Great American Outdoors Act passed By Congress

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineyCruisin

Reaction score
Here's some good news that we all could use:

From article linked below:
[font=libre_franklinregular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The Great American Outdoors Act will invest up to $9.5 billion to address infrastructure into the U.S. Forest Service, National Park Service, BLM, and other agencies. On top of infrastructure improvement, the bill fully funds the Land and Water Conservation Fund and invests $900 million per year in public lands, parks, and trails.[/font]

[font=libre_franklinregular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=medium][font=libre_franklinregular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The bill calls for non-taxpayer funds to be used. These funds are coming from royalties the government gets on leases of federal land to energy companies. The bill, S.3422 states,"[/font][/font][/size]
[font=libre_franklinregular, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“…50 percent of all energy development revenues due and payable to the United States from oil, gas, coal, or alternative or renewable energy development on Federal land and water…”[/font]

For all you civic nuts out there, here's the actual bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3422/text?utm_source=RVLIFE

The full article where I got the above info: https://camperreport.com/great-american-outdoors-act/

I suspect, in order for it to pass, there had to be something to satisfy those who don't believe in public land, who believe all land is for financial gain, not preservation. So maybe the bill also makes it easier to get resource extraction leases, or decreases the amount of land protected from exploitation.

MrNoodly said:
I suspect, in order for it to pass, there had to be something to satisfy those who don't believe in public land, who believe all land is for financial gain, not preservation . . .

It's called compromise; it's what you do in a democracy.
And we gain financially from camping for free on public land: we don't pay 'rent'.

I trust no government entity to have my best interests at heart.