Mobile Lifestyle as a Choice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
I keep having to explain to people that I'm NOT camping, that I have chosen to live a mobile lifestyle and that I make my HOME in a vehicle that I have and am adapting to full time living wherever I choose to stop.  

There seems to be little comprehension in the general public that you can have a PERMANENT home on wheels.  Nomads seem to have been lost in the mists of history!

Corky 

When I used to tell people we would meet at different campgrounds that we camp 6 months of the year, I think the majority of them heard "homeless"...lol. Now when we are out and about, we don't get into much detail, just that we camp as much as possible.

It seems to be marginally more acceptable when your tags show you as a snowbird.

If your vehicle is tagged out of the same state as you're staying in, particularly if it's a southern one, then you start to get funny looks and questions.

I tend to use the term that I'm a fulltimer. Many people know the term, and there is nothing derogatory about it.

If they press further, I explain that I live in my camper van, traveling and seeing the sights in our great country while my health still allows me to do so, working along the way to support my travels. (I still tell people this, even though I am mostly retired now.)

This immediately gets you away from the homeless, drop out, deadbeat, mentality and elevates you to adventurer, and someone to be admired, maybe even jealous of.

For some reason people seem to love to see the inside of my camper van, and I readily show it to them, and the fact that it is fully self contained and never needs to be plugged into electricity. They usually walk away in awe, and perhaps start formulating their own dreams to do something similar.

Many say that my van would be to small for them, but a motorhome would work, and I encourage them, explaining that too many people work their whole lives, planning on traveling after they retire, only to find that their health will no longer permit it, and none of us are getting any younger.

I rarely talk about doing it to save money, other than you can save a fortune on motel bills and park in the most beautiful places that you don't get with motels. I tell people of the beautiful places you can visit, and stay as long as you want.

If you put it in the right upbeat light, it removes all of the negative stigma associated with van dwellers.

One thing I've learned from being "homeless" is that the whole world becomes your home! It's really changed my whole outlook on life, when I see "no trespassing" and "keep out" signs and fences and boundaries and divisions I feel both sad and lucky at the same time. So much fear, ownership, greed, the illusion of "safety". Also a lot of disrespect (littering, mining, clear cutting etc..) Whenever I see a no trespassing sign, I imagine a welcome sign in it's place and think about what a different world this could be.

The whole notion of owning land is starting to feel odd. I feel such a basic human right to have access to the earth, our planet, being told where and when I can do this feels unjust at times. I guess I'm becoming entitled to simply live wherever I may be.

marigold said:
Whenever I see a no trespassing sign, I imagine a welcome sign in it's place and think about what a different world this could be.
The whole notion of owning land is starting to feel odd. I feel such a basic human right to have access to the earth, our planet, being told where and when I can do this feels unjust at times.

any regular surfer can relate to your sentiments. the sad truth

marigold
"The whole notion of owning land is starting to feel odd. I feel such a basic human right to have access to the earth, our planet, being told where and when I can do this feels unjust at times. I guess I'm becoming entitled to simply live wherever I may be."

You're starting to sound indigenous &/or like a hippie. ;) How can you own anything, really.

I'm just going to say, "I live out my mobile office so I can meet and network with my clients nationwide." Because (A) that will be the truth, and (B) it actually sounds pretty cool.

I was talking to another business owner about my plans to to expand my business in this manner and he thought it was the most creative self-promotion strategy he'd ever heard from a freelancer.

But of course, I don't HAVE to explain anything to anybody. :p

People are always asking me, friends of mine even "when are you gonna get a house" You need a house" "That van is too small"..etc. I also get treated poorly by strangers sometimes because so many nefarious drug addicts also live mobile here, I get lumped even though anyone who has ever met me would say I am obviously not a junkie. Often it represents itself in a way that causes me a lot of peace and quiet since nobody in normal society wants to talk to anyone who lives in a van. I don't mind being ignored thus left alone, I am rather fond of the phenomenon. It is when people are jerks and they wont leave you alone that bothers me.

For instance, one very strange thing I have also noticed...the fancy people in the expensive houses around here like to throw away their trash in front of my van or in my bike basket...last night I woke up to find dog feces in a bag next to my LP tank in my bike basket...very rude. Now keep in mind, I don't park near any houses, I am respectful of that, I park near the industrial park and the grocery stores, but the industrial park is between the bars and restaurants and the neighborhoods, so walking through they use it as a time to take out their hate(and yes a lot of people have van-dwellers) while drunk on $10 beers. I know this person must've been fairly affluent due to the pricey poopy bags they used to vandalize me. I usually get late night trash such as food containers and craft beer bottles($6-12 a bottle), they leave shopping carts outside my doors(once heard them laughing as they did it said they were pulling a "hobo") one guy even gathered a bunch of trash that a few gutter drunks had left behind his store...for whatever reason he blamed me and dumped an entire industrial trash bad out two feet from my open van doors...something he later wished he hadn't done. I had been parked for 12 hours and one guy came up and handed my wife a threatening note, then accused her of "sh***ng" in the bushes(NOT TRUE!) then he berated us for not having jobs which is also not true. She works 4-5 days a week as a nanny for two 8 year old girls and a wealthy family who needs their chores done once a week. I work as much as I can doing boat work, pullouts, re-paints, lots of sanding...this comment came on the heels of a million dollar sailboat restore I had spend 6 months working on 6-7 days a week. I worked 17 days in a row last summer in the hottest weather we had, full time, hard work...sometimes alone on Sundays in a giant tent that acted like a solar oven, temps were 120 in there daily. So I got out and explained a few things to him, I don't usually do anything but he was so far from polite, especially accusing my wife of befouling the bushes... I had to explain to him and many others that this is a choice and I like it, so get over it already.

He still didn't agree/understand...instead he just said "You're a liar." and walked away with what seemed like a mixture of smugness and fear...I wasn't sure...I do know he did not want any more interaction with the 6'2'' 280lb man who he had just come to his door and gravely disrespected both him and his wife.

NWShortyFord said:
He still didn't agree/understand...instead he just said "You're a liar." and walked away with what seemed like a mixture of smugness and fear...I wasn't sure...I do know he did not want any more interaction with the 6'2'' 280lb man who he had just come to his door and gravely disrespected both him and his wife.

This does not help our cause.  It just perpetuates the misconception that van dwellers are problematic, and potentially dangerous.

People are obviously telling you that they would like you to move, and therefore you should.

Where you park has a lot to do with how you're going to be treated.  I have a severe dislike for commercial/industrial areas.  If it isn't cops/security, it's drunks and/or disrespectful homeless people, frequently on drugs, so it's no wonder that you get lumped in with them.

I'm not familiar with the exact area you're in, but I do sometimes spend time up there.  I park near large apartment complexes, on the street, along with all of the other overflow parking from the apartments.  Never have any problems.

Unlike what many report, I'll stay at the same place for as long as I'm in an area, often a couple weeks to a month.  If you're actually living in that area, I don't know how long is okay before relocating, but there are so many of these types of apartment areas all over the country, that I never have any trouble finding one.  I can usually find multiple choices within a mile of the area I want to be in.

Around these apartment complexes, it's a whole different mentality.  Safe, friendly, and usually non judgmental.  It gets you away from that homeless, druggie, atmosphere and attitude.

On the rare occasion that I either get asked to move, or someone's actions indicate that they'd like me to move, I do, simple as that.  I never confront anybody, unless I catch someone trying to break in to my van, or otherwise causing problems in the neighborhood I'm in.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
This does not help our cause.  It just perpetuates the misconception that van dwellers are problematic, and potentially dangerous.

People are obviously telling you that they would like you to move, and therefore you should.

Where you park has a lot to do with how you're going to be treated.  I have a severe dislike for commercial/industrial areas.  If it isn't cops/security, it's drunks and/or disrespectful homeless people, frequently on drugs, so it's no wonder that you get lumped in with them.

I'm not familiar with the exact area you're in, but I do sometimes spend time up there.  I park near large apartment complexes, on the street, along with all of the other overflow parking from the apartments.  Never have any problems.

Unlike what many report, I'll stay at the same place for as long as I'm in an area, often a couple weeks to a month.  If you're actually living in that area, I don't know how long is okay before relocating, but there are so many of these types of apartment areas all over the country, that I never have any trouble finding one.  I can usually find multiple choices within a mile of the area I want to be in.

Around these apartment complexes, it's a whole different mentality.  Safe, friendly, and usually non judgmental.  It gets you away from that homeless, druggie, atmosphere and attitude.

On the rare occasion that I either get asked to move, or someone's actions indicate that they'd like me to move, I do, simple as that.  I never confront anybody, unless I catch someone trying to break in to my van, or otherwise causing problems in the neighborhood I'm in.

Normally I move, as I did in this case, but you weren't there. I have lived here for 3 years and KNOW the law. I had parked for 12 hours. Seriously. You don't live here and you don't know what is really going in my neighborhood. Why don't you actually move here and try it out for yourself and then tell me I am wrong. I did NOT break the law, I was in front NOBODY'S house, I was parking with 15 winnebagos that were also within compliance of the law, all in the industrial park! This dude came all the way out from his neighborhood to cause trouble with me and 10 other people, in a place to police tell us to park.

I park where the Police like me to park, they like me a lot. You don't know what you are talking about. Period. But hey, what do I expect form an opinionated individual form somewhere else...I was there 12 hours and you park places for month and judge me.

That guy went out of his way to confronted US for doing nothing wrong. I was lumped in with "them" before he even met me. He though It was just my girl living alone 'cause I was in the back. Thought it would be fun to harass some innocent young lady. I need to park where I park due to work, I can't move all over the state. Didn't you hear me?

Sorry I am once again speechless that a fellow van-dweller would seriously defend these people. Why is the internet full of people who seem to know everything even though they are a thousand miles away and have no idea what the $%@# you are talking about or what they are talking about? I'm seriously offended. Seriously.

Remember the "threatening note" part. That is against the law, had I called the cops immediately and not later, which maybe I should have done he would at very least been on probation if not a week in jail. You aren't allowed to do that. And the dog feces thing according to the Police is Malicious Mischief, a FELONY. I follow the law and the moral code my father passed down to me, i.e. never lie, cheat or steal.

[[/quote] I'm not familiar with the exact area you're in. Unlike what many report, I'll stay at the same place for as long as I'm in an area, often a couple weeks to a month.  If you're actually living in that area, I don't know how long is okay before relocating, but there are so many of these types of apartment areas all over the country, that I never have any trouble finding one.  I can usually find multiple choices within a mile of the area I want to be in.

[[/quote][/b]Around these apartment complexes, it's a whole different mentality[/b].  Safe, friendly, and usually non judgmental.  It gets you away from that homeless, druggie, atmosphere and attitude.[/quote]

You're right, you are not familiar with my area. I can tell. Those complexes don't exist here the way you think. You must stay south of sea-tac or north in Shoreline. Here in real Seattle, that is a fantasy. I've lived other places and done what you've done, but I still understand that I don't know everything.

And to the BOLD part...are you kidding me? That is your answer? Seriously, no druggies near the apts...let the people know....THERE ARE DUGS EVERYWHERE IN SEATTLE..EVERYWHERE, you can't get away. You obviously don't spend the right kind of time here if you don't know that. Heroin IS back...it sucks. Deal with it.

NWShortyFord said:
I park where the Police like me to park, they like me a lot.  You don't know what you are talking about. Period.  But hey, what do I expect form an opinionated individual form somewhere else...I was there 12 hours and you park places for month and judge me.

I'm not trying to judge you.  I spend time in your area almost every year, so I am familiar with it.

You missed the whole point of my post.  It isn't about whether or not it's legal.  You said that you went and confronted someone.  This is what I'm challenging you on.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and honey attracts a lot more flies than vinegar.  Likewise, having a hostile attitude doesn't tend to solve problems.  I just believe that a cordial and friendly discussion will yield far better results than confrontations.

If you're not a part of the problem, once people get to know who you are and what you're about, you become less of a threat to them.  You remove the homeless or criminal picture that they may have had in their minds.

You mentioned that you're parked with 15 Winnebago's, so you are likely getting lumped in with their actions or shenanigans.  Somebody probably is pooping in the bushes, and if they are, that is a legitimate concern.

All I'm trying to say is that you need to distance yourself from that situation, and maybe be the nice guy that shows the trouble maker that you have your own toilet, and don't condone such actions by others either, and that you try hard to be a good neighbor.

PEACE!

NWShortyFord wrote:

You're right, you are not familiar with my area.  I can tell.  Those complexes don't exist here the way you think.  You must stay south of sea-tac or north in Shoreline.  Here in real Seattle, that is a fantasy.  I've lived other places and done what you've done, but I still understand that I don't know everything.

And to the BOLD part...are you kidding me?  That is your answer?  Seriously, no druggies near the apts...let the people know....THERE ARE DUGS EVERYWHERE IN SEATTLE..EVERYWHERE, you can't get away.  You obviously don't spend the right kind of time here if you don't know that.  Heroin IS back...it sucks.  Deal with it.
[/quote]

Sorry friend, you're wrong.  I'm usually somewhere between Woodland Park Zoo to the North, and Boeing Field to the South, and there are TONS of the types of places I prefer to park.

You posted many replies evidently while I was working on my last reply. I didn't see your post about being lumped in with others until after I had finished my reply about the same thing.

The dogs are my friends, and I keep treats for them.  It is a great ice breaker with the neighbors, and they figure if their dog likes you, you must be okay.

How far are you from Aurora Ave?  I find many good places to park within maybe a mile or so off of Aurora.

Sometimes at some of the convenience stores you can pick up a free apartment guide, which can be useful for finding good spots.

I'm only wishing you well my friend, and trying to help you find a more friendly place.  Hostile environments aren't good for anyone.

NWShortyFord,
I'm curious. Do the people in all of the other RVs get harassed equally, or do people have specific issues with you personally?
What are the people like in these other RVs? Are they normal van dwellers or are they homeless drug users and vagrants?