.........

John

I'm one of those living off a fixed income ie: retired.
Hey , every bit helps....do what you can.

With the solar the trailer is a rolling power station that cost nothing to operate. Since our bank last days and it takes one to recharge, in between the solar could be making money keeping others charged up. Each rented portable is good for a few hundred Ah a day but I could roll up with the main system and in a day recharge a huge bank that would keep someone going for a week.

ahhh pipe dreams. lol

jimindenver said:
With the solar the trailer is a rolling power station that cost nothing to operate. Since our bank last days and it takes one to recharge, in between the solar could be making money keeping others charged up. Each rented portable is good for a few hundred Ah a day but I could roll up with the main system and in a day recharge a huge bank that would keep someone going for a week.

ahhh pipe dreams. lol

With a rig like that, I wonder if you could go to events and charge phones and cameras? Like you see in airports?

Or give classes on solar.....

John

Since we are both in our 50's and not of retirement age, we sell all over the place for our income full time. We meet a lot of retirees that supplement their incomes by vending. Try the swap meets, flea markets, craft fairs, and outdoor events. Some you can find by doing a search online, and some you can find by asking other vendors where else you can sell in your area. I don't know the size of your rig, but if you craft something that is small, you can carry a whole lot more inventory with you, then set up and sell your wares. Each venue has it's own "hoops" to jump through, some more stringent than others. Take a walk through a venue near you, see what other people sell, and chat it up with a few sellers. Some will be willing to help you, some will be guarded because they don't want the competition. You can always buy a few things wholesale, such as watches, and test the waters with that product. Never invest more than a hundred bucks on anything you test market. There are a lot of friendly and helpful vendors out here, and we've made some really nice friends along the way.  :)

Konaexpress said:

My thinking is that it will always be easier ?(in terms of mobile living) for me to sell a service rather than a product. Basic reasoning being down lines of inventory production, storage and display. I've worked residential construction for a long time, and I figure that once I get hands-on experience building my conversion, it won't be much of a stretch to convert to RV-handyman type work.

Its funny, but in the past 6 months I have learned more about solar than most people ever will (general populace). I'm a bit of a slow learner on things like that and finally working through my first build will really be a good experience. But once I learn something, I'm very good at teaching it to others. Probably because I like to explore all the incorrect ways to go about a thing first ;)

I guess my point being that while I do have a lifetime of experience in some areas, I see no reason I can't expand on my repertoire in the years to come...

DesertDweller said:
Since we are both in our 50's and not of retirement age, we sell all over the place for our income full time. We meet a lot of retirees that supplement their incomes by vending. Try the swap meets, flea markets, craft fairs, and outdoor events. Some you can find by doing a search online, and some you can find by asking other vendors where else you can sell in your area. I don't know the size of your rig, but if you craft something that is small, you can carry a whole lot more inventory with you, then set up and sell your wares. Each venue has it's own "hoops" to jump through, some more stringent than others. Take a walk through a venue near you, see what other people sell, and chat it up with a few sellers. Some will be willing to help you, some will be guarded because they don't want the competition. You can always buy a few things wholesale, such as watches, and test the waters with that product. Never invest more than a hundred bucks on anything you test market. There are a lot of friendly and helpful vendors out here, and we've made some really nice friends along the way.  :)

Really wish you would expand on this.

John

I SEW...I STARTED LEARNING TO SEW ON BUTTONS WHEN I WAS 3yrs AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT MY GRANDMOTHER SAID WHILE SHOWING THE FLANNEL AND BIG BUTTONS SEWN EVERY WHICH A WAY.  I DO SIMPLE ALTERATIONS, MAKE CURTAINS, APRONS, LADIES MUU MUU'S.  I ALSO RE-PURPOSE CLOTHING AND USE FANCY WORK FROM ONE ITEM TO DECORATE ANOTHER....FOR EXAMPLE I HAVE SEVERAL PANELS OF EXPENSIVE LINED COLORFUL DRAPES,  ENOUGH TO ALTER AND MAKE ALL THE CURTAINS, & FRONT AND REAR PANELS FOR A VAN WHEN I'M READY FOR THEM.  I ALSO PATCH AND REPAIR CLOTHING.   I PICKED UP 2 NICE METAL FRAMED PATIO CHAIRS ON A "ROADSIDE SHOPPING" TRIP THE OTHER DAY...THE NEW SEATS AND BACKS WILL BE WOVEN FROM STRIPS OF OLD BLUE JEANS  & THE SAME TRIP PROVIDED ENOUGH USABLE 2X4's TO BUILD NEW SIDEBOARDS ON MY RANGER TO REPLACE THE ONE MY SUPER STRONG SON BROKE WHILE HELPING SECURE A LOAD AT THE FLEA MARKET......MY SEWING MACHINE & EQUIPMENT WILL TRAVEL WITH ME ON MY NEW ADVENTURESOME  ROLLING LIFE    :)      HAPPY TRAILS                                                                             JEWELLANN

Konaexpress said:
Really wish you would expand on this.

John

Sure, what would you like to know about it? I'd be happy to discuss it at more length. Ask away  :)

Konaexpress said:
With a rig like that, I wonder if you could go to events and charge phones and cameras? Like you see in airports?

John

Interesting thought.  I wonder what a phone or laptop charge is worth. The portables could be turned into charging stations, a extension cord off the trailer could power a charging tent.

jimindenver said:
Interesting thought.  I wonder what a phone or laptop charge is worth. The portables could be turned into charging stations, a extension cord off the trailer could power a charging tent.

Yep!

BradKW said:
My thinking is that it will always be easier ?(in terms of mobile living) for me to sell a service rather than a product. Basic reasoning being down lines of inventory production, storage and display. I've worked residential construction for a long time, and I figure that once I get hands-on experience building my conversion, it won't be much of a stretch to convert to RV-handyman type work.

Interesting, I've spent years selling services and hard goods. In my opinion, if you can sell a service, I can teach you how to sell hard goods with no problem. You look to be an intelligent guy so do both. Up to you.....heck! Sell someone else goods for a wage or percentage.

John

DesertDweller said:
Sure, what would you like to know about it? I'd be happy to discuss it at more length. Ask away  :)

Thanks for the reply!

Are many RVers doing this or is it mostly from home or is it a bit of both? I know it's hard to say but what items are most in demand and what kind of things make the most profit? What are things to stay away from? Hand made or wholesale?

I know there are guys on instagram that make and sell hand crafted pipes from $150 to $350 a pop and they sell them as fast as they can make them. Ran into a lady that makes cat toys and sells the heck out of them up around Portland Or. I personally know a guy that makes wood wishing wells and sells them on the road side. He sells them for $250 to $350 and they sell very well but I would think you need a bit of room for them. On the lower end of things, one of my favorite hip knives cost about $8 bucks. If I could ever find that guy again, I would buy a couple more.

What have been your observations in this field so far? I have read all the 101 things to make money out on the internet that have been rehashed by blogger after blogger that have no clue about sales. Most of it is garbage but some things can be done if its only part time and your livelihood does not depend on it.

John

I do see several RVers selling at the swap meets. They pull up, put tents along side their rigs, set up tables, and sell all day. I personally started selling online, and did so for 13 years. I don't ask other sellers their sales level, as it would be rude to ask, and they certainly wouldn't tell you if you did ask. I do know, however, that many are out there every single weekend, so they must be doing well enough to continue selling. 

As far as "what sells" and "what doesn't", that is up to each individual seller to determine. I can give you a few pointers in regards to this. Pick items that are unique, something you may have created yourself, or something that is useful. Knicknacks are a fairly bygone seller, but there are exceptions. Test marketing your products is a must. As you can already see, the guy who handcrafts the pipes, or the lady who sells cat toys have the right idea. No one can teach you "what" to sell, they can only teach you "how" to sell. 

We tested several products at one time, to see what sold the fastest, and what had the most interest. Then, we narrowed it down. We then "got rid of" the items that sold the slowest by selling them at our wholesale cost. After that, we only invested in proven sellers, and elaborated on that niche.

I used to make my ENTIRE income on Amazon. I also sold on Ebay. Amazon wins, hands down for being a regular "cash cow". Read all the rules on Amazon, and stick to them to the letter. If you get tossed from Amazon, you cannot get back on to sell there. Ebay doesn't have the reputation that Amazon does, thus the reason there is much more sell through there. 

I've always appreciated the freedom that comes with working for myself. No 9 to 5, I work when I want and where I want, and I can determine my income based on how much I want to put into it. So many bloggers don't have a clue, I agree. That's because they haven't actually done it. I haven't held a "real" job in 5 1/2 years, and my income is solely what I make by vending.

Tjaybird said:
I SEW...I STARTED LEARNING TO SEW ON BUTTONS WHEN I WAS 3yrs AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT MY GRANDMOTHER SAID WHILE SHOWING THE FLANNEL AND BIG BUTTONS SEWN EVERY WHICH A WAY.  I DO SIMPLE ALTERATIONS, MAKE CURTAINS, APRONS, LADIES MUU MUU'S.  I ALSO RE-PURPOSE CLOTHING AND USE FANCY WORK FROM ONE ITEM TO DECORATE ANOTHER....FOR EXAMPLE I HAVE SEVERAL PANELS OF EXPENSIVE LINED COLORFUL DRAPES,  ENOUGH TO ALTER AND MAKE ALL THE CURTAINS, & FRONT AND REAR PANELS FOR A VAN WHEN I'M READY FOR THEM.  I ALSO PATCH AND REPAIR CLOTHING.   I PICKED UP 2 NICE METAL FRAMED PATIO CHAIRS ON A "ROADSIDE SHOPPING" TRIP THE OTHER DAY...THE NEW SEATS AND BACKS WILL BE WOVEN FROM STRIPS OF OLD BLUE JEANS  & THE SAME TRIP PROVIDED ENOUGH USABLE 2X4's TO BUILD NEW SIDEBOARDS ON MY RANGER TO REPLACE THE ONE MY SUPER STRONG SON BROKE WHILE HELPING SECURE A LOAD AT THE FLEA MARKET......MY SEWING MACHINE & EQUIPMENT WILL TRAVEL WITH ME ON MY NEW ADVENTURESOME  ROLLING LIFE    :)      HAPPY TRAILS                                                                             JEWELLANN
Me too!  This is what I plan to do.... sew on the road.  I can do more indutrial & home/RV dec stuff for people I might meet, but in-between I can make smaller garments.