Moab areas may be leased to gas and oil companies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineyCruisin

Reaction score
The gobmt is selling oil and gas leases, not selling the land. The public land is still multi use. 

Oil and gas development would involve bringing in electric power and building a lot of roads to remote areas. Exploration rigs would make noise and leave a drilling pit behind. If a producing well is found, there is some traffic as the pumper checks on production. There would be a pump jack and some tanks, a drilling pit, and some noise of the putt putt of the pump jack working. And the revenues from leasing and production royalties can be used to pay for things like libraries, schools, and public works that are otherwise paid for by the taxpayers. 

As for climbing on sandstone, I prefer granite rocks to climb on. Oil and gas development does not interfere with climbing.

Maybe what you really want is no development, a roadless area that is wilderness. That sounds nice, but I would not be able to drive my van around in there if it was wilderness. 
-crofter