Mobile Lifestyle as a Choice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShortyFord - I'm w/ you on this one. It's about people treating people like people. It shouldn't matter that we're "landless" and choose to live in a box w/ wheels under it instead of a concrete slab. It also shouldn't matter what we wear or how we style our hair ;). If, and when, I (or my family) is disrespected in that manner I will respond to it in a way prob not that dif from how you did. I think it's called standing up for your rights.
I tried the pacifistic thing when I was younger in the southeast, . . . you can only get beat down so many times before you decide it doesn't work.  :)

It's sad but people do judge you by what you drive/what you wear/how you look. I used to over tip at restaurants just to prove to people that you can't judge a book by its cover. Now if I get judged by what I look like or what I wear the tip gets prorated accordingly. I am a 25% tipper on a bad day and tip very well for good service. But disrespect me anymore and you get next to nothing. And if they ask I tell them.

Almost There said:
It seems to be marginally more acceptable when your tags show you as a snowbird.

If your vehicle is tagged out of the same state as you're staying in, particularly if it's a southern one, then you start to get funny looks and questions.

I would have to agree that in-state plates, especially Az when you are in Az, brings questions while nobody here even looks twice at the many Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Minnesota, Colorado , Utah or the Dakotas that are here from September through May. That's why I will drop my Az plates and change my residency to S Dakota as soon as I quit working.

Regards

The only questions I would get about my plates was when I crossed the CA ag inspection checkpoint.

On the other hand, I would use plates as a great conversation starter.

Evening everyone!

Having been in the missionary field for over forty years, we've lived in many places all over the world.  (By the time we were fifty, we'd lived in sixty -four places, some for a few months and some for a year or two.)  We're familiar with many states, but haven't traveled in an RV in more than a couple, which is why my/our posts will be few for the next month or so, while we catch up on reading and learning from all you veteran Americans.  (We live in the Coastal Mountains in BC, Canada where we rent a cabin on a friend's land.  We used to own a larger cabin within shouting distance of the one we now rent, but we couldn't keep it up while traveling as much as we do, so this arrangement is much better.)

Since we work with churches and other outreach organizations for six months of the year, we don't have to concern ourselves with having a place to stay for the week that we are with each church/org., but during the other six months, we're in the same boat as the rest of you.

We find that having a nice business card with your picture on it, and maybe a link to a website, if you have one, helps a lot.  Tell people you meet who seem curious/suspicious that you're a writer doing research in the area (and keep a travel journal so you're always telling the truth), and then ask the person or people if they know much about the area, and have them give you their opinion on the birds, trees, weather, prices, cost of living, wildlife, social aspects, and recreational activities, ad infinitum - and get them talking to you, which they will.  In all the years I've been globetrotting, I've yet to meet *anyone* who wasn't eager to give me their opinion.

A business card legitimizes you as not only an known entity, but a professional.  A thousand cards on good, white stock, doesn't cost much, and they'll last you for years if you aren't advertising anything commercial.  They're also great to hand to policemen, when you get pulled over, as they can check out your website and see the pictures you post, and the paragraph you write daily.  (BLOGS are a great alternative to an actual website.  I recommend Wordpress.com .)  Be SURE to highly praise any city or general area that you plan to park in.

No LEO or other official is going to worry about you when he/she can follow your adventures on the Net.  (Do NOT link to any 'living-on-wheels' sites like this one.)  Hiding in plain sight is the best way to go in today's world, and you'll find that you'll make friends with many Police Departments, National Park Rangers, and community vendors and other businesses in areas you frequent in your preferred parking/camping locations.

Blessings to all,

Jesse.
www.jesseleighbrackstone.com
www.enroutewithjesse.com

Surprised I'm the first to thank you... Excellent points. I'll try to put them to use as I usually tell people, if I bother to talk at all, that I'm camping, on vacation, in between jobs or just visiting friends or family... Most of which is true, depending on how you look at it. I really like the blog vs website and the "travel documentary" ideas.

Just read this whole thread. First time I've "heard" so much animosity on this forum... Sad. Let people have their opinions. Don't start flaming. If someone is hot and bothered, don't reply. If you are that upset with their post, flag it. Without being there, no way of telling who is right.
Let's keep it civil here...

Anyone seen this documentary? On YouTube apparently. The website I found this article is "treehugger.com". Don't laugh, it's true! The article tells about a documentary called "Without Bound" and profiles people who have dropped the traditional American lifestyle of home ownership etc... Here's an excerpt from the article:

"Many young and old people are unsubscribing from the so-called American dream of a big home with a big lawn and a big car -- and no wonder. The economic realities of recession and the environmental impact of such a wasteful lifestyle are becoming clear to many, not to mention the fact that it ties one down to a life-long mortgage, artificially inflated property taxes due to minimum house size requirements and a life of "stuff"-acquisition that spiritually impoverishes individuals and communities.

Some have joined the slowly growing Tiny House movement; others have turned to "full-time RVing," living in motorhomes, trailers or modified vehicles, vandwelling and travelling around. With communications technology improving all the time, it's now also possible to telecommute and earn income on the road to support the nomadic lifestyle too (American "Technomads" Chris Dunphy & Cherie Ve Ard are one example of this).

But many of you may be wondering what full-time RVing is like, and what kind of people undertake this drastic kind of shift in lifestyle. American graphic designer, photographer and videographer Michael Tubbs brings us a few insights in Without Bound, a YouTube film that follows the stories of several people who made the plunge into a full-time nomadic lifestyle, following their dreams for more financial and personal freedom, less "stuff" and more connection with others and the greater world. Check it out below..."

Anyone comment??

Holy crap, it's Bob Wells narrating it!!! Why did I never hear of this before! What a dork I must be! Duhh...

I tell people all the time I live in a bus or a school bus. To expand, I say I'm a full time RVer. The average person vaguely knows what that is. I have yet to treated poorly. Before the bus, I lived in a vintage Class C RV. Before that I lived in a house. Before that I lived in a vintage hard sided popup. Usually the only people who have problems with what I live in are my family (not my kids, the rest of the family). My fulltimer daughter tells people she's a fulltime RVer or a gypsy. When people ask me where I'm from I tell them they need to pick a date and I will tell them where I was at that time. Even with buying or renting houses, we moved every 2 to 10 years.

I like the business card idea (need to do that.. maybe two cards for two businesses). I once met a couple (former antiques dealers) who supported their traveling with antiquing. They would travel around and look for antiques or neartiques to take back with them to VA to sell in an antiques shop (consignment). That was before the internet stores got so easy to use. Now you can do the same and ebay it and/or have an etsy store. It's junkin' without the tailgate fleamarket end. And once you get all set up and sell a few things to get the hang of it, translating junkin' onto ebay isn't all that hard. My biggest problem has been getting the shipping costs low (got that figured out now) and having the internet connection to list and keep track of it (park internet has been very iffy and wireless anything is iffy in Roswell). Now I just need to get my mailing supplies organized and stored, then I'm back to selling junk.

Your not selling junk, it's "other people's treasures". You are just facilitating their lifestyle choices... Now what's in my van qualifies as "junk". I have picked stuff up on the street before the trash truck came by... Years ago I used to go to the county dump and come back with more than I dropped off...

Latest posts