Minneapolis St Paul, MN area? [split] Eastern Nomads Newbies & Seasoned- Questions, Comments, Quips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMUSEd

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.
Vanlife has always been my dream. My ducks are finally in a row. Solar panels come next week, but I'm terrified to just hit the road, alone. I don't have a destination, I don't know anyone. Making friends has never been something easy for me. Anyone out there wanna come stay a few days then let me follow to make sure I've got what I need and can actually do this? I realize I'm crazy for putting myself out there like this, but if I don't, I'll still be sitting here when the snow flies again.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Might let folks here know generally where you are, then maybe you can meet up with anyone in your area.

If that doesn’t happen, I suggest some baby steps before setting out full time.

Take some couple-day trips to anywhere in driving distance, try things out, get your feet under you.

We all started with a first day, a single step.  :blush:

aMUSEd said:
Hello Everyone.
Vanlife has always been my dream. My ducks are finally in a row. Solar panels come next week, but I'm terrified to just hit the road, alone. I don't have a destination, I don't know anyone. Making friends has never been something easy for me. Anyone out there wanna come stay a few days then let me follow to make sure I've got what I need and can actually do this? I realize I'm crazy for putting myself out there like this, but if I don't, I'll still be sitting here when the snow flies again.

I always ask myself "what's the worst than can happen?" And compare that to the worst that can happen if I don't do the scary thing. It's somehow calming. Don't let fear of the unknown paralyse you. If you can drive, you can do this. And if you don't have everything you need, you'll soon find out and get what you're missing.

I don't easily make friends either.

The first little bit... Just do that. The next little bit will be easier.

WanderingRose said:
Might let folks here know generally where you are, then maybe you can meet up with anyone in your area.

If that doesn’t happen, I suggest some baby steps before setting out full time.

Take some couple-day trips to anywhere in driving distance, try things out, get your feet under you.

We all started with a first day, a single step.  :blush:
Minneapolis St Paul, MN.

Ravella and X said:
I always ask myself "what's the worst than can happen?" And compare that to the worst that can happen if I don't do the scary thing. It's somehow calming. Don't let fear of the unknown paralyse you. If you can drive, you can do this. And if you don't have everything you need, you'll soon find out and get what you're missing.

I don't easily make friends either.

The first little bit... Just do that. The next little bit will be easier.
You're so right!

You can come south and stop over at my place in KY. I have the space and one other nomad I’ve camped with plenty is here right now. I don’t how long she will stay but I can hide her keys I guess.

We are in and out of here and generally pretty busy around here but it can give you a nice free place to stay while you get your bearings.

PM me if you want more info.

Cammalu said:
You can come south and stop over at my place in KY.  I have the space and one other nomad I’ve camped with plenty is here right now. I don’t how long she will stay but I can hide her keys I guess.

We are in and out of here and generally pretty busy around here but it can give you a nice free place to stay while you get your bearings.

PM me if you want more info.
aMUSEd, making Cammalu's your first destination is a spectacular idea! I spent the winter as her neighbor and left Quartzsite knowing her to be a friend for life. She's kind, helpful, experienced, and wise.

She also has a beautiful private campground!

Ravella and X said:
aMUSEd, making Cammalu's your first destination is a spectacular idea! I spent the winter as her neighbor and left Quartzsite knowing her to be a friend for life. She's kind, helpful, experienced, and wise.

She also has a beautiful private campground!

Lala lala la la lala nose as long as a lalala lala

aMUSEd said:
Minneapolis St Paul, MN. Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Maybe drive yourself out of the Cities, even just to a hospitable WalMart, and try it out.

There are many camping options on down the River Road, too, where you could be around others if that makes you more comfortable

Good luck to you.

WanderingRose said:
Maybe drive yourself out of the Cities, even just to a hospitable WalMart, and try it out.

There are many camping options on down the River Road, too, where you could be around others if that makes you more comfortable

Good luck to you.
Good idea. Is there an app or website for places to camp? Or are you saying travel from Wal-Mart to walmart? How do I know if a Wal-Mart allows overnighters?

I like the AllStays app, which has lots of resources including campgrounds and also WalMarts.

Cammalu has invited you to her place in Kentucky, which would take several days but may be a good first destination.

Get your sea legs, figure out what you want to do.

WanderingRose said:
I like the AllStays app, which has lots of resources including campgrounds and also WalMarts.

Cammalu has invited you to her place in Kentucky, which would take several days but may be a good first destination.

Get your sea legs, figure out what you want to do.
Fabulous. I'll download it today.
Yes, I sent her a PM.
From the bottom of my heart, Thank you so very much!

WanderingRose said:

Good luck to you.
Have you heard of Boondockers Welcome? Is it just for RV's?

Boondockers Welcome requires that guests have self-contained RVs. From the website:

"A self-contained RV is one that is set up to allow all functions of living (sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation) to be handled completely while inside the RV. A toilet, sink and a built-in grey water tank are absolute requirements. Confirmation that you'll be traveling in a self-contained RV is required to purchase or activate guest privileges."

"You can come south and stop over at my place in KY."

"Sweet! "

SURE.......It's all fun and games until they make you dig ditches !!!!!

abnorm said:
"You can come south and stop over at my place in KY."

"Sweet! "

SURE.......It's all fun and games until they make you dig ditches !!!!!

Laying in your chaise long all day, like a dog in the sun, is not good for your health!

Latest posts