Monastic Nomadic

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velojym

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do I really need?
When I left my first wife, I moved into a run-down 5 bedroom house I was able to rent from some friends, cheap. I was only there to ensure it was 'lived-in'. They were renting lots out and the house just happened to be on the land when they bought it.
I used one bedroom and the bathroom. Yeah, it had all the rooms available to it, but they usually ended up just collecting stuff my friends would leave there because they didn't have room at their own places.

When I moved to another city, I rented a one-bedroom apartment. It had the standard bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and living room area. I slept on a camp cot in the living room, next to my computer desk, the only furniture I ever had in the place. Somehow, stuff started gathering in the unused spaces, and I had to get rid of most of it before moving in with my then-girlfriend (now wife).

I think some of us aren't really comfortable with having too much space, or we just aren't used to it. I lived in the tiny sleeper of a semi-truck for over 2 decades, and that was all the space I needed. Showers, entertainment, etc. weren't a problem. Showers usually came with every fuel purchase, and my primary means of entertainment was in books. Even that has lost most of its bulk, with most of my current library residing in my e-reader. (I still have quite a few physical books, but only a few I'd keep, in a paring-down)
Now there's Youtube and other forms of entertainment, but all still residing on that tiny electronic wonder. I can also work my full-time job between a laptop computer, a cellphone voip app, and a decent internet connection.

I've caught myself waffling between my HHR and Suburban. I don't have many other options, for reasons I don't care to relate in public. The idea is to sell one and keep the other. The HHR can't tow much, rated at 1000/100 (trailer/tongue), but has been reliable over the last 6 years, and is decent on gas.
The Suburban is a lot thirstier, but can also handle a trailer that would be downright luxurious to me. Fuel mileage would be mitigated by not driving 60 miles round trip every day like I did before we virtualized our office.

However...

In my last trailer, a 16' Panther, I fell back to my Trucker mode, and only really occupied the bed itself. If I wasn't outside doing something, or working (drove water trucks for oil companies), I'd just hang out on the bed. The dinette got no use... the bathroom had been gutted, so I used the gas station nearby for that. Cleaned up with stored water in the camper, and was able to shower on  a fairly frequent basis at the truck terminal. I had a propane stove installed and checked out, but I didn't use it. I warmed food on a folding sterno stove, and ran a space heater on an extension cord (with permission from the land owner).

So... what's all this leading up to? I'm not sure. It's tempting to find a trailer for the Suburban, sell the HHR to help fund, and just go with that. I still may.
But there is a LOT of pull to lead a more monastic-nomadic lifestyle. It's kinda like I used to joke about when I rode a motorcycle every day, and later when I rode my bicycle everywhere... Can't have a junky car if there's nowhere to put it all.

You don't really even need an air conditioner if you are able to follow Bob's advice on seasonal movement, as the weather out west is usually dry enough that a tiny swamp cooler will take care of most cooling needs, and of course, much has been written about portable heat.

Even if not a "rest of my life" mode, I think it would be a good way to live for a while, just to get clear of everything and be myself. The options would be limited with an HHR, and that might be a good thing. I'd probably go for a Runaway, as these fall within the tow limits of the car, and the car itself has a surprising amount of space inside for what it is. The camper would be larger inside than most of the truck sleepers I had, some of which didn't even have headroom enough to sit up.

As with any of my earlier posts, this is more an outlet for my thoughts than an actual plan. It helps to get it on screen, just to keep everything in order. If you have input, it is, of course, welcome. Negativity, for the sake of negativity, can be left outside.  
I've lived a very nomadic lifestyle for a couple decades (truck, no home, used my parents for mail), so this ain't my first rodeo... it's just a new way of doing it, which will allow me to actually visit all those places I had to pass while in an 18-wheeler.

I liked reading this, best of luck!

Surburban is big enough to sleep and work out of as well as lower cost replacement parts. Should you need something biger later it would give you the option to tow. Slowing down and Arizona allows you to follow the seasons without going many miles, build some savings and not have to worry so much about how so you can concentrate on where.

That is certainly another thing to consider. I can get about 19 mpg if I keep it below 65 and practice a little energy management. This is only a mile or two per gallon below what the HHR will probably do with even a small trailer attached, and one less registration to keep up with.
You are absolutely right about parts. GMT800 truck parts are everywhere, and cheaper than almost any other vehicle.
I could source a low-mileage engine/tranny from almost any wrecking yard for a few hundred bucks.

Love my HHR !

A truly great car which will become a sought-after classic one day (assuming we live that long :)).

It has lots of flat storage area in the back and great recliner front seats -- perfect for me 'cuz I get up a lot at night and don't like to fool around trying to get out of the back. I used to have a custom-made futon for the rear area but I quit using it because it took up too much room. Now I have a nice comfy pad/sleeping bag for the driver's seat and sleep like a baby (or at least a baby who likes to get up a lot).

Best wishes,

Johnny

I am pretty fond of Herman, which is probably causing more of my reluctance to sell than anything. The inside is surprisingly big. My former company, for which I worked in I.T. support, needed a bunch of employees and their office equipment moved one day. The IT director decided to call it a "truck day", when she'd bring her husband's pickup for larger than normal equipment moves.
She was busy when the call came to move the stuff, so I loaded it all in my HHR. It all fit... 5 desks' worth of desktop PCs, dual monitors for each, two printers, a scanner, all the IP phones, and some boxes of personal effects the employees hadn't packed yet. I could also still see out all the windows.

The dark side to that: whenever stuff needed to be moved, I was called... and it was almost impossible to find a decent parking spot after about 7:30am there, so when I got back, it was a long slog back to the office from streetside parking.

...and your second sentence holds a secret little fear of mine. My Dad sold his '57 Bel Air coupe for about $300 when it had bottomed out in value. He's still kicking himself. That brings another possibility... Dad has a spare outbuilding with a one-car garage door. I could put a cover over it and leave it there for a while.

Living outside of the vehicle is the best, but you don't want too much stuff. A good camp chair and 5' walmart folding table do me.

With either one, I'd want a tent handy, for several reasons... a little more headroom if I'm staying for a bit, some campgrounds require a tent in their spots, etc.

I'm with bullfrog. A bed platform, little desk, and storage in the Suburban would make a great little monk cell. And save a ton of money. You could always buy a trailer later if you still wanted it.

I had a small setup with a Ranger + topper that worked better than expected.

^^I keep a tent for pretty much the same reason, in case one is required to camp at a particular spot. Looks like I'll need it for some of the SWAs in Colorado. Actually looking forward to sleeping in a tent again. It'll be just like camping lol. :cool:

Having a tent also helps save your site when you go sightseeing.

Yeah, I just heard that one on one of Bob's videos. Definitely want to save your spot if you find a good one and have need to drive off for a bit.

I know I've been whiffle-waffling for a bit now, not sure whether I'm doing it more or less than anyone else here experiencing Analysis-Paralysis. I find myself with an uncomfortable (great for commuting to work, but miserable on long trips) HHR, and a VERY comfy, but expensively thirsty Suburban.
I hate buying and selling cars. I hate dealing with people in the first place (part of why this thread is mine), but when it comes time to negotiate anything, I just want to crawl into a hole and disappear.

What I've come to believe would suit me perfectly:
A small pickup with a decent towing capacity. Not a lot, just enough to make the following trailer a non-issue in most circumstances. I like the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyons, and have experience with a very similar drivetrain and systems. The simpler the better. A 4-banger, and it can be automatic this time, as my hips ain't what they used to be.
-While they aren't always the best jobs available, there is freelance work for small pickups here and there.-

Either I find a good deal on something like a Casita... or convert a 6x10 cargo trailer. As the former seems to be holding their value pretty well, I'm leaning toward the latter. I'm not a carpenter, but know my way around tools well enough that I think I can do a solid job without making it super heavy. The test on this as a choice is whether a place like Coyote Howls would allow it in their East campground. This would be, if they're ok with me, my street address.

For weekend trips and other short jaunts, I'd consider a truck bed tent, or even design a 'foamie' folding camper shell for the little pickup. Kinda like the love child of an a-liner and a standard slide-in.

This would seem ideal to me. The challenges I face, which tend to set me to rambling about the vehicles I already have... well, that's something I'm gonna need to get over at some point here.
Sorry, folks, if I've annoyed anyone with my apparent inability to just settle down and "do something!"